Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

Any update on the DC-6? Its been almost 2 years.

I think the reason I don't think it was a problem is I have big radial flight time did a lot multi-engine IFR flying without an autopilot during my military career. :smile:

Billy Bluestar

Just wondering what did u fly? My dad is an ex c-141 driver and I'm hoping to get a slot in a C-17 reserve unit next fall.

As for the PMDG DC-6 I look forward to flying over orbx Alaska and PNW somthing about taking a big plane into a small dirt/gravel strips sound fun. Maybe do cargo runs in the winter and fire bombing in the summer

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Just wondering what did u fly? My dad is an ex c-141 driver and I'm hoping to get a slot in a C-17 reserve unit next fall

My fixed wing time in the Army was C-47/R4D, T-42 and U-21 mainly. Lot's of RW time in SE Asia.

Good luck in getting that C-17 slot.

Billy Bluestar

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

With 777's autostep climb simulating the virtual relief crew for those long hauls, it shouldn't be too hard for PMDG to simulate virtual copilot and engineers.  A2A has done this very well with their B-17 and B-377 COTS package.  Yes you do have to be aware of what systems are what and what they do, but your virtual FO and FE can take care of that stuff, leaving you to fly the airplane. 

The B-17 is a beautiful flying airplane, so gentile, it flies like a big J-3 Cub.  IMHO, the P-47 is a bit harder to fly than the B-17 and 377 for the single pilot as it has all the complex radial management without the automation of a P-51 or second pair of hands.  With some practice tho, even the ultra complex P-47 is quite enjoyable to fly.

Cheers

TJ

IMHO, the P-47 is a bit harder to fly than the B-17 and 377 for the single pilot

Agree completely.  The P-47 was my intro to managing big radials, and it taught me a huge amount, but I was happy to put it aside in favor of the B-17 where you can delegate engine management to the crew.  I avoided the B377 'til the Captain of the Ship package came out and offered the same level of crew assistance - before that, every time I thought about buying it I'd read through the checklists (covering all four crew stations) and scare myself to death.  I wouldn't want to take on the DC-6 without some similar level of crew support - but PMDG ought to be able to provide that, or maybe call on their friends at A2A for an assist.

Agree, BTW, that the B-17 is an absolute pleasure to fly.  The B377, even with crew, can be more of a handful.

Speaking of PMDG and A2A - a DC-3/C-47 joint project?  What a wonderful thought.  Anybody on either team listening? (Aside, to self, under breath: ohpleaseohpleaseohplease....!)

I won't buy it because it can't be flown by one pilot?

Really?

Say the people currently flying the 737 and 777...

Yeah, I get that the 737 and 777 are both a lot more refined in the department of automation, but I think that's kind of a weak excuse.  It'd be one thing to say "it's too much work for me," but "can't be flown by one pilot" doesn't really hit the real issue.

I used to fly the DF727 all over the place.  It was a handful, but I did it.  I fly the A2A B-17 without crew controlling the various functions, too.  Sometimes I don't fly it because it's too much work for me, but it's definitely not because it "can't be flown by one pilot."

Kyle Rodgers

I hope this plane is very deep and feature rich when it comes out.

It'd be one thing to say "it's too much work for me," but "can't be flown by one pilot" doesn't really hit the real issue.

It's too much work for me.

It can be flown by one (in my case: unhappy, stressed, overworked) pilot.

Also, I never liked that updated version of Silent Hunter where as captain you had to keep track of each crew member's fatigue level and manage their rest periods.  What are your officers doing for a living?

My $.02.  Your mileage can (and probably does) vary...  B)

I hope this plane is very deep and feature rich when it comes out.

Agree.  I like crew support.  I don't like oversimplified treatments.  Never enjoyed the Just Flight multi-engine piston aircraft for exactly that reason.

I don't know if somebody mentioned this before, or even noticed that it's been almost two years. Seems as if it was only yesterday that I read about the work on DC-6 being started.

Don't judge my post - just wanted something to say ))))))

Agree. Will be the first PMDG product I will not buy - up until now I've bought everything. Not sure what the fuss is about this aircraft, but each to their own.

Doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Me neither. I'm into the modern era of aircraft. 

This is exactly how I felt (and still feel) about the 777; I never really understood all the fuss around it. 5+ hour cruise and very little actual hands on operation are not my idea of fun, but different strokes for different folks I guess.

Some optional automation of the Flight Engineer's duties would be welcome.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

I would like to see automation of the FE station.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

It's too much work for me.

It can be flown by one (in my case: unhappy, stressed, overworked) pilot.

Also, I never liked that updated version of Silent Hunter where as captain you had to keep track of each crew member's fatigue level and manage their rest periods.  What are your officers doing for a living?

My $.02.  Your mileage can (and probably does) vary... 

I'm not gonna argue with that.  Well, I'll disagree with "unhappy, stressed," and "overworked," but that's only because I live on a lot higher of a stress level than most.  I like flying planes that are more complex rather than less, but I can't disagree with those who have a lower threshold for that kind of thing.

As far as Silent Hunter and the like, I've never played Silent Hunter, but I've never been a fan of having to pay attention to other people's issues like that in games.  I'm fine thinking with a team, but I hate thinking for a team.  I'm all for looking out, but micromanaging like that just bothers me.  I'd say the plane is different, though.  I don't mind doing their tasks if the other person isn't there, but I'm not gonna sit there and tell them when and what to eat and when to nap.  That's just my take though.

(I say as I fly an ANAV departure out of LAX in an RNAV-capable aircraft, just for S&G...)

Kyle Rodgers

Not tnat interested in the T7 and still have not bought it.  I'm having a lot of fun driving my DC-9 around using VOR and ADF navigation.  Keeps me interested and that's a plane you end up really flying.  Not that interested in planes that you hit AP at 400' agl...

It's worth noting that either PMDG or Robert personally own a DC-3.  I'm guessing we will see one from PMDG at some point.

Colin in Seattle

Not tnat interested in the T7 and still have not bought it.  I'm having a lot of fun driving my DC-9 around using VOR and ADF navigation.  Keeps me interested and that's a plane you end up really flying.  Not that interested in planes that you hit AP at 400' agl...

It's worth noting that either PMDG or Robert personally own a DC-3.  I'm guessing we will see one from PMDG at some point.

Colin in Seattle

I hand fly the 777 to cruise alt and from T/D to landing. My dad when he flew the 747-400 in the realworld did the same thing. Autopilots are for cruise on long flights. If I fly a short flight in the NGX like from KLAX to KSFO or KLAS I hand fly the whole trip. Like I've said many times before this is flight simulator not auto pilot simulator.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I used to fly the DF727 all over the place.  It was a handful, but I did it.  I fly the A2A B-17 without crew controlling the various functions, too.  Sometimes I don't fly it because it's too much work for me, but it's definitely not because it "can't be flown by one pilot."

The Coolsky DC-9 is a handful too. That's been my bird of choice lately. For some reason, though, I seem to recall RSR making a vague reference to adding tools to the DC-6 to aid engine management. I don't think he meant anything as intricate as the virtual engineer on the Concorde, but something along that line.