Sign in to follow this  
Airline2Sim

Ask the Q400 pilot a question.....

Hmm not sure Ray to be honest. Do Bombardier have customer numbers like Boeing which they tag on to the end of the model designation? Maybe Brendan will pitch in....

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

I think the -402Q designates the NextGen models of the aircraft.

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

I think the -402Q designates the NextGen models of the aircraft.

Could be. Earlier it was stated that from the cockpit point of view there was not much difference in the 400Q and the NextGen, maybe a digital clock on the panel and Mode 6 GPWS.  Maybe Majestic should just upgrade to the NextGen with the next edition. hah.

Thanks guys,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Maybe bombardier should install a Yaw Damper instead of a stupid digital clock no one uses.

Maybe Majestic should just upgrade to the NextGen with the next edition

apart from the digital clock ("...that nobody uses...") what other upgrades can you see in FSX ?

banner_samdim_q400_nrw.png

bjratchf, on 30 Oct 2013 - 2:04 PM, said:bjratchf, on 30 Oct 2013 - 2:04 PM, said:bjratchf, on 30 Oct 2013 - 2:04 PM, said:

___

I don't know why exactly we must observe a 30 second cool-down on the engines (and that time begins when the engines are START/FEATHER and power lever at DISC), but it probably has to do with the ITT stabilization before shutdown, to make sure the ITT fluctuations during taxi don't involve a shock to the turbines on shutdown due to temperature extremes. That's my best guess.

Yep pretty much bang on - all turbine engines need a cool down period from operational temps at a lower RPM due to the different materials, inside the combustion and turbine sections particularly, cooling at slightly different rates and leading to contact. Turbine clearances are very slight and designed for a standard temperature..things get a bit tight if left to all cool from operating temps at their own rates.

It also helps to prevent what is called 'nozzle coking', or deposition of carbonaceous materials within the fuel nozzles and combustion chambers etc.

Of course this is just 'best practice' advised by the engine manufacturer to help preserve engine life - they won't explode without it. We regularly shut down engines in flight for restart later on. Subsequently they are going from operating temp to ambient temp, ram-air assisted, with no cooldown...still start again after we have finished patrol/found the missing yacht, mostly.

After landing we downshift #1,#2,and #4 in the P-3 to 70% low idle. Then during the taxi in after 2 minutes we can secure #1 & #4 and taxi in on #2 in normal and #3 in low. We then shut down #3 as soon as we are parked, downshift #2 and wait for 2 minutes...

Yep pretty much bang on - all turbine engines need a cool down period from operational temps at a lower RPM due to the different materials, inside the combustion and turbine sections particularly, cooling at slightly different rates and leading to contact.

Thanks for the full story. Kiwi Spitfire. Greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Hi there,

I'm on a hunt for the real life flap deploy schedule on approach.

In the tutorials there is a small indication on how to do this but not in detail and only on ILS app.

You can find charts for Boeing and Airbus telling you where to have a certain speed and flap setting.

Sadly I can't find anything describing this for this great bird the Dash8 Q400.

I hope somebody can help me out on this.

Kind regards,

Jorik

Here's the basic profile.

In the terminal area, just about to intercept final/ILS, Flaps 5 and 180kts is a good profile speed to shoot for. When GS is alive, gear down, do your landing flow. 1 dot below GS capture, flaps 15, before landing checklist- speed around 160kts. If you're planning a flaps 35 landing, continue slowing on the glide until about 145kts, then go flaps 35. If you're staying at flaps 15, just continue slowing to Vref+(wind factor) while descending on the glideslope.

Don't go to flaps 35 while in a level segment- it just drags the airplane and is uncomfortable for passengers.

Here's the basic profile.

In the terminal area, just about to intercept final/ILS, Flaps 5 and 180kts is a good profile speed to shoot for. When GS is alive, gear down, do your landing flow. 1 dot below GS capture, flaps 15, before landing checklist- speed around 160kts. If you're planning a flaps 35 landing, continue slowing on the glide until about 145kts, then go flaps 35. If you're staying at flaps 15, just continue slowing to Vref+(wind factor) while descending on the glideslope.

Don't go to flaps 35 while in a level segment- it just drags the airplane and is uncomfortable for passengers.

This is exactly the same profile as we're teaching in the AIrline2Sim training, FYI! 

This is exactly the same profile as we're teaching in the AIrline2Sim training, FYI! 

Ben, after your project gets done, come out to hawaii to visit and enjoy some mai tais!

Ben, after your project gets done, come out to hawaii to visit and enjoy some mai tais!

I'll hold you to that Brendan! Have you got a red Ferrari like Magnum PI? 

Hello,

I was wondering what is the ideal MAC% to reach when loading the Q400. I was working on the ramp but never worked with Q400. I remember that for most of jet aircraft a slightly aft CoG was best regarding fuel efficiency and maneuverability.

What about the Q400?

Keep up the good work!

Best regards,

Pierre

That aerodynamic principle still holds true of course, but to my knowledge, you can't really apply it to the daily operations of a Q400 on the short(er) routes it flies. 

Of course, when I flew the Saab 340 we had a whiz-wheel to compute the CG for each flight and could see how each change in baggage/seating could affect CG- we just had to find one that would give us an acceptable trim setting. 

In the Q400 we fed our seating/baggage load into an aerodata computer (via ACARS datalink), and it spit out performance numbers. However, trim was always within the white T/O band if we were loaded within the CG limits, and never dealt with MAC numbers. That's something we DO use on the heavies though, since we're talking about 6-10 hour flights, with a large FWD and AFT cargo compartment. The fuel/$$ savings can be very great using an AFT CG. The Q400 has an aft baggage, and a limited FWD baggage compartment on most models.