Sign in to follow this  
joherszch

Weather engines and their lack of wind gust and turbulence

For those who really want to try the best simulation of turbulence there is in Desktop simulator, try DCS P-51 under Gusting Wind. Wow.... I promise you will need a towel to wipe the sweat from your face afterwards!

Absolutely!!!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Made a quick video for weather around Cardiff (UK) ... approach to Bristol using FSGRW and AccuFeel in A2A C-172.  Seemed accurate to me ... my crosswind landings needs some work, but weather wise it "felt" about right given the conditions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsvQrwAx8O4

Ha, 'don't fly with me'. :lol:  Could be a headline for my flying too. But I think we have to be honest that it takes decent weather engines like FSGRW and the amazing A2A skills to cause a bit of sweat for us flying on rails guys.

Adding. We might even be so used to flying through all kinds of weather that programs and addons like that create a first impression of 'my system is broken'. :ph34r:

Made a quick video for weather around Cardiff (UK) ... approach to Bristol using FSGRW and AccuFeel in A2A C-172. Seemed accurate to me ... my crosswind landings needs some work, but weather wise it "felt" about right given the conditions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsvQrwAx8O4

That looked real... difficult and busy until the end. Weather was so realistic.

That looked real... difficult and busy until the end. Weather was so realistic.

Yeah, not bad for a product that is almost 7 years old ... it's amazing the life 3rd party products/utilities have manage to do for this simulator, they are the folks that should get a standing ovation ... without them, this would not be possible.

On one of my favorite MD11 videos, at the 4:00 mark he must have quite the gust to crab at such an angle to keep aligned and then a whole lot of rudder to straighten up the nose gear. So it is possible, although Ive never experienced anything significant. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roXxrOEEElM

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

If you want to test your weather engines try flying in Germany or Denmark right now. Just landed in EKOD in 71kts gusts and heavy turbulence. I have nothing bad to say about FSGRW + Accufeel in regards to turbulence and crosswind simulation. Realistic enough for me.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Not sure its a matter of a weather injecting the gust info as the limitation of the sim engine itself. Its obvious Flight done something different internally.

Did you tick 'disable wind aloft on aircraft' in fsx settings? I use AS2012 and the latest version of FSUIPC. My FSX seems alright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

None of the available weather engines portrays acceptably the up / down components of air mass movements. Those that try to do it somehow create linear movements that are applied to the aircraft as a whole and or in a pattern that make them look rather "plastic".... ( can't find a better word to express... ).

Nothing comes close to what MS FLIGHT,  Aerofly FS or X-Plane 10 offer.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

aeroflyFS wind and tubulence "feels" very realistic. That aeroflyFS weather module has a lot potential! Just hope they will soon release v2.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I don't know if it's worth the note but the guys looking for a less 'on rails' experience in FSX should of course make sure that any wind smoothing is set to off. It doesn't help to correct some s-turn problems with seriously degrading any variance while later looking out for challenging approaches. The smoothing will still keep things rather calm, by design.

So in the case of e.g. FSGRW, make sure that no other program than the weather addon tries to influence that experience. Otherwise live with the streamlined effects, which of course do show that the FSX weather system might need a kick over later and better engines. :mellow:

AeroflyFS is a whole new world for example.

Others have said this and I add to it, Accufeel from A2A allows you to set a range of  turbulence effects.  Also allows you to set ground effects.  "Flying on rails" never more.   A great program at a reasonable price. 

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

Just to support claims regarding the quality of FSGRW, I experience very good turbulence effects with that weather engine with a bit of help from Accu-Feel and EZdok. Three excellent addons.

JJ

Others have said this and I add to it, Accufeel from A2A allows you to set a range of  turbulence effects.  Also allows you to set ground effects.  "Flying on rails" never more.   A great program at a reasonable price. 

I have Accufeel. Very nice it is too although I use OpusFSX for generating my weather and it does an excellent job. It managed to replicate the storm we had here in the UK earlier this week to a very realistic degree. It was throwing my poor little Chipmunk around all over the sky. Great fun (whilst on the ground!).

Make sure you set up OpusFSX correctly. It takes a bit of time as the GUI is pretty confusing IMO.

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg