Sign in to follow this  
Cat_Dad

Run FSX on a Win 7 Laptop?

I have not bought a boxed computer in years and do not know if a laptop with win7 will run FSX. I currently have a Q8400 intel with a ati 4650 video card and 2 gb of ram on a 10 year old ADI 19" monitor.

Except for all of the fan noise from my 10 year old computer box 6 fans, FSX seems to work ok locked at 30 FPS. I am running XP os.. From what I have read in the forums, win 8 is not a good way to go at this time with FSX and staying with win 7 is much better.

Can I get the same or better performance from a laptop computer and then plug in a larger (24 plus inch) monitor) when running FSX?

Terry

Laptops are really a suboptimal platform for FSX...the optimizations made in their design to minimize power consumption and heat typically result in diminished performance in flight sim, which needs a fast CPU and fast 3D graphics pretty much continuously while it's running.

Can it be done?  Yes.  Can it be done well?  Not especially, and then only with a very expensive high-end gaming laptop.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Hi Col.

Thank you for both your service in uniform and here on the forum. I understand where you are coming from on the performance and heat problems. I use to work on the F-4E and F-111D flight simulators  and they took a whole room full of electrons and several commercial grade air-conditioning systems to cool them down. Now more power sits on our desk/laps than in those bays.

I was hoping to use the laptop for double duty as a gaming platform and have more than just a tablet for around the house needs. Kind of like taking a air superiority fighter and hanging iron bombs on it and expecting it to still shoot down the bad guys.

Regards

Terry Turner

Tsgt, USAF (ret)

CFI, Aircraft Dispatcher

Hi Col.

Thank you for both your service in uniform and here on the forum. I understand where you are coming from on the performance and heat problems. I use to work on the F-4E and F-111D flight simulators  and they took a whole room full of electrons and several commercial grade air-conditioning systems to cool them down. Now more power sits on our desk/laps than in those bays.

I was hoping to use the laptop for double duty as a gaming platform and have more than just a tablet for around the house needs. Kind of like taking a air superiority fighter and hanging iron bombs on it and expecting it to still shoot down the bad guys.

Regards

Terry Turner

Tsgt, USAF (ret)

CFI, Aircraft Dispatcher

And thank you for your service, Terry.

If you want to run flight sim on a laptop, you might also consider FS9...it actually runs very well on many newer high-end laptops (must have a 3D card and not integrated graphics).  FSX, OTOH, still needs every bit of processing power you can throw at it, and laptops generally make compromises in that processing power to enhance portability and long battery life. 

I've tried FSX on a "gaming" laptop, whose weight and power requirements make it more of a portable desktop computer than an on-the-go mobile computing platform, and it ran FSX at a minimally acceptable level in terms of frame rate and image quality, but not nearly as well as a mid-range desktop for far less money.  It might be that two computers--a mid-level desktop for flight sim and a low-end laptop for portable web access etc--might be a cheaper, better solution than a costly high-end laptop capable of running FSX with acceptable performance.

Cheers

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

That is what I have been thinking about since writing the post here yesterday, going to two computers.

Terry

I run it on the Satellite L755. It works smooth but you will get the heating issue.  Have tried all types of cooling for the laptop but it does not work.

I ran it for a couple of hours and it has also reached 99-100 C :) 

Mine's an i5 2430m with GT525m.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Can it be done?  Yes.  Can it be done well?  Not especially, and then only with a very expensive high-end gaming laptop.

Depends on what you call expensive.

I have FSX running on a Lenovo Y500:

i7 3630QM 3.4 GHz

2x GT650m SLI

1920x1080px 15/6"

16GB RAM (Kingston HyperX)

2X SSD (1x Samsung 840PRO 256GB, 1x 256GB Crucial m4)

With FSX in DX10, using the fixer, all sliders maxed except of roadtraffic (=0) and whater (2.x medium), I get about 18-22 FPS at OMDB with 100% traffic in UT2 with the latest schedule while flying the NGX..

Temps reach about 88 degrees C, using a laptop cooler.

Erik

What got me back into flight simming and FSX was when I purchased an HP Pavilion G6 laptop a while back. It has a dual core 2.0 GHz processor setup, and I brought the memory up to 8 GB. It ran FSX quite well, and with moderate settings on scenery, Megasceneryearth's 2.0 scenery and frame rates locked at 30. Traffic was set to zero, or course, but hooked to an external monitor, I really had no real problems. It did seem to run a little hot at times, and I only went to a desktop because I got a good deal on craigslist on a quad-core machine.

I too have FSX on an HP Pavilion G6 with the standard 4GB of memory and have no problems either with reasonable setting. I don't know if it runs hot because I never bother checking

I am running fsx on Satellite, ya she gets hot but I kept the CPU speed to 2.2 Ghz and all scenery settings on Max except water and special effects. 

Of course no addons except Oscars clouds , NL2000 and a couple aircrafts, plus I am trying FSDT Kjfk and I am pulling highs of 29 and lows of 17 and that also barely goes to 17,

I have coolermaster it may cool everything else but I have not seen a temp drop on my laptop. 

Maybe the Coolermaster U3 would a different and better one for cooling.

@Ironmaiden: I´ve removed the bottom lid on my G73JH, temps dropped considerably using the U3 on full speed.

@Ironmaiden: I´ve removed the bottom lid on my G73JH, temps dropped considerably using the U3 on full speed.

LOL, even if I remove the bottom panel on my laptop I would expect the temps to drop. Try it with the lid and post the temp results including at what clock speeds as that would give a better idea.

Mmmm, I run FS9 & P3D on a i5, 4gb ram with no problems at all, for the last 2 years. I belong to a VA here in Cape Town, & take my laptop along to the meetings with my CH products yoke & pedals. I'm not concerned at all about frames, as we cannot recognise more than 25fpm anyway. As long as things are smooth, I'm happy. So, yes, the sims do run on a laptop. 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond...