Sign in to follow this  
DC10

NOTAM re: United Traffic Team AI CRJ900/100 copyright breaches

Dear All,

I have decided to post here so you are aware of the actions by a group called UTT (United Traffic Team) which is a group which releases AI models as freeware, but also sell the sources of their models for profit. http://unitedtrafficteam.com/

Throughout my time in the FS freeware community as a painter, I have (sadly) witnessed countless attempts by people breaching copyrights (stealing other's works), selling freeware as their own product on websites and so forth - these are nothing new but what I have seen recently, in my opinion, is extremely disturbing and disappointing.

I was informed that this group had reverse-engineered freeware models, subsequently modified them and released as their own work (AI and source models) (without permission or crediting the original authors). They are selling these source models for profit.

The following links are dedicated to covering this matter:

http://www.alpha-india.net/forums/index.php?topic=17637.0

http://talk.pafs.wf/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2837&p=25014#p25014

While I cannot personally vouch for the claims regarding the B737-200 and B747-800 AI models - I know for certain that they have stolen Hiroshi Igami's CRJ900/1000 models (which are available in the AVSIM library). 

Based on Hiroshi's analysis, the fuselage wireframes are nearly an exact match besides some modification work (to reduce the polygons). Below is the evidence:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10200899380910987.1073741880.1359007212&type=1&l=6cb1801994

During the development phase of the original model, it was known there were a couple of deficient areas of the model which was not fixed before release. Unsurprisingly the UTT model also have the same errors.

Here is their store where they sell the model source (which is essentially a modification of Hiroshi's work without permission):

http://unitedtrafficteam.com/index.php/store1/3d-models-source/item/bombardier-crj-1000-3ds-max-source-model

I also became aware that they have copied a number of my textures from the CRJ900/1000 in the source model which they are selling.

When confronted a spokesperson from their group claimed they did not steal other's work and were adamant that it was their original work. 

They then admitted on facebook to have 'simply borrowed' 5% of Hiroshi's model.

The takehome message with this is - be careful of these people and it may be worth investigating if you suspect your work has been stolen.

Note to moderators: maybe this should be listed on the wall of shame...

I have been following this topic for a while, not only do they admit to stealing other developers models... they also go and tell those developers to bang their heads against a wall if they're frustrated!

UTT should be publicly shamed for this obvious breach of ethics and their downloads I feel should be removed from AVSIM if any exist.

Absolutely ridiculous!

TfDM5CA.jpg

Joseph Chamberlain

FAA ADX

Yes, this is disappointing.  I very much appreciate the movement towards native FSX AI models, but not when it's done in this manner. 

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

The thing about the members of UTT is that this isn't the 1st time they have done this.
The leader of the group is in New York City..therefore the long arm of the law can get to him.
What's even worse is that they are doing this with certain Payware models as well.. And the payware companies are aware of it and pursuing legal action. So their days are numbered. But the blatant disrespect they have sown to not just the developers but to the FS Community as whole is unacceptable and word needs to spread viral throughout the community, and developers as well as end users need to step it up and start blasting UTT publicly.
 UTT has basically declared war on the entire MSFS Community by engaging in their criminal activity and is pretty much spitting in our faces.
Whats bad is that some people I have talked to have said to just ignore UTT, but how can we sit back and just "ignore" UTT when they are stealing?
So the question at hand is, Where do we as a Community draw the line?..I say right here, right now.

Stand as one voice and shout so loud that UTT's members crawl back in whatever hole in the ground they came out of.

Note to moderators: maybe this should be listed on the wall of shame...

Dickson, we will be doing exactly that shortly. Thanks for pointing this out to us.