Sign in to follow this  

Crosswind into Bristol in A2A C-172 ... don't fly with me.

unless you eat light and bring a brown bag! ;)

I don't see any reason not to fly with ya, you just need a little help with crosswind landings in the Cessna! 16kts at a 70 degree angle to the runway is a challenge indeed, but if approached the right way it's manageable. I see you utilizing the crab/stomp method wherein you crab the aircraft to the runway, then stomp the rudder to line it up and touch down. This is fine for airliners, but with lighter and more delicate aircraft like the C172, you're gonna need to go about it a different way. Basically what you want to do is use a combination of aileron and rudder to arrest drift while maintaining center line. For this video here, you'd need a left bank to correct for the crosswind trying to push you to the right. Now, unassisted this will make your aircraft turn to the left, and you don't want that. What you need to do is add the appropriate amount of rudder to just line the center of the aircraft up with the center of the runway. This will seem awkward, as you're almost slipping the A/C down to the runway, but it is crucial for prevention of side loading the landing gear. This correction can be applied ~200-300 feet above the runway on short final, and should be held all the way to touchdown, even if it means landing on one wheel first! Main gear in large commercial aircraft are built to handle a lot of side load, but the little tires and struts on your Cessna are not. 
I hope this helps! 

Happy landings.

Elijah Hoyt
747ST.jpg
CFI, CFII, CMEL, CSEL, CSES, IFR

I'm more concern why ATC cleared the service vehicle to cross when you were on short final!

aileron and rudder to arrest drift while maintaining center line.

So if I understand you correctly, left bank with some opposite rudder ... thank you for flying tip, I desperately needed it.  Will have to try this again, FSGRW archives data so I should be able to duplicate it.

I'm more concern why ATC cleared the service vehicle to cross when you were on short final!

Yeah, that was a shocker ... and this is why I turn off crash detection.

This video shows you how the controls look in a crosswind takeoff/landing. Have to say the most fun i've had with X-Wind landings in real life was my first Assymetric circuits lesson for my Twin rating, coming down in max X-wind conditions on one engine will let you know how good you are at it!

So if I understand you correctly, left bank with some opposite rudder ... thank you for flying tip, I desperately needed it.  Will have to try this again, FSGRW archives data so I should be able to duplicate it.

Yeah, that was a shocker ... and this is why I turn off crash detection.

Hi robains,

It's a cross-control landing. You are basically using the rudder to point the nose straight down the runway, and using aileron to steer the plane in.

In a left cross wind situation, your nose will be pointing left of centre, at about 400 to 300ft, apply rudder until the nose is pointing directly down the runway. The plane will want to drift to the right now, so you will add some left aileron to compensate and maintain alignment with the runway (Generally you will add rudder and aileron simultaneously, that comes with practice). Now you are in a side slip, so the plane will have increased its drag, speed will drop and then your descent rate will increase, so you need to adjust power to maintain your approach profile.

the idea of the cross control approach is that once you have the nose pointed straight down the runway, you won't need to adjust the rudder. You basically plant your feet down where they are, and use the ailerons to "STEER" the plane to the runway adjusting for any wind changes.

Once you have mastered this technique, x-wind landings will be a breeze! You will be able to add rudder, aileron and power all at once, and you won't even have to think twice about it!

Happy flying,

Diego

Neat video, and some great tips.  Good timing, since I just did a crosswind landing in the 172 last night - scrubbed a good amount of rubber off the tires, by the sound it made!  Will take these suggestions into account next time!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

This video shows you how the controls look in a crosswind takeoff/landing.

Great video thank you!    Thanks for all the tips/info ... very helpful.

Are flaps used at all with strong crosswinds - I'm assuming no as there will be more than enough lift from wind speed?

You got it down, not too low as you flew over my house .. Mind you ... You should have gone around with that vehice crossing!

I am thinking of going back/trying vfr scenery again.

Do you use EGGD much? If so pm me.

Good job.

Rich

Do you use EGGD much?

Funny you should mention that, I just bought UK2000 Bristol airport this morning to see how it is different from what I have.