Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ken_Salter

I just received this interesting e-mail..........

Guest Lindy

... purportedly from MS corporation about some critical update. As follows:MS Customerthis is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to protect your computer from these vulnerabilities, the most serious of which could allow an attacker to run code on your system. This update includes the functionality of all previously released patches. I've never heard of MS sending out patches/updates by e-mail before. This e-mail arrived with an "install.exe" file which I do NOT plan to install. The e-mail appeared very official with an apparent link to the MS Knowledge Base.Has anyone else every received such an attachment? Is it legit? What's the best way for me to find out?Thanks in advance.-Lindy :-wave

Guest Dee Waldron

Don't!Dee Waldron (HJG)

Guest Lindy

Thank you... that's what I thought I should do.Consider it gone ... just like Isabel. :-)-Lindy :-beerchug

Hi Lindy,Microsoft does not send out unsolicited e-mails, they will only send replies to requests for support etc. These have a unique reference number in the subject line, which will have been allocated to you at the time you made the request. Also, MS will not send attachments, but include download links instead. And the link will not start the download directly, but will open the page that contains the link (MS want you to agree to the licence terms before you start downloading :)).Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Guest Ken_Salter

W32.Swen.A@mm is a mass-mailing worm that attempts to spread through file-sharing networks, such as KaZaA and IRC, and attempts to kill antivirus and personal firewall programs running on a computer. The worm arrives as an email attachment. The subject, body, and From: address of the email may vary. Some examples claim to be patches for Microsoft Internet Explorer, or delivery failure notices from qmail.W32.Swen.A@mm is similar to W32.Gibe.B@mm in function, and is written in C++.Also Known As: Swen [F-Secure], W32/Swen@mm [McAfee], W32/Gibe-F [sophos], Worm Swen.A Infection Length: 106496 Systems Affected: Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP Systems Not Affected: DOS, Linux, Macintosh, Microsoft IIS, OS/2, UNIX, Windows 3.x I have recieved 3 of these emails today! I run Avast anti virus - caught it every single time...http://saltydogfly2.avsim.net/images/avsim_sig.jpg"Ah, the Luftwaffe - the Washington Generals of the History Channel." - Homer Simpson