Sign in to follow this  
windshearDK

Planning my first polar route, anything I have to keep in mind?

Besides watching my fuel temperature, are there other things I have to keep in mind?

I mean can I leave my sim? Or do I need to have true/magnetic heading turned on at set parts of the trip?

Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I haven't flown Polar routes yet, but next time, clicking "submit" once is more than enough ;-)

LOL yeah I am sorry, but it said "Service unavailable" so I created the topic again

Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

I can't remember if I read it or my FedEx buddy told me but I believe the true/magnetic automatically changes when you pass a specific parallel.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

Suggest you open the FCTM, type polar into the search field and read the topic on page 4.16. Primary roll mode is LNAV with heading mode NORMAL (magnetic not true).

Dan Downs KCRP

LOL yeah I am sorry, but it said "Service unavailable" so I created the topic again

Note it said "service unavailable," and not "topic didn't post."  :wink:

Kyle Rodgers

I am still flying my first polar route and you don't have to change your heading to true but if you want it to be as real as possible then do it. But I haven't gone off course and half and hour left on my flight so good luck and make sure to sleep. KSFO TO OMDB 14 hour flight....

Dane Quartel 

I am still flying my first polar route and you don't have to change your heading to true but if you want it to be as real as possible then do it. But I haven't gone off course and half and hour left on my flight so good luck and make sure to sleep. KSFO TO OMDB 14 hour flight....

I did that route just yesterday. PFPX said it would be 15:42h and it took me 15:40h (i got an visual approach...) and the fuel burn was within 100kg (!) of the calculated amount. AMazing combination of two awesome products!

http://www.vataware.com/flight.cfm?id=12534144

btw, here an pilot of EK in a presentation about polar ops and what to do for preparation:

Have fun!

Regards,
Chris Volle

i7700k @ 4,7, 32gb ram, Win10, MSI GTX1070.

When you have chance can you export the flight plan so I can see.

thanks.

Here you go!

Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

Thanks Boaz for your time on getting it out to me. 

This Website is very cool.

ALB

Giancarlo