Sign in to follow this  
perryfincher

Runway Slope

How do one finds the runway slope and how is it entered into the FMC?

Thanks

Good question, only x-plane has real sloped runways. FSX no, unless the scenerist decide to draw into the scenery. FSX world is flat.

There must be a dedicated slot into INIT PERF page (with DN/UP) where to insert the value, but it's pure fictional. it's a shame because sloped runways add very realism to the sim.

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

How do one finds the runway slope and how is it entered into the FMC?

Thanks

Depends on the area of the world, but you'll find them on the airport charts for the airport (specifically the taxiway diagrams).  Here in the States, you can also have a look at AirNav.com.

Kyle Rodgers

Back during the classroom days, we were taught a simple rule of thumb for this kind of stuff, one of which was the runway slope.

You pick the runway you're planning on departing from, subtract the lower end elevation of the runway from the higher end elevation, divide that number with the runway length (making sure the SI unit is the same for all calculations) and multiply it by a 100 to get your answer in %. 

Depending on which side you're rolling to at take off thrust, you'd know if it's uphill or downhill.

I'm assuming the T7 CDU has allowance for a single digit before and after the decimal point with the letter 'D' or 'U' entered with the number (downslope and ups, respectively).

Krazyk,

Thanks for the information.

If I understand you correctly, in looking at KSFO airport diagram:

If I were to pick departure runway 10R, I would do the following?

Elevation at RNWY 10R is 6 and opposite end which is RNWY 28L at elevation of 13

Subtract 13-6=7

Divide 7 by RNWY length of 10,602 = .0006602

Mulitply .0006602 X 100 = 0.066%

So I would enter in FMC of the T7 for runway slope: U0.7/Dry (Wet).

I think I understand it correctly. 

Thanks everyone

I would do the following?

Yep, that's right. Although for such small differences, I'd usually just leave it at 0 but yes if you'd like to be accurate then that's exactly what you would do. Just be sure to match the SI units (mtrs to mtrs and feet to feet) (:

Glad I could help. Happy flying!

U0.7/Dry

0.066 rounds up to 0.1, not 0.7.

Aamir Thacker