Sign in to follow this  
MatthewL

Taking Off Issue - MJC Dash 8

Hello, I'm having issues taking off.. whenever I begin rolling for takeoff, once I pass 40-50KTS the plane becomes not able to rudder and will veer off the runway to the left.. Even if I set a rudder trim. It flies fine otherwise but the takeoff is my only issue. I'm using the Saitek Yoke with no pedals.

Just want to know if its a simple thing I am doing wrong, or maybe something wrong with my controller?

Thanks.

Are you using a separate axis for nose wheel steering? Ie are you using the rudder pedals to taxi?

Are you using a separate axis for nose wheel steering? Ie are you using the rudder pedals to taxi?

I'm using autorudder and steering with the yoke. So no im not.

I even changed it to steer with the spoiler axis, it wont even let me rudder or steer while taking off on the runway, it just veers to the left, won't even let me correct it :/

Ah I plugged in my good ol joystick, and the problem is gone. I guess it was the yokes problem. I was considering selling my yoke anyways, so no probs for me :)

Joystick will do just fine. 

I've found that if your yoke is not perfectly centered, it can cause some initial steering on the beginning takeoff roll, which can get out of hand (like when I added wind correction)- however after 30-40kts this function goes away, and you fully steer with your feet.

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

That actually isnt the problem, I can't steer the rudders with the yoke in the aircraft, only the tiller. I changed the tiller to the spoiler axis so its off my yoke, but when I try to steer with my yoke to rudder the rudders don't respond. It's just happens in this aircraft...

Sounds like you need a rudder axis. This aircraft requires quite a bit of rudder to stay straight on takeoff roll.

Can I digress here to a different taking-off issue I have - speed?

Last year, I returned to flight simming after an absence of 14 years. In the past year, I have been slowing increasing the degree of sophistication with which I am coming to grips with it. However, I have not even started to master the FMC and, thus, fly manually or using the AP. Those limitations are reasonably successful.

Last week, I bought the Dash 8-400 even though last year I had had no luck in getting the Majestic Dash 8-300 to work properly.

I have read through the 400 Pilots Notes/manual. Although I reckon that I am no slouch when it comes to reading documentation (I have practised as a lawyer for over 40 years), there are parts of the document which I can't come to grips with.

When I first started the installed product, I could not steer the aircraft and it taxied in reverse. Somehow, I overcome those problems.

I then set trim for take-off and applied full throttle at Geneva but could achieve only about 80 knots and no lift-off when I ran out of runway (approx 12,800 feet) on two attempts.

What am I doing wrong?

When I first started the installed product, I could not steer the aircraft and it taxied in reverse. Somehow, I overcome those problems.

I then set trim for take-off and applied full throttle at Geneva but could achieve only about 80 knots and no lift-off when I ran out of runway (approx 12,800 feet) on two attempts.

1: The Q400 properly simulates the propellers beta range. Therefore when your physical throttle is at 0, your engines are at maximum reverse. Push them forward to the 'DISC' detent. this is 0 power. This addon also properly simulates the nose wheel steering system. You will need to select an axis to use for this. (Spoiler axis)  I use a separate joystick off to the side as a tiller.

2: Sounds like you still have the gust lock on. You will see a bar that go's across the throttle quadrant in front of the power leavers. Click on it and it should move back, allowing you to go to full power.

Can I digress here to a different taking-off issue I have - speed?

Last year, I returned to flight simming after an absence of 14 years. In the past year, I have been slowing increasing the degree of sophistication with which I am coming to grips with it. However, I have not even started to master the FMC and, thus, fly manually or using the AP. Those limitations are reasonably successful.

Last week, I bought the Dash 8-400 even though last year I had had no luck in getting the Majestic Dash 8-300 to work properly.

I have read through the 400 Pilots Notes/manual. Although I reckon that I am no slouch when it comes to reading documentation (I have practised as a lawyer for over 40 years), there are parts of the document which I can't come to grips with.

What am I doing wrong?

To me it sounds entirely like calibration issues ......... you have opened up the MJC84 Control Panel, (in your Windows Start menu) and set up all of your calibrations?

Your steering issue sounds like you haven't set up your Tiller in the control panel, and your "lack of power" sounds like your throttles and/or props axes aren't set up properly.

This is a hugely complex portrayal of the Q400;  it's not an old FS95 style, kick the tyres and push the power forward type of aircraft.  I don't say that to patronize, but if you've been out of the hobby for 14 years, things have progressed a lot!

Whether you're a lawyer or a garbage truck driver makes no difference in this hobby.    Being a lawyer is not a credential to intelligence or cleverness.   There are plenty of lawyers here who constantly prove that fact! ..... and there are plenty people with 'menial' professions and jobs that have mastered every inch of this hobby.