Sign in to follow this  
iainsmith

Ground equipment attached in the air

Having saved the tutorial flight in FSX and panel state in the FMC on reaching FL380, because RL intervened, the next day I reloaded it. In the cockpit everything was fine and the flight resumed as if there had not been a break.

However, when I looked at a spot view I saw an item of ground equipment attached as in the attached screenshots. Also, later on, after lowering the gear I saw that the wheel chocks were still in place.

When I saw the ground equipment attached I went in to the FMC to see if they were showing as selected there but no all ground items were greyed out as they are after you de-select them.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Iain Smith

Yes it happened to me too, I was flying an AutoSaved flight, I completed the flight without any issues, but still...

Mark

Mark Zanzig

You're also missing more stuff in the engines.

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

That happens because you load the PMDG777 and load the PMDG on itself again.

After a flight with the PMDG777 you have to first load another aircraft and start the flight too I think.

Then close the flight and you can then select the PMDG777 again.

I just close and restart FSX after each PMDG777 flight which takes care of it as well.

Also dont make the PMDG777 your default flight!

(this info is also in the tutorial)

Rob Robson

That happens because you load the PMDG777 and load the PMDG on itself again.

Thanks for all your responses. Thinking about it Rob you're right. I did what I normally wouldn't do - selected the 777 as the aircraft but only as far as getting it to appear spinning in the window. I then selected the saved flight. My thinking at the time was that FSX might not cope with having to re-load a complex aircraft as well as the flight situation but clearly I was wrong.

I'll try again to prove the point.

Iain

Thanks for all your responses. Thinking about it Rob you're right. I did what I normally wouldn't do - selected the 777 as the aircraft but only as far as getting it to appear spinning in the window. I then selected the saved flight. My thinking at the time was that FSX might not cope with having to re-load a complex aircraft as well as the flight situation but clearly I was wrong.

I'll try again to prove the point.

Iain

I did the exact same thing a few times :-). Didnt realize that that is considered loading the 777 on top of itself either. Now it makes sence of course. Would be the same as making the 777 the default aircraft and then load another 777 flight.

I was thinking maybe you could make the 777 the default aircraft if you put "disableprelaod=1" in the FSX.cfg.

(I dont have it in mine at the moment because I read somewhere this can cause problems with Aerosoft scenerys.)

Rob Robson

Every time I see this I immediately think of Con-Air where they're towing the car behind them.

Sorry. Not contributing in the slightest. Just amused and bored at work.

Load up FSX (default trike whatever)

Load a Flight (don't select 777 first)

FSX will load straight into the saved state with the normal 777

If you select the 777 first, it will load up towing the ground power unit around the sky.

I have always heard that for high-end aircraft you have to switch to a default aircraft and start the games once before switching back to your PMDG 777, PMDG 747X, VRS F-18E etc... I just restart my PC.

Xaver Uzo

fs2crew_747_banner4.png

I have always heard that for high-end aircraft you have to switch to a default aircraft and start the games once before switching back to your PMDG 777, PMDG 747X, VRS F-18E etc... I just restart my PC.

Not true. In fact, the PMDG intro manual mentions this issue specifically

(Quoted from the manual):

A few notes to keep you from running into trouble:

 There is a common misconception that when loading a complex simulation like the PMDG 777-200LR/F that you should first load the default Cessna into the simulator, then load the PMDG 777-200LR/F. This is not a factual conception and in fact we do not recommend the practice at all. What is required however is for a default Microsoft aircraft to be your default startup flight in FSX. The reason for this is that this flight actually loads in the background invisible to the user – if it’s set to a complex addon it can result in the setting of certain internal variables that the 777 relies on that cannot be reset until the simulator is restarted. We identified this issue as far back as 2006 and asked Microsoft to fix it, but it unfortunately never happened.

 One shortcoming of all PMDG products for FSX is that our products do not like to be "re-loaded" on top of themselves. This means that if you have one livery or variant of the airplane selected and running within the simulation world (say, a 777F) and you wish to change liveries to a different 777F, you will need to shut down the simulator and then select the new variant or livery you wish to switch to from scratch. If you load a 777 livery or variant on top of itself you will see strange issues in the cockpit, FSX may CTD or otherwise crash etc.

 Setting the PMDG 777-200LR/F as your default flight can cause the same behavior described above from reloading it on top of itself. The default flight is loaded in the background as you start FSX and thus if the 777 is your default flight and you then select another variant, it loads on top of itself even though you may not actually see it happen. Keep the default flight as one using a default Microsoft aircraft and you won’t have any issues with this.

Priever - Thank you! I will now simply shut down the simulator instead of rebooting.

Xaver Uzo

fs2crew_747_banner4.png