Sign in to follow this  
Hoochy

New Nvidia GForce Driver Seems to be Excellent for FS9

Hi All,

I spotted a thread on the X-Plane forum about the new Nvidia Driver 331.58 smoothing the sim. I upgraded my driver to the latest GEforce one for my Nvidia GTX550i and I have to say it is a much smoother FS9 flying experience. Flew from EGLL to EICK with heavy cloud, rain, Heathrow Extreme from UK2000 and it was silky smooth all the way through. Why, I don't have a clue but who cares.. I am running FS9 with 4 Screens (Matrox TH2G for main views and side monitor for charts etc..) Hope it works for you.

All the best, John

Hi John

I've noticed exactly the same. You fly smoothly through heavy clouds indeed. However, the ground textures are not as sharp as before and I've noticed weird lighting

effects on aircraft in spot view.

As a result I rolled back to my previous driver.

Do you notice any differences in the display of ground textures and aircraft colour shading?

I have the same video card as u.

Regards

Trevor

Hi John

I've noticed exactly the same. You fly smoothly through heavy clouds indeed. However, the ground textures are not as sharp as before and I've noticed weird lighting

effects on aircraft in spot view.

As a result I rolled back to my previous driver.

Exactly same reflection and exactly same conclusion!

Bernard

Use nvidia inspector? Maybe new driver has some different(lower)settings by default, which would lead to better performance and worse graphics

I`v sent mine down,not what i expected,the textures are infected by some new fangled gizmo that does not do FS9 any justice,not so nice one Nvidia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I`v sent mine down,not what i expected,the textures are infected by some new fangled gizmo that does not do FS9 any justice,not so nice one Nvidia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you post a screen shot?

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

Hmmm, so you are upset with Nvidia for developing their drivers for newer games/sims and not double checking it doesn't break our beloved 10 year old sim first.  

Also, if it is some new fangled gizmo really breaking things then chances are it can be disabled in nvinspector but to get upset because the latest drivers optimized for DX10/11 may break something or are not optimized for FS9 is simply ridiculous...  You don't develop drivers for a sim released in 2003 that generates zero revenue you develop them for the latest games that are generating $$$millions. That is business 101.

It has been well known for a while that any improvements at this point are purely coincidental and there is ALWAYS a chance the latest driver will break something else.  Not sure why you are surprised.

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Can someone advise whether I should install these drivers myself?

Ghiom

Can someone advise whether I should install these drivers myself?

Ghiom

I believe you can install them yourself. There really not that heavy.

Sorry, the question was rather, are they really worth it, from performance and quality improvement?

Thks

Sorry, the question was rather, are they really worth it, from performance and quality improvement?

Thks

Oh Ok. :) Only you can decide that. Give it a try you can always roll back. Personaly I dont install the latest drivers just because someone claims there better. I'm still and probably always will use 314.22 just because I find it the most stable.

While on the topic of new drivers, I can report that the new drivers for AMD HD video cards that are being used with Windows 8.1 systems also are doing a nice job on my mid-range Dell system.  The only exception is that I had to download the drivers from the Dell site rather than directly from AMD Catalyst site, for reasons unknown.  The Catalyst Control Center would just not show up until I got the same driver from Dell's tech support page.  The reflectivity on aluminum panels and the ground detail are noticeably better. Frame rates are good too and I have dropped my FR lock to 30 from the previous 60 without much difference in smoothness, even with the frame-hungry payware planes I run.  REX clouds are pretty amazing too.