Sign in to follow this  
scotchegg

Froogle agrees XP is the future. And....

Couldn't get a smooth enough feed to watch it well, but did see enough to see the clouds in action. Looking fantastic as we all knew it would!

One thing John, you said to Pete in the stream that HDR isn't optimized yet so turn it off - will this be sorted by release or is it a deeper problem that LR need to sort with the HDR coding?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Oh, by the way, there's a new Xplane beta today? (10.25b2) Is anybody besides me getting that alert?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

This really feels like Deja vu!!!

Nope!

This time it's for good :-)  :P

I'm torqued, MAXXed, Froogled... That never happened before!

It wasn't even a tough decision, given all of the good things happening lately on X-Plane's World :-)

Also, concentrating on a single platform is really mandatory, for saving time and money...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Nope!

This time it's for good :-)  :P

I'm torqued, MAXXed, Froogled... That never happened before!

I'm marking this post.................   :Nerd: 

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I'm marking this post.................

Good idea!!!!!

I'm not saying the others aren't good! No way!!! Today, for instance, a new version  of a toolkit for MS FLIGHT was made available. A2A are continuing to work on their add-ons, PMDG on an update for the 777, P3D v2 should be made available anytime soon... This is all great news, and I really do not believe a huge migration from their users into X-Plane will happen in the near future, specially now that LM P3D v2 is going to offer, most certainly, better performance and graphics for it's users - it's going to be a great update, I'm sure!

It's just a question of managing my time and objectives. And of course, there having been some good signs of commitment of the core devs to some problems that still make users uneasy with some aspects of X-Plane 10, I think that I'm in the right track ;-)

Add to it the fact that I was able to perform a series of great FF WL 777 flights, giving me the exact same joy that I got from the PMDG WL 777, and I feel - finally - at home with X-Plane 10, looking forward for the many good things that are going to happen real soon !

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Great decision!

I just TRASHED ALL  ( read ALL !!! ) of my other sims - I'm XPLANOFROOGLEMAXXMIZED!!!! :P

I'm flying my beautiful FF WL 777, looking forward for their 757, for a good A320 between the three available, for the FJS 727, the iXEG 737, a good Beechcraft from Carenado, the Saab 340, Sky MAXX Extreme, and basically anything that moves and smells like X-Plane 10 :-)

:lol:  I don't think I'll trash anything yet. I enjoy FSX and all my many quality addons. But XPlane is starting to shape up and developers are beginning to make some decent addons. So starting to save some cash on the side to dabble in XPlane makes sense for me.

The real fun will be when we see the thread:

"PMDG releases ??? for XPlane."

:lol:  I don't think I'll trash anything yet. I enjoy FSX and all my many quality addons. But XPlane is starting to shape up and developers are beginning to make some decent addons. So starting to save some cash on the side to dabble in XPlane makes sense for me.

IXEG will humble PMDG upon release.

IXEG will humble PMDG upon release.

Wow! Those screens are amazing. I don't know about "humble" but peers for sure if the flight model is there.

IXEG and PMDG releases (along with Froogle's vids) will give XP the attention it needs so developers start jumping on board to make weather, traffic, ATC and other foundational addon goodness.

+1  You bet!

But the more I use the FF WL 777, the more I think we are already very well served - 3pds now need a stable release, to be able to start incorporating even more features to their aircraft.

Main Simulation Rig:

P3D is far more open than XP, and the new SimDirector has all kinds of possibilities.  http://www.prepar3d.com/news/2013/10/4561/

You can also use VS 2012 with P3D ... SDK is considerably better than XP's.  And what's with some XP aircraft requiring a Windows box to have Java runtime installed???

It's a big problem when you have a tiny number of developers working on XP.

And I'd love to do the same (put money into it) for XP to bring it up to the current level of FSX, but I can't.  There is no GSX for XP so their airports remain lifeless.  There is no REX for XP, there is no Traffic 360 for XP, there is no FSGRW for XP ... and the list goes on and on.  If Austin is truly interested in growing XP, then he needs to listen to the answer of why these products don't exist for XP.

And XP has A LOT of issues and missing features that just aren't being addressed at all ... again, there is NO plan.  How can any 3rd party developer proceed with XP when "the plan" is month to month?

I can't take XP seriously, because it doesn't take me seriously.

Rob.

Hmmm, I use vs2012 with XP SDK...no problem there. Java & X-Plane aircraft? Have never heard that one in my years with XP, although I suppose there is nothing stopping someone doing something like that.

The 'tiny number of developers working on XP' is still greater than the zero developers working on FSX, isn't it?

There are plenty of ground services add-ons for XP, just as there is for FSX. I'm not sure why you would say there are none - or do you mean GSX from fsdreamteam in particular? In fact, there are hundreds of add-ons that do all kinds of things. Realtime weather, aircraft AI is built in, but there are add-ons that improve things like textures and the rest (UrbanMaxx/SkyMaxx/WorldAircraft etc). Auto-gen airport scenery is one thing that FSX users are used to seeing, and XP has handled this in more recent times through a crowd-sourcing effort, as auto-gen scenery was not perceived to be accurate enough for airports. There is now a few hundred airports with scenery as part of the base XP install, and that will grow through free updates over time. However, there are another few thousand airport scenery packages available for download via community sites.

So, it does support 3rd party developers very nicely, in fact, I personally look quite favourably on it from a developer stand point.

Froogles video, shared on XP sites by scotchegg has caused some interesting reactions. But where the conversation has persisted (on the org), it has settled into a nice discussion about how the flight sims co-exist, and what the future may hold. Everyone will always have their own favourites, and one sim may be better than another at certain times due to certain features, but the one seemingly clear thing is, that the future of FSX is in doubt, thanks to Microsoft (rather rudely) ditching it's product. It's happened to me before, but not on the scale that it is for some who have so much invested in the product. Personally, even as an XP user, I think it is a real shame, and a waste of a great simulator.

Oh, by the way, there's a new Xplane beta today? (10.25b2) Is anybody besides me getting that alert?

It would seem beta 2 was a dud. They've since removed it from the server and will have it back up as beta 3 by tonight, hopefully. If you did manage to download it before it was removed from the servers, just run the updater again.

Yah, some quick surgery in the Ksea area seemed to fix things, but then I ran the updater to make sure.

Devons rig

Not so sure that I would say the graphics suck.

LES_Saab_340A_81_zps6e080f2b.png

LES_Saab_340A_74_zps93df254c.png

The planes look good the lighting engine sucks it looks like il2 1946. The planes don't shine they all look matte as I've said the clouds also look bad not that fsx's looked any better before rex. If xp can get addon makes to sign on then Id switch. But to get the addon folks interested xp needs to have grahpics on par with bf3

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.