Sign in to follow this  
scotchegg

Froogle agrees XP is the future. And....

My brain hurts.....

Why do I sympathize with you ... :rolleyes: B) ?

My brain hurts.....

Honestly, I see the point. Since getting XPX I've struggled to make the plausible world look...... plausible. The terrain textures are....  :unsure:

No seasons... trees make me grit my teeth, and unlike FSX or even XP9, there seem to be no replacements for them. Clouds are in the future. Strange things happening with the viewing distance, Sudden white screens having to do with the clouds/fog, very few identifiable landmarks, everyplace in the world looks the same, no seasons, shadows are wonky.........

XPX has a long way to go. There is a lot of promise in there, especially for tech-heads who fly at a zillion miles altitude and rarely look out the window, and of course everybody loves it at night, mostly I think because that better hides those ground textures and showcases those pretty, pretty lights......

I do like Xplane, cause' I keep hoping for the future, but as has been said before, if the future of FSX was not so much in doubt, we probably wouldn't be nearly as interested in XPX right now.

And I would not have finally purchased it, betting against history.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

And I would not have finally purchased it, betting against history.

You're infected now! That's what matters :-)

No antidote, btw...

You'll progressively get more dependent on it... until you - UNINSTALL all of your other sim stuff... because, even with it's quirks, X-Plane 10 has that Magic in it :-) alloever it !!!

The future in flight simulation has a big "X" starting it ....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

The planes look good the lighting engine sucks it looks like il2 1946. The planes don't shine they all look matte as I've said the clouds also look bad not that fsx's looked any better before rex. If xp can get addon makes to sign on then Id switch. But to get the addon folks interested xp needs to have grahpics on par with bf3

The lighting engine sucks????

I think you need to take another look.

night2.jpg

x-plane-10-screenshot-1.jpg

8JcJd6U.png

Im also not sure how he sees bad clouds................

Default I can, though I wouldn't use the adjective he used. The new SKYMaxx clouds looks like it fixes most of the issues though, and look much more realistic,

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

The terrain textures are....  :unsure:

My brain hurts even more .... :unsure:

Here we have some default terrain textures in use:

https://picasaweb.google.com/101666907909842492197/XPlane10HDMeshV2CanadaPREVIEW

https://picasaweb.google.com/101666907909842492197/XPlane10HDMeshV2PREVIEW

(and yes guys, its coming along nicely ... but the computation needed just plain takes long time  ... already 28.5 Gbytes of fresh DSFs on the disk though  B)  ... )

The 'tiny number of developers working on XP' is still greater than the zero developers working on FSX, isn't it?

If you exclude 3rd party developers and exclude P3D developers, then yes.  So with zero Microsoft developers working on FSX, why is XP still behind and missing considerable 3rd party support?

I'm not sure why you would say there are none - or do you mean GSX from fsdreamteam in particular? In fact, there are hundreds of add-ons that do all kinds of things. Realtime weather, aircraft AI is built in, but there are add-ons that improve things like textures and the rest (UrbanMaxx/SkyMaxx/WorldAircraft etc).

I was unable to find any for XPlane 10 64bit that does what GSX can do.  XP10 has added more airports and terminals/building to the larger more popular airports, but I was not able to find any Global applied GSX like product for XP10-64.  I must have missed them, can you provide some specific vendors/sources?  I see some airport scenery, but that's not the same as GSX.

I'm not looking for AutoGen objects at Airports, GSX doesn't do that, it supplies vehicles, people, food services, luggage services and can be specific to each and every aircraft (with lots of customization options).  

Java & X-Plane aircraft?

I purchased this 777: http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/x-planestore/Detail?no=398 and I was just as surprised to see that Java runtime was required given there is no mention of such a requirement.

Everyone will always have their own favourites, and one sim may be better than another at certain times due to certain features, but the one seemingly clear thing is, that the future of FSX is in doubt,

I disagree, 2013 has been an amazing year for FSX products.  MSE has covered the entire US and is now on Europe.  FTX Global and GEX have done very impressive work with AutoGen and textures.  FSDT, Flightbeam, Sim720, VFR, LatinVFR, and more keep releasing amazingly accurate and detailed airports across the globe.  FSGRW is an amazing weather engine.  REX has provided some outstanding textures.  Orbx products, and more.  If FSX's future is in doubt, it's not any time soon and 3rd party support certainly has not abandoned FSX.

There are some very nice features of XP10-64 and I really enjoy the night time aspect of it.  But it's far from complete (or equal to FSX feature to feature) and it's progress is moving so slowly that it'll be another decade (or more) before it reaches the same level of "complete" as FSX (which I also don't consider complete as Phil T. was clear about the pending work that never got done in FSX).

But P3D is picking up where FSX left off, and if P3D manage to pull a miracle and keep a lot of existing FSX 3rd party products functional in P3D V2 then it's going to be the "preferred" flight simulator.  Will I keep supporting XP10, sure I will ... competition is good and the LR folks are good people putting in a lot of effort for such a small crew of devs.  Austin desperately needs a plan, dare I suggest he even hire a PM (if he hasn't already) that doesn't report to him  or find an equal partner to invest so that there is some balance in the decision process.

But as a flight sim enthusiast, I don't really care who becomes the "Preferred" platform, my money will follow the platform that provides the best experience for me.  Put a product together and we (majority) will follow, that's never changed since PC's were introduced to the home market.

I have been watching froogle's live stream.  I dont know how many people watch it live, obviously more people would be watching his youtube vids.

Having seen it I am sure he has just sold some copies of xplane and some copies of 3rd parties software to his viewers

He reiterates a lot that this is just him mucking about and that videos he does for youtube are the proper ones to look at where I am sure he will sell more copies.

I guess the guys that dont want to give him a free copy dont like money, seems the others might have got a return already.

Also, I hadnt seen any demo of skymaxx before, that looks pretty nice!

I guess the guys that dont want to give him a free copy dont like money, seems the others might have got a return already.

+1

I guess simply having a business doesn't always give you good business sense.

Sad thing is at least one developer wanted to but the publisher refused. Still Froogle Pete said he'll just buy the plane at some point and put it in. I guess that is the publisher's prerogative, and wen mentioning the plane and the hype surrounding it in the vids is some publicity for the dev.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

You're infected now! That's what matters :-)

No antidote, btw...

You'll progressively get more dependent on it... until you - UNINSTALL all of your other sim stuff... because, even with it's quirks, X-Plane 10 has that Magic in it :-) alloever it !!!

The future in flight simulation has a big "X" starting it ....

Me thinx not!

I'm trying it cause' I like trying different things, and see no reason not to give XPX a chance. But I'm also giving other things a chance, like FLIGHT, and War-thunder and FSX and........

Whatever else comes along.

Herds make me nervous! :-)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

@Rob, I'm not really familiar with GSX, and I suspect it is probable that the Ground Services add-ons for X-Plane are more basic than GSX. Just google "x-plane ground services" and you're bound to find something.

Being interested in ground stuff is a relatively new phenomenon in X-Plane. Up until (relatively) recently, the flying experience was everything. The visual experience has definitely had a back seat. However, XP10 has stepped it up a bit, and a little taste of alpilot's NZ mesh does make you want to see a little more!

The reason I say 'in doubt' has nothing to do with 3rd party developers. The number and quality of 3rd party developer is likely to be comensurate with the size of the community it supports. However, if FSX users are unable to upgrade their PC's and there can never be a new FSX users because MS activation servers become inactive, then the FSX community has to shrink, doesn't it?

One has to keep in mind that MSFS started in 1982, and has had a reasonable team of developers behind it. XP started 11 years later, and has had one one guy behind AND it's made for Mac, Windows and Linux (also Android & iOS). So it really is a credit to Austin Meyers that XP has done as well as it has. The motivations behind each company, and their development focuses are going to be different. Way different. So one should not expect that the features of one will ever be the same as the other.

I'd agree that a 'preferred platform' is a personal choice - I'm certainly not about to tell you you should use XP over FSX! That's your call.

Sad thing is at least one developer wanted to but the publisher refused.

This is, without doubt, 100% false.

I am saddened and shocked to see someone who places himself in a light of honesty and integrity say such things. These comments will force us to re-think our position of priorly willing to accomodate.

I do not wish to extend this into a dramatic high school debate, but your comment, scotchegg, required enough of a response to state otherwise. This is all I will reply to on the matter.

Cheers to Pete for spreading the good vibes of X-Plane with the products he's shown off, none the less.

Founder of X-Aviation

I am saddened and shocked to see someone who places himself in a light of honesty and integrity say such things. These comments will force us to re-think our position of priorly willing to accomodate.

So you didnt want to provide him with a free copy - which I think is your right but probably a loos at the same time.

Now you imply that you were thinking that you would supply a copy but because of some random guy on a forum making a comment you may have to go back to your original position of not supplying one?

Seems like your position hasnt changed at all but you have put blame on someone else for your decision?