Sign in to follow this  
scotchegg

Froogle agrees XP is the future. And....

I've talked to Pete and I can see all perspectives and understand peoples perspectives....and taking into account all of us are born with differening senses of perspectives, its natural to have to deal with this on regular occasions, it comes with being human.  The big thing is we get past it and keep trying.    Whereas some folks see it as "x-planers"  vs. "FSX'rs" and treat each other like clubs with entitlement,  I don't view it that way at all.  To me it's 'Flight Simmers" and right now most of them are using FSX.  Treating FSXers like they're some outsider to me is not my perspective...they're not some 'other market', they're my market.  To me, my market is not owners of x-plane, its flight sim enthusiasts. 

On your second point I can agree with just about everything except when you implied that XPlane user's/developers somehow need MSFS users

I would phrase it as we need more X-Planers, IF we want to make a living at this and therefore increase our production......and it is an 'insinuation' that if one is not currently an x-planer, then they are a 'MSFSr" so the sentence is valid depending on your interpretation. 

One reasons for the org vs. non-org is that financial resources / market share were pretty small @ 2008 and if the org was accumulating all the resources, then this isn't good for growth (except for the owner of the org).  The whole x-aviation story is akin to a liberation story to introduce competition into the market that benefits the end users.  Like any liberation story, its gets nasty, folks take sides and fight it out until the uprising is suppressed or independence is gained.  After 5 years, I'd say x-aviation and x-pilot has earned its independence and the conflict needs to be over with objectives now met......but it was necessary at the time.    Given the sales trends for the last 5 years....I can tell you that unless more flight simmers adopt x-plane....us add-on developers will have to maintain other jobs which limits our time to work on x-plane.....so the concept of whether or not we NEED FSXers is relative to what our objectives are....Mine personally are to do this full time and make great add-ons so I myself need more x-plane users and the sooner FSXers also purchase x-plane, the faster x-plane will grow IMO.

Tom Kyler

IXEG / Laminar

Tom, your attitude is a good one, it was good to see you and Groan display it at that disaster of a thread at x-plane.

Tom, your attitude is a good one, it was good to see you and Groan display it at that disaster of a thread at x-plane.

Avoid Auto-Correct.

:blink:

Oops, sorry Goran!   The forum doesnt give me the option to edit it now, not sure why, maybe because its been quoted?

Tom, just release the ixeg 737 and they will all come! :)

the IXEG 737 will kick some serious butt in the sim world :lol:

Yeah I dont think I have ever heard you "groan" so this is very funny.....lol

I've talked to Pete and I can see all perspectives and understand peoples perspectives....and taking into account all of us are born with differening senses of perspectives, its natural to have to deal with this on regular occasions, it comes with being human. The big thing is we get past it and keep trying. [\quote]

Very well said!!! Although I'm still a bit surprised at the rhetoric used to explain different perspectives at the X-Pilot thread I'm a big fan of looking at different perspectives and working through differences to get a better end result. Which is why it's important (doubly for me as the thread starter) for something good to come out of this, hopefully in the form of some juicy exposure of what we all know X-Plane is capable of to those who don't yet.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Tom, just release the ixeg 737 and they will all come! :)

+1!!

To be honest I haven't touched X-Plane ever since the PMDG 777 came out but prior to that was using it quite frequently. After reading all this lately and about some of the new add-ons coming out it, Froogle's support etc, it kind of makes me want to fire it up again.

The problem I have with running both sims is that it's hard work keeping them both maintained with add-ons as well as constantly shifting focus between the two. I'll use XP10 for a while but always come across something that particular add-ons I have in FSX simply do better (or aren't available in XP10...yet) so I always end up drifting back to FSX. Personally with things such as the UI in XP10, I have no problem with, once you get your head around it it's not that bad and is quite intuitive.

I'd just like to have that 'one sim to rule them all' :lol: 

I've also been reading all the news about P3D v2.0 and as exciting as it sounds, I still believe that X-Plane will have a better future than that platform.

To be honest I haven't touched X-Plane ever since the PMDG 777 came out but prior to that was using it quite frequently. After reading all this lately and about some of the new add-ons coming out it, Froogle's support etc, it kind of makes me want to fire it up again.

The problem I have with running both sims is that it's hard work keeping them both maintained with add-ons as well as constantly shifting focus between the two. I'll use XP10 for a while but always come across something that particular add-ons I have in FSX simply do better

I used to do it that way, until Austin revealled he was working on a fix for the "torque bug", and I myself decided to settle with X-Plane 10.

Since then I discovered things that I never used ( even if I was aware of them...) such as those CTRL-N keys for setting predefined vews, bought my first scenery add-on for X-Plane 10 - UrbanMAXX Extreme - and I am really enjoying all about it, have spent some time fine-tuning the FF WL 777 and flying it, having for comparison the PMDG 777.

I erased FSX ( as I usually do :-) ) but this time it was for good ( same for P3D ), and I do not intend to sucumb to P3D's v2 temptations because I know that in the very core of it is the same simulation of flight beautifully designed by the ACEs team in 2006, but already old and limited...

In the WL 777 I am now trying to mimic the logic of Boeing's Electronic Flight Control System, and specially the pitch modes through the use of Plane Maker's Artificial Stability section - something I could never do this easily in MSFS...

I am very satisfied with X-Plane 10 already, but hope a LOT for it's near future. SkyMAXX Extreme will certainly be yet another step ahead, and much more will come.

Managing X-Plane 10 in terms of add-ons is also a lot cheapper than FSX or P3D... $7 was what I payed for the great improvements in plausibility that UrbanMAXX Extreme brings!

One day we will see Orbx announcng X-Plane 10 support, I believe, but we really don't need them the much we needed them in MSFS's land... There are already some very tallented devs around, some great even freeware add-ons available, and much more to come :-)

As the song says..."the Future's so Bright I Gotta Wear Shades"... :yahoo:

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

have spent some time fine-tuning the FF WL 777 and flying it, having for comparison the PMDG 777.

Good thing is right now if I ever feel like flying the -300ER I can just fire up the FF 777 :smile:

Managing X-Plane 10 in terms of add-ons is also a lot cheapper than FSX or P3D... $7 was what I payed for the great improvements in plausibility that UrbanMAXX Extreme brings!

That's definitely true. Add-ons are dead simple to install and the fact that X-Plane doesn't touch the registry means I can just back it up to an external drive and copy it back whenever I want to use it. I did get that UrbanMAX add-on initially as one of my first purchases due to it's price but after a while found that it wasn't as good as I though it would be so ended up removing it. I can appreciate what it's trying to do by 'filling the gaps' of green area in cities but seemed a bit too 'painted on' and didn't really fit with the other stuff considering it's all 3D objects. The OSM stuff works a lot better for me but can be a bit of an FPS killer with HDR.

The lack of a 64-bit VATSIM client still annoys me a bit especially since I recently joined a VA.

I recently invested in FS Global Real Weather for FSX and believe it will support X-Plane in future according to the devs which is really good as it's a fantastic weather injector, also something X-Plane really needs right now.

However, there are times when I'm flying the 777 in FSX at night over all those bright-coloured bodies of water thinking to myself 'X-Plane just does this SOO much better!'.

The lack of a 64-bit VATSIM client still annoys me a bit especially since I recently joined a VA.

This, and the fact that aircraft makers don't update/come out with 64-bit planes, at least, the ones I'm interested in.

Froogle is entitled to his opinion, sadly i dont agree with him, there are better sims out there being developed now that can already run circles around XP and XP will never be better than FSX as long as they stick with their current attitude of the whole world being out of step except them.

Froogle makes some great vids and does some interesting reviews but he is also terribly naive, when it comes to the workings of fsx and other sims.

Nigel Porter

simhaven. group see: https://www.facebook.com/groups/493455508243014

I recently invested in FS Global Real Weather for FSX and believe it will support X-Plane in future according to the devs which is really good as it's a fantastic weather injector, also something X-Plane really needs right now.

Yes, I got it too, and really enjoyed it in FSX! Looking forward for their X-plane version :-)

However, there are times when I'm flying the 777 in FSX at night over all those bright-coloured bodies of water thinking to myself 'X-Plane just does this SOO much better!'.

And there are things, flight dynamics wise, that the X-Plane model can do better than the PMDG one. Also, the Boeing FBW logic in the PMDG model has problems, being addressed for a future patch, but still very annoying.

I am flying the WL 777  ( the FF version ) in X-Plane 10.25b1 with lot's of joy :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I agree that XPlane is the future. I will be getting it soon after seeing some of the new aircraft and scenery.

The problem I have with P3D is that no matter what they do, no matter how hard they work, it will still be a legacy product.