Sign in to follow this  
sandalen

Unrealistic single engine taxiing

Does anyone else have this problem? After a single engine landing or shutting down an engine while taxiing to the gate, I almost need full power on the other engine to taxi. Starting on one engine is completely impossible. This is quite unrealistic. Has the pmdg team noticed this or is there a fix or anything? This is the only big problem I could find, by the way. Love the product!

No. With one engine idling it looks realistic, but when I shut it down completely, the plane is stuck to the ground. It shouldn't be a problem. A lot of airlines shut down one engine three minutes after landing.

The ground contact model is one of the many shortcomings of FSX. Even if the friction model wasn't broken, you still won't get realistic single engine taxi because the asymmetric thrust will mean you have to turn into the running engine, which you wouldn't need to do in the real thing.

PMDG have done remarkable job but this is just one of the things they can't fix and you'll have to live with it. Sorry.

This worked fine in FS9 with the modified sim1.dll why can't the same be done for FSX?

So much good stuff missing from FSX that worked perfectly well in FS9...

Rob Prest

Well I just checked with FSLabs and they claim to have fixed the friction issue completely with FSX

Rob Prest

Ye olde scandinavian demonstrated single engine taxi in one of his beta videos, I don't remember him using full power to get the plane to start moving.

Ye olde scandinavian demonstrated single engine taxi in one of his beta videos, I don't remember him using full power to get the plane to start moving.

Yep.  Only a little thrust to get it going, and not much else.  It was a little higher on thrust due to the ground contact model, but definitely not crazy unrealistic.

Kyle Rodgers

Pete Dowson recently fixed the ground friction problems in FSX within FSUIPC. However PMDG do not want to make FSUIPC a requirement for installation so they won't use, or take any account of, the friction corrections that are now possible. In fact PMDG regard such mods as hacks and refuse to include them, even though this "hack" corrects a bug in the original software, so it's actually a patch, not a hack. I think this is great a shame, but that is the position.

ki9cAAb.jpg

deleted by poster

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

Pete Dowson recently fixed the ground friction problems in FSX within FSUIPC. However PMDG do not want to make FSUIPC a requirement for installation so they won't use, or take any account of, the friction corrections that are now possible. In fact PMDG regard such mods as hacks and refuse to include them, even though this "hack" corrects a bug in the original software, so it's actually a patch, not a hack. I think this is great a shame, but that is the position.

+1 to that.

I applied the FSUIPC friction fix myself, and the results are very good. You give it a little start bump and that's all, it goes nicely on idle thrust. It takes into account your weight aswell, makes taxiing much more realistic, and goes with every plane nicely.

Jefferson Santos
sbpa.png

I applied the FSUIPC friction fix myself,

Do you need the Payware FSUIPC for this?

Do you need the Payware FSUIPC for this?

No, it works in the free version too. You just don't have the ability to customise it. It's either on or off.

ki9cAAb.jpg