Sign in to follow this  
basa

FS9 Starts only after the second attempt

Well, in the past this usually only happened after not having used FS9 for some days.

But now, every time I start my computer and launch FS9 the sim does not run.

When I open the task administrator I can see a "FS9-32 exe" there, consuming 0% of the processor.

So, I cancel the task and launch FS9 for a second time...and yes, this time the sim opens and runs normally.

(Windows 7-64 bit SP1 )

Any opinion about it ?

Thanks.

No idea what the problem is or how to fix it. I had a similar issue about a year ago... FS took two or three starts before it worked. But I have no idea why that was a problem or how to fix it... it more or less simply stopped happening one day and it hasn't happened since. You could try reinstalling FS, but even that drastic a measure might not fix the issue.

Do you launch fs via a shortcut or do you doubleclick the exe file?

If via shortcut: examine the command line properties.

Cheers

W7 Fully booted.

It does not make a difference launching via shortcut or exe file, FS9 only starts the second time.

Well it is not a big problem, but could be a symptom of something wrong inside the program.

Right - it isn't a big problem - nothing more than a minor annoyance. After a while, I got used to simply having the process manager window open whenever I started FS, just in case this time nothing would happen.

Don't worry, though, the problem should eventually go away. At least mine did, about a year ago.

I am refreshing this thread in the hope that someone has a solution. This started happening to me also. The first time I would try to start FS9 I would get that cursor indication that it was "working" and then it would stop and no FS9. And when checking task administrator it would show FS9.exe as active, but no CPU activity and nothing else happening. Then it would start on the second attempt and work normally. (Note the past tense - "it would start")  But now it won't start at all! It starts to load up but then the opening screen just hangs there and nothing else happens.

It gets worse! After being unable to fix it (tried the registry fixer tool and anything else I could think of) I finally decided to do a fresh install. But when I tried it told me that there is already a "game installed" in that folder - even though I had uninstalled FS9 completely. (Yeah, I have tears in my eyes typing those words)...... SO I did a reformat on the D disk that I use exclusively for FS9. With a completely wiped drive, I then tried to reinstall FS9 again. Here's the weird thing. It automatically selected the D: drive to install into instead of the standard C:/Programs/Microsoft Games/ folder. And when I tried to install into an entirely blank hard drive, it once more gave me a message saying there was already a "game installed" in that folder. Well, that's impossible after reformatting the drive. There is NOTHING installed on that drive!

I have done a search of my entire system looking for some kind of duplicate FS9.exe file and removed anything that bears the slightest resemblance to it - no result. The last thing I tried was to create a different folder on the D drive and install FS9 into that instead of directly as D:/Flight Simulator 9.... It DID install - but I'm back to where I was in the beginning. It seems to be ready to start when you first select start (even using Run As Administrator) but then nothing happens. Then it starts on the second try, only to freeze at the opening screen. And yes, in task administrator, it shows two FS9.exe files running.

I have given up - actually put my FS PC away for a while as I was so d--n frustrated.  virus maybe? Some kind of registry issue though the Flight1 Registry repair tool made no difference? An evil spirit possessing my system and trying to drive me to despair? (If so, it's succeeding)

I was ready to put it down to a hardware issue until I saw this thread... Can anyone help? Please,,,,

Ian

Your PC thinks the sim is already installed is probably a registry issue, not a situation of actually having it somewhere.

The Flight1 registry tool fixes an inaccurate/missing path for FS, nothing more.

I would start by moving any addon .dll files out of the FS9 root and Modules folder and see if it will then start.

I assume you have tried moving/renaming/deleting the FS9.cfg first.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

I do believe, thanks to threads like this one, that I will stick to WIN XP for FS9.

Just about everything else I have has migrated to WIN 7, so at worst I'll use a dual-boot system and when FS9 finally dies, I'll just format the drive and move on.

I've had the same issue as well - fs9.exe showing 0% in task manager but rundll32 showing about 40% processor load - it rectifies after I kill both and try again. Sometimes it takes 2-3 tries on my system (I'm using Windows 7).

-Xavier

I'm running Win7 too but I don't think it's a direct result of that as I've been running FS9 on this system with Win7 64 for several years with no issues at all.

I completely wiped the D: drive that had FS9 and all my addons. Reformated it so there is no logical possibility that there are any residual files or lines of code on that disk that can be causing the continuation of the program.

I have searched the C: drive looking for any file that refers to FS9 and removed it. Achieved nothing.

I can only think there is some corrupted file somewhere that is causing this. The fact that it seems to have happened to a few of us in the past month or so makes me think it might be some malicious (or simply corrupted) code caused by an addon file downloaded from the same source.

I am now at the point where I have removed years worth of work from my PC and I still CAN'T REINSTALL THE GAME so that it will work.....

And I am having absolutely no problems with any other programs nor with any of my hardware. This seems to be specific to FS9 and nothing else and it's driving me nuts!!!
Ian

Ian,

The last thing I remember to have installed is SWEET FX, some (not many) weeks ago.

Have you also installed it ?

Ian,

The last thing I remember to have installed is SWEET FX, some (not many) weeks ago.

Have you also installed it ?

No, I haven't so if there really is a "culprit" it's not that one. Sadly I spent weeks not even using FS9 before it finally refused to even load and so I have no idea what files I might have downloaded that could have caused the problem. (And that's only a possible explanation - it may not be a downloaded file that has caused it....) :unsure:

Hi,

I don't have Win7 until now, but XP will get no support from April 2014 on so that I follow this thread with interest.

Can you - Ian, José Luis, Xavier - specify more exactly from which time on you have had this problem?

And will task administrator really show "FS9-32.exe" instead of "FS9.exe"?

The fact that all of you are Win7 users and there was nothing to read about this problem until now lets me believe that maybe one of the monthly Win7 updates could have been problematic (the only thing that irritates me is ematheson's causa).

Regards

Harald

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg