Sign in to follow this  
basa

FS9 Starts only after the second attempt

Well, if I had any better idea what the reason was (or what I did to fix it), I'd suggest what to do. I do keep my system up to date, though. I have considered that rtm windows 7 may have had a bug that a subsequent update fixed (and that maybe was among the "optional" updates that were not automatically applied and were thus given a pass by many of you out of understandable caution and care for your computer). I also run utilities such as Ccleaner on a weekly basis and use the selective boot option in windows to only load the most basic services. I do this because I only own one computer, so I keep my FS machine up to date and rigorously cleaned to prevent problems that might endanger other aspects of my life.

And yes, one day, the problem just didn't occur... And it has never occurred again since then. It has been perhaps a year and a half since then with no subsequent issues.

It perhaps bear mentioning that when I was having the problem, I was running an install I'd ported from a 32 bit Vista system. The issue stopped occurring before I deleted that install (which I did some months later for entirely unrelated reasons). I have since reinstalled two or three times since then with no issues.

I have no suggestions regarding ians reinstall problems except to suggest that those issues may be in truth unrelated. You might try a utility like Ccleaner, but I have no idea of that would help.

Well, friends, I have new data for you to analize:

I normally start FS9 with the internet cable disconnected. 

Today I forgot to unplug the cable, I double clicked on the FS9 icon and...voilá, FS9 started.

So, the facts:

1.- Computer not connected to the internet: FS9 starts on the second attempt.

2.- Computer connected to the internet: FS9 starts on the first attempt.

What's your opinion about it ?

(Some weeks ago I made a massive W7 update, including Service Pack 1.)

That might be right in my case also, as the computer was not connected to the Internet when all this started... Now the whole computer is shoved into a corner of my office and needs to be set up again. But I will definitely try it and report what happens. It still doesn't solve the mystery of why it's doing this, but it might at least be a temporary fix......

Well, in the past this usually only happened after not having used FS9 for some days.

But now, every time I start my computer and launch FS9 the sim does not run.

When I open the task administrator I can see a "FS9-32 exe" there, consuming 0% of the processor.

So, I cancel the task and launch FS9 for a second time...and yes, this time the sim opens and runs normally.

(Windows 7-64 bit SP1 )

Any opinion about it ?

Thanks.

Could you clarify exactly what exe is running? You say "FS9-32.exe", but that's not the name of the FS9 executable. In the task manager, the process would show as "FS9.EXE *32", assuming the original name of the executable. Was "FS9-32.exe" a typo, or is that really the name of the executable?

Could you clarify exactly what exe is running? You say "FS9-32.exe", but that's not the name of the FS9 executable. In the task manager, the process would show as "FS9.EXE *32", assuming the original name of the executable. Was "FS9-32.exe" a typo, or is that really the name of the executable?

I am not able to tell you now, probably it was a typo.

Things are changing quickly.

Today FS9 starts always at the first go, no matter if the internet cable is in or out.

I can not really understand anything.   :blink:  :blink:

That might be right in my case also, as the computer was not connected to the Internet when all this started... Now the whole computer is shoved into a corner of my office and needs to be set up again. But I will definitely try it and report what happens. It still doesn't solve the mystery of why it's doing this, but it might at least be a temporary fix......

Blimey Ian yours is a sorry tale. I wish I could help. The only thing I can suggest is you boot into safe mode (if you can with these newer OS) and try an install of FS from there.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Cheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Have you tried to start FS9 in Safe Mode?

I have never done this, Start >> All Programs >> Microsoft Games >> MS FS 2004 >> Troubleshooting >> Safe Mode

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

For me it tends to happen if I either run fsx then switch to fs9, or if i haven't connected to the internet while running fs9 for a while. That's the pattern I'm observing. I'm (like Ian) thinking it's probably an addon that triggers it, or even fsx itself too (possible registry interference).

It's more a nuiscance than anything else really, as after a couple tries it starts and runs with no problems.

--Xavier

Over the weekend I plan to set up my FS PC again and retry things. I have a feeling that the internet connection is the issue. For me it can't be a conflict with FSX as I've never installed that on my current PC.... But the consistent factor seems to be the internet so I'm assuming that there's a file somewhere that was put in my system by an addon and is probably an anti-piracy measure. It's probably trying to access the internet in order to obtain verification before it allows FS9 to execute and when it isn't able to connect it shuts the program down....

I am going to be one very P----d O-f man if this is true as this has caused me a month's worth of aggravation AND led to me totally deleting all my FS9 stuff...... I really, really resent developers dumping hidden files into my system without my knowledge or permission

Ian

Our good friend Harald often refers to his practice of firstly installing into a 'sandbox.'  In that way one knows exactly what files are being installed and where.

In the past I have been too impetuous to allow for this diligence, now is the time to change my ways methinks. :rolleyes:

Hi Ian,

I already wanted to recommend the sandbox again, but my browser wanted an update, so I was too late...

But indeed, this often helped me to understand which files a certain Add-on contents and where it drops them. For instance, FSDT airports dropped a dll file into the Windows directory, others even into the System32 directory. By the way, most add-on sceneries also work when I install them into the sandbox and then move them to the appropriate positions (within the sandbox, the directories get "mirrored"). This has another advantage - I can move them out of the sandbox directly into my system of landscapes and register them into the scenery library how I want it.

And: This is in no way a circumvention of anti-piracy measures, as they work as usual if I install an add-on into a sandbox.

I hope you will build up your Sim again very soon!

Best regards

Harald

P.S. My task tonight: changing from DJCs A320 to the FAIB model... more than 200 repaints wait...

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

Hi all,

I know I'm refreshing a very old thread but I am meeting the same issue as kiwiflyer for quite some time and I have not been able to find the responsible or a solution, just as described before in this thread, any of my multiple FS9s or any fresh install do behave the same way.

When I'm starting FS9, a rundll32.exe is also started, it loads during a few seconds then the FS9 splashscreen finally appears; but if I'm offline, then rundll32 runs forever, the FS9 splash screen does not appear and it never starts.

As anyone been able to solve this issue or at least have found the responsible?

Thanks by advance,

Maxime.

Maxime
TOGA projects

I recently installed Smart Close.  If I run Smart Close first of all then I have to run fs9.exe twice to get the sim going.  Re-boot and don't run Smart Close and I just have to run fs9.exe once.  I suspect that some service is being disabled by Smart Close which causes this to happen.  So what??!!  I just run Task Manager and delete the first occurrence of FS9.exe and several other programs/services which are not needed as well and this makes the sum run much smoother.  And it doesn't make the slightest bit of difference whether I'm connected to the Internet or not.

Dijvid