Sign in to follow this  
F4UCorsair

Blurry textures - little VRAM usage (GTX580)

Hi all,

First of all, check my specs on the left :)

While I managed to get a correctly-running FSX (30fps constant, few stutters etc..) I still have a big issue with blurry textures.

Here is a very good example (low alt nav, speed around 350/400kts)

1383186562-sans-titre.jpg

I also noticed that FSX barely uses any video memory (500MB out of 1536MB max).

Any idea on how to fix this?

Thanks a lot.
Corsair

I'm assuming the textures clear up if you pause the sim? Have you applied any of the tweaks relating to texture, fiber frame fraction or affinity mask that are floating around on the Internet?

Low VRAM usage would be expected if the textures are blurry, because it means they're low resolution internally.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Apply the usepools=0 tweak.

You can try a higher fiber rate time fraction (e.g. 1.5) however, you will lose some fps as a result.  Experiment with 1.5, then try 1.25 then 1.0 and see how you go.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I'm assuming the textures clear up if you pause the sim?

Yes, they do.

I applied the BP = 0 tweak without any result. I'm also using the AffinityMask tweak, with no significant result.

I'll give a try with a higher FFTF value. I also heard about TextureMaxLoad and Texture_Bandwith_Mult tweaks. What are their jobs, and what should be their value?

Thanks again

I managed to get sharper texture with FFTF=0.8 (they still get blurry at high speed, but I guess that's normal ?). However, I get more sutters now....  :angry:

Man, FSX is a mess to tweak. It's impressive that decent modern hardware can't even run it.

Blurry textures at that speed is more about processor. What are your system specs? (I can't see them on mobile)

Also have you setup nvidia inspector?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I managed to get sharper texture with FFTF=0.8 (they still get blurry at high speed, but I guess that's normal ?). However, I get more sutters now....  :angry:

Man, FSX is a mess to tweak. It's impressive that decent modern hardware can't even run it.

A little frustrating but, like a lot of things, we have to compromise I guess. The only thing standing between me an P3D is the PMDG T7. If legal restrictions ever change in the future, FSX is history for me.

Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

It's not like P3D is any better tho. It's basically exactly the same as FSX

vatsim s3

1133704.png

Like Ryan has already said, the single biggest factor for your blurries, is quite simply the speed you're travelling at such a low altitude... I suspect you'd have blurries at those speeds, at that altitude, with almost any CPU! BTW, you didn't mention whether you're running with unlimited frames... if so, then I suggest locking your frames at 30 inside FSX.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Like Ryan has already said, the single biggest factor for your blurries, is quite simply the speed you're travelling at such a low altitude... I suspect you'd have blurries at those speeds, at that altitude, with almost any CPU! BTW, you didn't mention whether you're running with unlimited frames... if so, then I suggest locking your frames at 30 inside FSX.

Yup, I guess I'll get used to it.. About the framerate, I locked them @30 in nVidia Inspector.

Blurry textures at that speed is more about processor. What are your system specs? (I can't see them on mobile)

Also have you setup nvidia inspector?

i5 2500k - GTX580 DC2 (ASUS) - 2x4GB PC12800 Vengeance RAM - W7 Home x64.

My CPU is running @4.2GHz.

Move your Fiber_Frame_Time_Fraction setting up to it's normal 0.33 setting. Moving it lower defvotes more time for things other than frame loading, and will generally help remove stuttering - but one can also lower it too far, and this causes blurring of the ground textures - and that's what we can see here.

All the Best,

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Your cfg doesnt hopefully have:

MIN_DETAIL_TEXTURE_LEVEL=12
MAX_DETAIL_TEXTURE_LEVEL=15

in it ? if REMOVE it for crisp textures.

It's not like P3D is any better tho. It's basically exactly the same as FSX

That wont be true for V2.0

Well, I'm pretty much at the same state. Tried a few tweaks, but no great result. I even get blurries at 3/400kts which did not happen before.. I'll try to reset my fsx.cfg and see how it does.

Can it be a system issue? Maybe my HDD struggling (it's a good 7200rpm disk however - I even defrag it regularly). Graphics card issue maybe? I really don't know... :(