Sign in to follow this  
nikos

New tweak?

Hi everyone!

I am new here in the forums and new in the FSX thing. I’ve been "flying" with FSX for about 2 months now. From the day I started, I’ve tried to read some basic things about FSX. The most difficult part for me was to achieve smooth performance (everyone wants that). I must mention here that I have a mid-end computer (i5 @ 3.2-3.6GHz, and a GTX660 OC) and tweaking was inevitable in order to gain some performance, especially with some heavy add-ons like REX and FTX Global. So, I started watching videos and tutorials in YouTube and learned a lot (not everything, of course, the basic stuff). I 've used J. Bojote's optimizing tool, I 've read the biggest part of NickN's "Bible" which helped me setting up my system, I 've watched RotationX's tweaking series (very informative and easy to use), some Frooglesim's videos, read Nikos's answers, used Steve's DX10 fixing tools and many, many more... My respect to all these guys. They really helped me immensely in understanding all these new things.

There are, as I can see now, 2 accepted ways of locking frames in a simulator like this:

1. Internally, with FSX's settings (NickN suggests a target frame rate of 30fps with no external locking)

2. Externally, either with the FPS Limiter (when DX9 is used), or with the NVidia's Inspector Frame Limiter command (when DX10 is used). In this case, people sets the internal TFR to Unlimited and externally force it down to 30 fps. When Vsync is used, they just select a 1/2 refresh rate in nvidiaInspector, which locks frames to 30 fps (60Hz/2).

My basic problem with the solutions above was that I kept having the image tearing effect, even with Vsync on, and when the desired frame rate was finally accomplished, another problem kept breaking my nerves... Stuttering.

Then suddenly, eureka! Inside the Inspector's Frame Limiter I read this: "58 (might improve inputlag on vsync 60Hz)"

I don't know if anyone has already tried this out, but by setting the TFR (Target Frame Rate) of FSX to 58-60 internally and applying 1/2 refresh rate inside the Inspector one gets impressive results (in my system, the best so far), compared to all the other combinations (and believe me, I've tryed a tone of them). No more tearing, no more stuttering. A perfectly smooth simulation!

I am not a computer genius, but I sense that by setting the TFR to 58-60 inside FSX, you guide the application to synchronize with the screen's refresh rate. Then, the NVidia's 1/2 refresh rate setting really makes an easy job producing 29-30 fps from a stabilized system. (Make sure to check the Vsync 1/2 refresh rate option inside the NVidia's Control Panel too. The Inspector does not always communicate well with it). 

Try this out if you want, and see what happens. I would like to read your opinions.

Nick

PS NVidia's ShadowPlay is a great invention!!

Tested.  Failed.     I am set to unlimited in FSX with 1/2 Refresh in Nspector.   Sitting in the PMDG 737 at Flightbeam KIAD at Gate B50 I am sitting at 32 FPS without traffic on.

By switching to internal 58 FPS limiting the FPS in the same exact scenario was 21 FPS, dropping to 18 when I move the mouse cursor.   Turn on traffic and it sits at around 17 FPS with your settings above.    If it works for others, feel lucky.   On my rig setting any kind of internal limiter is an FPS killer

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Tested.  Failed.     I am set to unlimited in FSX with 1/2 Refresh in Nspector.   Sitting in the PMDG 737 at Flightbeam KIAD at Gate B50 I am sitting at 32 FPS without traffic on.

By switching to internal 58 FPS limiting the FPS in the same exact scenario was 21 FPS, dropping to 18 when I move the mouse cursor.   Turn on traffic and it sits at around 17 FPS with your settings above.    If it works for others, feel lucky.   On my rig setting any kind of internal limiter is an FPS killer

We have nearly identical hardware, it seems I had the same result as you, internal limiter for me is a frame rate killer.

Or, like me....

No limiter in FSX, and no limiter externally. No FSX limiter increases frame rate by 30%.

Zero stutters extremely high frame rate.

Try it and see.

3770K @ 4.4

GTX 770 SC 4GB Duel BIOS

8 GB DDR3

Monitor: BenQ 120 Hz.

Sensible slider settings, some high some medium

AA: 8XS Combined 2XSGSS

No hyper detailed add-on airports

Just REX, UTX, GEX. 737 NGX, PMDG 777 etc.

Minimum frame rate 35-45 in horrendous weather

Maximum frame rate 120. VSync on or would go higher. VSync on or off, no difference, no tearing, no lag.

BP=0

AF=12

HIGHMEMFIX

Thanks for the answers. I forgot to mention (or emphasize) a few things.

1. Inside nvidiaInspector, in Vertical Sync Tear Control I chose "adaptive" and not "standard" . Inside Nvidia's Control Panel make sure that "Adaptive (1/2 refresh rate)" is checked. Inspector is an external tool that does not always communicate perfectly with the Graphics Card Driver. Nvidia's Control Panel gives the final commands, not the Inspector.

2. I run FSX in DX10 Preview, not DX9. I basically use the Inspector settings shown here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aCpY2XIE1M. Everything except the "standard" Vsync Tear Control (I use "adaptive"). In Texture filtering I switch between "High Performance" and "High Quality". Depends on the scenery I intend to load. These settings are widely tested and known to give a 6-10% increase in fps.

3. Don't try only 58 fps in TFR. Try also 59 and 60. Might make the difference.

4. All the above work with WideViewAspect=True and ForceVsync...=1

4. This thread is not exactly about fps. It's about smoothness, tearing and stuttering. When I use no limiters I also get 50-60 fps in many cases. That's not the issue here. I couldn't get rid of tearing and stutters even with an average of over 50 fps.

Anyways, thanks again for trying this out. I might upload my exact settings in the near future.

Cheers,

Nick

The same for me. Setting a limiter inside fsx my fps decrease between 7-12

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Setting Vsync in three different places seems like asking for trouble..

Bert

Well there won't be any smoothness at all if the FPS dips into the teens.  It will just look like a really nice slide show.   While FPS is not the end all be all, you do have to keep it at a reasonable level or smoothness won't matter because you will never achieve it in slideshow mode.

Or, like me....

No limiter in FSX, and no limiter externally. No FSX limiter increases frame rate by 30%.

Zero stutters extremely high frame rate.

Try it and see.

3770K @ 4.4

GTX 770 SC 4GB Duel BIOS

8 GB DDR3

Monitor: BenQ 120 Hz.

Sensible slider settings, some high some medium

AA: 8XS Combined 2XSGSS

No hyper detailed add-on airports

Just REX, UTX, GEX. 737 NGX, PMDG 777 etc.

Minimum frame rate 35-45 in horrendous weather

Maximum frame rate 120. VSync on or would go higher. VSync on or off, no difference, no tearing, no lag.

BP=0

AF=12

HIGHMEMFIX

Totally going to try your setup.    Can you tell me your slider settings?    I have been struggling to keep good frames and smoothness with traffic on at the big boy airports and it's hit and miss.   

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Has anyone got this working. I have a radeon card and followed the fsxgenius guide in detail. I launch fsx through the external limiter which is set at 30. I have internal fsx set at unlimited. I get about 9 to 20 frames. Flying out of KIAD the airport and all surrounding trees kept blinking the whole time. It was horrific. When I hit shift Z to see my frame rate I noticed it gave me the frame rate and then said (unlimited) after it, even though I specifically set the frame rate limiter to 30. Anyone have ideas on what I can do?

Has anyone got this working. I have a radeon card and followed the fsxgenius guide in detail. I launch fsx through the external limiter which is set at 30. I have internal fsx set at unlimited. I get about 9 to 20 frames. Flying out of KIAD the airport and all surrounding trees kept blinking the whole time. It was horrific. When I hit shift Z to see my frame rate I noticed it gave me the frame rate and then said (unlimited) after it, even though I specifically set the frame rate limiter to 30. Anyone have ideas on what I can do?

I know you know this already but just in case... Radeon cards are notoriously bad to use for FSX vs Nvidia cards.   What are the rest of your PC's parts?   It's a combination of CPU and GPU that have to work in union together to get the best FPS.

100454.png

Brian Navy

Setting Vsync in three different places seems like asking for trouble..

+1 Furthermore, NV Insp overrides anything set in global. I have never had an issue with Vsync not applying correctly.

No offense to the OP, but having to set vsync in 2 different places is hogwash. If your NV insp is not applying correctly, there is something wrong with how you have set it up.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I know you know this already but just in case... Radeon cards are notoriously bad to use for FSX vs Nvidia cards.   What are the rest of your PC's parts?   It's a combination of CPU and GPU that have to work in union together to get the best FPS.

Running windows 7 i7 cpu 920 @ 2.67 GHz [its OC for 3.3 I think]. 64 bit operating system.  Ram 6GB. Radeon HD 5800. 

When I hit shift Z to see my frame rate I noticed it gave me the frame rate and then said (unlimited) after it, even though I specifically set the frame rate limiter to 30. Anyone have ideas on what I can do?

Unlimited is what you have it set to within FSX - that is correct, if you are using the external limiter.

Bert

Unlimited is what you have it set to within FSX - that is correct, if you are using the external limiter.

Oh ok that is good to know! 

Well there won't be any smoothness at all if the FPS dips into the teens.  It will just look like a really nice slide show.   While FPS is not the end all be all, you do have to keep it at a reasonable level or smoothness won't matter because you will never achieve it in slideshow mode.

Totally going to try your setup.    Can you tell me your slider settings?    I have been struggling to keep good frames and smoothness with traffic on at the big boy airports and it's hit and miss.   

Will gladly PM you my cfg if you like. PM me if you want it, and I'll send it.

Remember though, when you say "big boy" airports... I don't have any add-on airports, that in my view are ridiculously demanding. In addition, traffic is something I keep to the minimum. Traffic is a killer. no reason why you couldn't tweak traffic up from my setting and see how you go.

Others have also noticed the colossal benefit from no limiter at all [internally or externally].

Why some get stutters in this scenario and others don't I'm not sure. Probably related to the hyper detailed add-on airports and scenery some favour, and trying to push stuff like traffic to levels FSX disfavours. Lots of variables though.