Sign in to follow this  
nikos

New tweak?

Could someone explain the logic of using frame rate limiting on systems

that are getting frame rates well below that limit, as with red259 above?

Surely the system must be capable of doing better than the set frame rate limit to get any benefit.

Isn't it only by not rendering those frames above the limit that the system is able to redirect it's resources?

Am I missing something?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

From here: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/324786-nvidia-configuration-guide-inspector-2xxxx-drivers-version-20-explanations-of-all-settings/

"The profiles are stored in a binary file that's usually edited using the Nvidia Control Panel's "Manage 3D settings" page, Program Settings tab. That's all Inspector is, an alternate way of editing that file - it does not make the video card do things it and the driver are not already capable of doing."

By selecting "Adaptive (half refresh rate)" in Nvidia's Control Panel you just make sure that 1/2 rr is going to be applied. It's not "Setting Vsync in three different places". There is only one place basically. GC's Driver.

You all have a point though. Maybe unlimited frames inside FSX work better with heavy add-ons and full traffic. I never use them. My system is not as good as the ones mentioned above (i7 OC etc.) and I try to stay away from trouble. I will try a demanding scenario soon and I will post my conclusions.

Thanks anyway.

Nick

Could someone explain the logic of using frame rate limiting on systems

that are getting frame rates well below that limit, as with red259 above?

Surely the system must be capable of doing better than the set frame rate limit to get any benefit.

Isn't it only by not rendering those frames above the limit that the system is able to redirect it's resources?

Am I missing something?

gb.

I may not be the most appropriate one to explain, but the FSX's command is not a limiter. It's a target frame rate. You choose the frame rate you want FSX to achieve. You don't exactly limit its frames. By setting it to "unlimited" you force the system to run at its best all the time and you come afterwards to "cut" what is above a desired limit with an external limiter (ex. FPS Limiter), because if you don't, instability might occur. A widely accepted frame limit for smooth performance (fps is not the real issue) is 30.

What I am saying here is that I don't think it's (always? we 'll see) necessary to ask FSX to constantly run with full power, especially with the light scenarios I use (small airports, prop engine planes etc.). Add-ons like REX and FTX don't kill fps in the way a huge airport does (I only have Fly Tampa Athenes and some Iceland's freeware sceneries and airports). In my case, 60 fps as a target inside FSX made my simulation softer (with unlimited frames my GPU temperature rises way above 70° C) and smoother (almost no tearing effect and no stuttering). I don't know what would happen with heavier stuff like the PNDG 737, big airports etc. In this case, target frame rate set to unlimited might work better.

I may not be the most appropriate one to explain, but the FSX's command is not a limiter. It's a target frame rate. You choose the frame rate you want FSX to achieve. You don't exactly limit its frames.

The internal limiter does exactly limit the frame rate.

Perhaps you mean it does not limit the overall system processing power FSX is using?

By setting it to "unlimited" you force the system to run at its best all the time and you come afterwards to "cut" what is above a desired limit with an external limiter (ex. FPS Limiter), because if you don't, instability might occur. A widely accepted frame limit for smooth performance (fps is not the real issue) is 30.

Well that's exactly what I said above, except that the internal limiter should do a similar job.

If in your case you are getting 50 FPS and then set a limiter to 30 FPS that's 20 FPS of processing power that can be redirected.

My point is that anyone never getting over 30 FPS unlimited will not see any benefit in setting 30 limited.

Please shoot me down if this is wrong. :)

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

The underlying issue is that there is a "bug" in FSX where setting the internal limiter also changes the texture/scenery priority, causing you to lose FPS when compared to running unlimited (this is likely why blurries are more of a problem with unlimited, even when locking externally to a similar framerate). I've been experimenting with a few workarounds with relatively good success... 

As a long standing FS9 and more recently FSX flyer, I am beginning to get tired of reading about and trying tweaks, although I appreciate that all of this advice is well intentioned and I respect the effort people have put into identifying these ways of trying to get FSX to run more smoothly. I used to try all sorts of tweaks and sometimes they would seem to work but sometimes they would work in some areas but not in others! The only thing I now tweak in FSX is my anti-virus (I turn it off!) and FSX runs very smoothly in all areas with the frame rate sat to unlimited. I bought, installed and used FSPS FSX Booster but no longer use it as things seem much smoother without it. At the end of the day I think the smoothness all depends on the power of your system and the frame rates don't seem to matter too much providing they are consistent. Some areas, depending on the addon scenery, have lower FPS than others but irrespective of that all seem smooth! Maybe I am just getting too old to try many more tweaks!

Bill

I don't know if anyone is still interested, but the last 2 days I've been experimenting with the settings I mentioned above, with the heaviest scenarios I could, (heavy in relation to my computer specs of course). Nothing too heavy though for the specs of other systems exposed here. I must admit that a target of 60 frames inside FSX was not the best for heavy situations.
At a specific "hot" spot, with a specific view angle, seeing the whole airport in front of me and most of the add-on scenery from a height of 2000-2500 ft, the winner setting was unlimited with 28-29 fps. In all other angles and view spots 30 fps average was easily maintained with fps value varying from 27 to 35 but with no tearing and lag showing up.
30, 60 and 90 fps inside FSX were tested with the exact same settings and flight paths and gave similar results: 30 fps steadily, but when I reached the specific "hot" spot fps went down to 22-24 fps and stuttering became annoying.

On the other hand, TFR set to 60fps was a better, less demanding choise in lighter situations. Fps were always close to 30 with a much smaller value breadth (~29-31 fps), whereas the breadth I observed with a TFR set to unlimited was significantly larger (~27-33, as above) while the Graphics Card auto-fan was making a greater noise trying to keep temps down.

So, sorry for all the fuss. Nothing new and nothing special...

I will post my Nvidia's and FSX's settings here, just in case someone wants to give them a try. I run FSX with DX10 Preview. VSync Tear control was set back to Standard for this test. The rest were taken from the well known NickN's and RotationX's settings.

608ulKm.png

My fsx.cfg tweaks:

[bUFFERPOOLS]
UsePools=1
Poolsize=8388608
RejectThreshold=126976

[GRAPHICS]
ForceFullScreenVSync=1
D3D10=1
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=2048
HIGHMEMFIX=1
MultiSamplesPerPixel=8
MultiSampleQuality=8

[Main]
DisablePreload=1
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.25

[Display]
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=80
TextureMaxLoad=30
UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=0
WideViewAspect=True

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=14 (quad core, no HT)

[TERRAIN]
LOD_RADIUS=6.500000
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=800
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=1000

[sCENERY]
MAX_ASYNC_BATCHING_JOBS=3
SmallPartRejectRadius=3.0

Yesterday I tried this texture conversion too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsWpZMF9U28 with remarkable results.

Credits to NickN, RotationX, Steve and Word Not Allowed.

That's all.

As a long standing FS9 and more recently FSX flyer, I am beginning to get tired of reading about and trying tweaks, although I appreciate that all of this advice is well intentioned and I respect the effort people have put into identifying these ways of trying to get FSX to run more smoothly. I used to try all sorts of tweaks and sometimes they would seem to work but sometimes they would work in some areas but not in others! The only thing I now tweak in FSX is my anti-virus (I turn it off!) and FSX runs very smoothly in all areas with the frame rate sat to unlimited. I bought, installed and used FSPS FSX Booster but no longer use it as things seem much smoother without it. At the end of the day I think the smoothness all depends on the power of your system and the frame rates don't seem to matter too much providing they are consistent. Some areas, depending on the addon scenery, have lower FPS than others but irrespective of that all seem smooth! Maybe I am just getting too old to try many more tweaks!

Bill

I agree with you.

I use two tweaks and one fix.

BP=0 and AF=12. And of cousre HIGHMEMFIX. That's all.

And yes, like you I have totally unlimited frame rate, totally smooth and high frame rates.

I think the smoothness all depends on the power of your system

Absolutely... as long as you don't go mad with tweaks that don't work, hyper detailed scenery add-on's, and ultra high sliders.

Many compromise their own sims.

The same for me. Setting a limiter inside fsx my fps decrease between 7-12

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Same here - locking frames internally or externally reduces overall frame rate on my system for some reason. This is using DX10.