Sign in to follow this  
NoiZe91

Flows Delay AXE

So I did not have a mce.ini (searched in FSX and MCE directory)

Make sure your system is set to show hidden files and folders, then go to

C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Roaming\Multi Crew Experience\ folder

You'll find mce.ini there

[VOXSCRIPT]

SingleTaskTimout=6 (default is 15 seconds)

Just to correct myself

[VOXSCRIPT]

SingleTaskTimout=10000  (default is 15000 milliseconds, minimum 10000, maximum 20000)

For now use value 10000

I'm happy to report that the issue is now understood and a fix is on the way.

It is a multi-threading related bug. Something you can't replicate at will. It has to do with FO's ability to execute the script related actions all while dealing with the odd non-scripted request. Every now and then he would confuse a scripted command with a direct one and forgets to notify himself to move to the next scripted task.

Just to correct myself

[VOXSCRIPT]

SingleTaskTimout=10000  (default is 15000 milliseconds, minimum 10000, maximum 20000)

For now use value 10000

OK, I will try this. I now added the recommended options in the mce.ini and it got a little bit better. Some commands only get stuck at random. Could not determine a certain pattern. Delay is greatly decreased and always about 2-5 seconds.

I'm happy to report that the issue is now understood and a fix is on the way.

It is a multi-threading related bug. Something you can't replicate at will. It has to do with FO's ability to execute the script related actions all while dealing with the odd non-scripted request. Every now and then he would confuse a scripted command with a direct one and forgets to notify himself to move to the next scripted task.

I'm very happy to hear that. I really appreciate your help and hopefully this will fix the issue. Thanks!

I only had time to make one flight with the SingleTaskTimout=10000 (not TimEout, right?).  I hesitate to report good results with just one flight, because I know I've given you incorrect positive reports in the past when dealing with this problem, but all of the flows from beginning of flight to end did seem to clip along at a consistent pace on this one.  They seemed maybe a little slow, but it was consistent and there were none of those "Are you still alive, Trav?"  lags that I normally experienced.  Among other things, the Clean Up voxscripts on all planes almost always gave me fits, but it performed fine on this flight.  I'm in the middle of doing some things other than flight sim right now, so I'm probably not going to get many more flights in this week, but that's the only feedback I can give you right now.   I look forward to the permanent fix.

Thanks for taking seriously this issue that apparently only a few users like me and Noize91 have, and not giving up on it!

I only had time to make one flight with the SingleTaskTimout=10000 (not TimEout, right?).  I hesitate to report good results with just one flight, because I know I've given you incorrect positive reports in the past when dealing with this problem, but all of the flows from beginning of flight to end did seem to clip along at a consistent pace on this one.  They seemed maybe a little slow, but it was consistent and there were none of those "Are you still alive, Trav?"  lags that I normally experienced.  Among other things, the Clean Up voxscripts on all planes almost always gave me fits, but it performed fine on this flight.  I'm in the middle of doing some things other than flight sim right now, so I'm probably not going to get many more flights in this week, but that's the only feedback I can give you right now.   I look forward to the permanent fix.

Thanks for taking seriously this issue that apparently only a few users like me and Noize91 have, and not giving up on it!

Thanks KingGhidorah.

No need for further tests on this one.

We wish you insisted earlier because the issue although subtle, was there. Now fixed, and new package will be available this week-end.

With the new 2.5.7.8. should I get rid of the SingleTaskTimout line I had recently added to my mce.ini?

Affirmative.

If line is missing, it defaults to 15 seconds, value 15000.

Had a flight with the new 2.5.7.8 on dc 9.  There were a couple of instances where Trav's delay between items was somewhat more than the 2 second interval specified in the script, like maybe 5 or 6 seconds, and I was tempted to yell out "Pay Attention", but I didn't have to, and these were rare, anyway.  I haven't tried any of the other planes yet.  So, generally good results, or excellent results if one considers that when I first encountered this problem, we were sometimes dealing with 30 or 60 second lags just to turn on two lights.

Had a flight with the new 2.5.7.8 on dc 9.  There were a couple of instances where Trav's delay between items was somewhat more than the 2 second interval specified in the script, like maybe 5 or 6 seconds, and I was tempted to yell out "Pay Attention", but I didn't have to, and these were rare, anyway.  I haven't tried any of the other planes yet.  So, generally good results, or excellent results if one considers that when I first encountered this problem, we were sometimes dealing with 30 or 60 second lags just to turn on two lights.

It's definitely nailed down.

It was affecting all aircraft since it was tied to the Voxscript engine.

Now, FO is so effective, you'll have a hard time distracting him.

Try asking for a very long flow to be performed silently in the background, and while he's bysy at it, bombard him with many direct requests to switch other buttons or reply to questions about weather or other ops data.

Bad news, still not working for me. I have still delays of 10-15 seconds between 2 checklist items. The first flow worked liked a charm, but then from the second on it went back to the old problem. I made a complete reinstallation of MCE (uninstalling, removing mce.ini, installing MCE, configuring MCE).

Bad news, still not working for me. I have still delays of 10-15 seconds between 2 checklist items. The first flow worked liked a charm, but then from the second on it went back to the old problem. I made a complete reinstallation of MCE (uninstalling, removing mce.ini, installing MCE, configuring MCE).

In general, when having any kind of issue with MCE, don't bother re-installing.

Since it doesn't modify any flight simulator related files there is little point in doing so. The only thing worth doing is a restore to factory settings. That will give you the latest "mce.ini" with default well tested options.

The checklist feature doesn't use the Voxscript engine.

Coud you be more specific?

Is this happening when you initiate a checklist?

If that's the case, it's normal for FO to wait for up to 12-15 seconds for your reply before moving to the next item.

You had me convinced this time! :P

I finally got a chance to do a full flight in the NGX from cold to shutdown.  Unlike my previous flights in the dc 9 where the results were rather good, on the NGX I got the lags again.  Not the worst of all time, but in some case delays between items ranging between 10 and 30 seconds at times, for items that had no more than a 2 second pause in the voxscript.  For example, the After Takeoff flow I know can be completed in about 30 seconds when all is running well, when he goes at the pace dictated by the script, but it took over a minute--not enough to get my blood boiling, but I was getting a little impatient.

What do you suggest?  Should i put that Timeout line back in my .ini, with a really short timeout time?

You had me convinced this time! :P

I finally got a chance to do a full flight in the NGX from cold to shutdown.  Unlike my previous flights in the dc 9 where the results were rather good, on the NGX I got the lags again.  Not the worst of all time, but in some case delays between items ranging between 10 and 30 seconds at times, for items that had no more than a 2 second pause in the voxscript.  For example, the After Takeoff flow I know can be completed in about 30 seconds when all is running well, when he goes at the pace dictated by the script, but it took over a minute--not enough to get my blood boiling, but I was getting a little impatient.

What do you suggest?  Should i put that Timeout line back in my .ini, with a really short timeout time?

You could do that, but anything lower than 10000 (10 seconds) will be set back to that minimum time within the app.

If you didn't customise much, maybe restoring to factory settings is the way to go.

You may want to backup your current config file first. Just in case. Mainly custom checklist paths and the likes which would be lost.

Are you using scripts as shipped by us or did you customise them further?

There could be something unforeseen there.

There are actions, like flight control checks, or trim reset where the timeout is hard coded at 30 seconds. Therefore if you have any of those in the script, and the action doesn't  signal it's completed, the script will wait that long.

You may want to get rid of some pauses.

Example

check flight controls

pause=15

There is no need for that 15 seconds pause because the "check flight controls" task itself is expected to take up to 30 seconds.

My scripts are basically stock, with a couple of minor streamlining here and there, and the elimination of the odd errors that popped up (several things in the factory scripts causing  "invalid script command" were removed or changed).  One of the changes I made months ago, incidentally, is to remove the Flight Controls check entirely, since I call that out explicitely myself, or just skip it.  I'm very positive that the lags I'm seeing are not intentional pauses--I've verified that.   On this last flight, I know that he was lagging specifically on items that had a 2 second delay in the script, such as lights and pumps, and I was timing how long it took him to actually do it (since there is a stopwatch built in to the front of the saitek yoke)

I'll think about settting it back to factory defaults, but I'm not so confident that there is any issue there with the way I've set things up.

This was actually the first flight I've actually used .78 on the NGX, and only my second flight overall with .78.  One of the previous flights where I reported fairly good results was on .72 with the singletask timeout set at 10, so maybe I'll give that another try, but on the current version.

Soon, I'm going to move to P3D on a new computer, so maybe it'll just dissapear on it's own, since it seems like a fluke that nobody but me and one other guy has encountered.

So I managed to do a flight with the new version, and everything went fine except two little lags.

Anyways, later on I wanted to try another thing and started FSX in windowed mode and suddenly all lags were back (every item was delayed about 7-10 seconds). I will try this more in future if it really is depending on the windowed mode. Hopefully this can you.