Sign in to follow this  
Overload

Re Doug's JetMax Review

As a recent JetMax customer, I thought it might be worthwhile to add to Doug's review by sharing my JetMax experience on the forum.

I took the plunge and had my JetMax delivered to the UK in June. I'd often view cockpit builders websites, envious of their wonderful creations, knowing that I just didn't have the IT or practical skills needed to match their achievements. Then I came across the JetMax website from the Avsim adverts, and after discussions with Peter Cos, ordered their top of the range model, with all the extra “bells and whistles” they had available, inc clock, lower DU, Nav comms box, and a floor plinth.

I also went for the full build in Canada, with 2 networked PC's, floor standing column, rudder pedals, everything, so that when I put it all together in the UK it was set to go.

It arrived in a large pallet packing case, very securely loaded, with the actual unit screwed to the floor of the pallet. I unpacked it, got it indoors and started putting it all together.

Actually is was far more complete than I expected, I maybe thought for transportation it would be partly or mostly disassembled, but it was a completed unit, that just need hooking up to the PC's etc. I had to separate the throttle unit from the main unit to get it through the front door, but other than that the cockpit was ready to go.

The “hook up” instructions were very clear, and Steve Cos had included photo's and diagrams of where all the USB cables, VGA cables, power cables needed to go, plus a photo of the JetMax on its plinth in Canada, to help with alignment of the rudder pedals, column etc.

Once it was powered up, I started the PC's and ran through the equally clear software start sequence. I started FSX, and loaded a flight already saved for me by FDS, sitting on 34R at KSEA, engines running. No VC of course, just looking down the runway. Then I ran a “launch” tool, that once it's run with remarkably few mouse clicks, fires off programs left right and centre, and about 5 seconds later, the JetMax screens are fully populated, the MCP has come to life, everything is working.

This really surprised me, and no disrespect to FDS, but with all the separate graphics cards, USB's, components, and programs that have to come together to create the illusion, I thought the powering up process would just be the beginning of a learning curve that would eventually lead to success. (Anyone here spent more time tinkering with hardware/software than spent flying? Just me I guess....).

Within a few minutes I'd programmed a short route, got some Vspeeds, and was set to go.

It's lived up to and exceeded all my hopes and expectations, I just can't walk past it without the urge to fire it up, and get flying.

The other thing that surprised me is how robust it is. I've got the launch sequence off pat now, and within 2 minutes of FSX being loaded, the JetMax is fully functional. It hardly ever throws a “wobbly”, and in 6 months of use I've only ever re-booted twice because some component wasn't behaving as expected.

FDS thoughtfully put “TeamerViewer” (remote PC control) software on both PC's, I've only ever had call to use it once with Steve Cos, who very quickly ironed out a minor problem when the physical flap lever and the VGA screen flap lever were one notch out of synch. It only took a couple of minutes.

Yet it does all this with an amazingly small footprint, most of us would have somewhere to put one, but mine takes pride of place in the lounge – (guess what – I'm not married!).

I also think it represents remarkable value for money, yes it's not cheap, but if you added up the costs of all the different components, the time and effort to get them working, it is very good value, especially as FDS's credentials as real world sim cockpit builders shines through in the quality of the finished product.

I think the “build” option which cost me around $980CAD (about £600), was excellent value, it would have taken me months with my limited IT skills. They configured 2 new PC's from scratch, networked them, installed all the various softwares, and tested them, and were honest enough to let me know that they'd had big problems with the USB's on one PC, requiring a return of a PC to the retailer to sort out the problem. Integrity and customer support are strong ethics within FDS.

Shipping (DHL) was also around $980, considering the size of the pallet, and weight (240kgs), and a truck coming from Heathrow to my home with just my case on board (80 miles), for around an economy class airfare, pretty good.

DHL charged around £120 for dealing with UK customs, but there was no duty as such because it was for private use, although the inevitable VAT at 20% is applied, there's no way around that in Euroland...

But the most amazing thing for me about the JetMax, is for the first time, an ordinary “Joe”, who knows nothing about LUA/LINDA/SOIC scripts/Opencockpit/Project Magenta etc can buy a reasonable priced 737 sim, that's as close to plug and play as is reasonably possible, and it works!

Eugene

Some pics:

The packing case:

Packing case dismantle, JetMax still screwed to the case, having just removed the throttle unit to get Jetmax through the front door.

In Flight!

• Upvote 1

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Overload,

Thanks for this review!!  Your story resembles mine, been watching and drooling in awe for years over other home cockpit achievements.  When I 1st saw JetMax I was in love!!  I have this on my bucket list and hope to get one someday. 

I look forward to any new updates on your progress!!  This is awesome!!

Cheers!! JP98

Nice review! I'd never heard of these guys until today.. and I live just a short drive from their Canadian location.

That setup requires three Projectors for external view + a Boeing enclosure.

:Big Grin:

If the CDU was made into a touchpad so that default operations don't change, but there will be no need for external mouse would be cool :D

Cost? Pls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Cost? Pls.

Costs are on the products page of their website: But come in 3 models, and vary from $3495 for a basic unit, to $6995 CAD for the top of the range. Refer to Dougs article and the website for the differences between them. Pretty affordable in home cockpit terms.

The components ooze quality, not surprising as FDS have supplied around 60 full sized sims in the last few years, including several to Boeing.

http://www.jetmax.ca/products

But allow for shipping, local taxes and any work you ask FDS to do on your behalf.

Eugene

Cost? Pls.

Costs are on the products page of their website: But come in 3 models, and vary from $3495 for a basic unit, to $6995 CAD for the top of the range. Refer to Dougs article and the website for the differences between them. Pretty affordable in home cockpit terms.

The components ooze quality, not surprising as FDS have supplied around 60 full sized sims in the last few years, including several to Boeing.

But allow for shipping, local taxes and any work you ask FDS to do on your behalf.

Eugene

Cost? Pls.

Eugene

Cost? Pls.

Eugene

Cost? Pls.

Eugene

Sorry for the multiple posts but was getting "501" errors - server busy or offline - so tried again later - but they all went through, Doh!

Eugene

As a recent JetMax customer, I thought it might be worthwhile to add to Doug's review by sharing my JetMax experience on the forum.

I took the plunge and had my JetMax delivered to the UK in June. I'd often view cockpit builders websites, envious of their wonderful creations, knowing that I just didn't have the IT or practical skills needed to match their achievements. Then I came across the JetMax website from the Avsim adverts, and after discussions with Peter Cos, ordered their top of the range model, with all the extra “bells and whistles” they had available, inc clock, lower DU, Nav comms box, and a floor plinth.

I also went for the full build in Canada, with 2 networked PC's, floor standing column, rudder pedals, everything, so that when I put it all together in the UK it was set to go.

It arrived in a large pallet packing case, very securely loaded, with the actual unit screwed to the floor of the pallet. I unpacked it, got it indoors and started putting it all together.

Actually is was far more complete than I expected, I maybe thought for transportation it would be partly or mostly disassembled, but it was a completed unit, that just need hooking up to the PC's etc. I had to separate the throttle unit from the main unit to get it through the front door, but other than that the cockpit was ready to go.

The “hook up” instructions were very clear, and Steve Cos had included photo's and diagrams of where all the USB cables, VGA cables, power cables needed to go, plus a photo of the JetMax on its plinth in Canada, to help with alignment of the rudder pedals, column etc.

Once it was powered up, I started the PC's and ran through the equally clear software start sequence. I started FSX, and loaded a flight already saved for me by FDS, sitting on 34R at KSEA, engines running. No VC of course, just looking down the runway. Then I ran a “launch” tool, that once it's run with remarkably few mouse clicks, fires off programs left right and centre, and about 5 seconds later, the JetMax screens are fully populated, the MCP has come to life, everything is working.

This really surprised me, and no disrespect to FDS, but with all the separate graphics cards, USB's, components, and programs that have to come together to create the illusion, I thought the powering up process would just be the beginning of a learning curve that would eventually lead to success. (Anyone here spent more time tinkering with hardware/software than spent flying? Just me I guess....).

Within a few minutes I'd programmed a short route, got some Vspeeds, and was set to go.

It's lived up to and exceeded all my hopes and expectations, I just can't walk past it without the urge to fire it up, and get flying.

The other thing that surprised me is how robust it is. I've got the launch sequence off pat now, and within 2 minutes of FSX being loaded, the JetMax is fully functional. It hardly ever throws a “wobbly”, and in 6 months of use I've only ever re-booted twice because some component wasn't behaving as expected.

FDS thoughtfully put “TeamerViewer” (remote PC control) software on both PC's, I've only ever had call to use it once with Steve Cos, who very quickly ironed out a minor problem when the physical flap lever and the VGA screen flap lever were one notch out of synch. It only took a couple of minutes.

Yet it does all this with an amazingly small footprint, most of us would have somewhere to put one, but mine takes pride of place in the lounge – (guess what – I'm not married!).

I also think it represents remarkable value for money, yes it's not cheap, but if you added up the costs of all the different components, the time and effort to get them working, it is very good value, especially as FDS's credentials as real world sim cockpit builders shines through in the quality of the finished product.

I think the “build” option which cost me around $980CAD (about £600), was excellent value, it would have taken me months with my limited IT skills. They configured 2 new PC's from scratch, networked them, installed all the various softwares, and tested them, and were honest enough to let me know that they'd had big problems with the USB's on one PC, requiring a return of a PC to the retailer to sort out the problem. Integrity and customer support are strong ethics within FDS.

Shipping (DHL) was also around $980, considering the size of the pallet, and weight (240kgs), and a truck coming from Heathrow to my home with just my case on board (80 miles), for around an economy class airfare, pretty good.

DHL charged around £120 for dealing with UK customs, but there was no duty as such because it was for private use, although the inevitable VAT at 20% is applied, there's no way around that in Euroland...

But the most amazing thing for me about the JetMax, is for the first time, an ordinary “Joe”, who knows nothing about LUA/LINDA/SOIC scripts/Opencockpit/Project Magenta etc can buy a reasonable priced 737 sim, that's as close to plug and play as is reasonably possible, and it works!

Eugene

Some pics:

The packing case:

attachicon.gifpack case 1.jpg

Packing case dismantle, JetMax still screwed to the case, having just removed the throttle unit to get Jetmax through the front door.

attachicon.gifpack case 2.jpg

In Flight!

attachicon.gifIn flight.JPG

attachicon.gifin flight 2.JPG

Hi ... Just been talking to these guys for a little while as I am thinking of setting up a business in the North West so I'd be interested to find out how you are getting on ?

Does it work in conjuction with any other FSX/P3D Addons ?

What monitors are you using ?

Whitetimer

JetMax is going well. I was using it mostly with FSX until recently, with a Cobra projector screen (http://www.cobrasimulation.com/), using a projector in 1920x1080 resolution, so all my add-ons were fine of course. But have recently changed to a 4K projector using 4096 x 2160 resolution, which FSX had trouble coping with, so am now switching to P3D, which is working well. I'd like to get Ezdok and UT2 working with P3D, but haven't worked out how to do it yet - there seems to be mixed success on AVSIM with those add-ons, and I'm not the techiest guy on the block. I'm running it with ORBX Global, and a number of payware airports.

The JetMax itself is very robust and rarely lets me down, I've never had a moments regret over its purchase.

Eugene

JetMax is going well. I was using it mostly with FSX until recently, with a Cobra projector screen (http://www.cobrasimulation.com/), using a projector in 1920x1080 resolution, so all my add-ons were fine of course. But have recently changed to a 4K projector using 4096 x 2160 resolution, which FSX had trouble coping with, so am now switching to P3D, which is working well. I'd like to get Ezdok and UT2 working with P3D, but haven't worked out how to do it yet - there seems to be mixed success on AVSIM with those add-ons, and I'm not the techiest guy on the block. I'm running it with ORBX Global, and a number of payware airports.

The JetMax itself is very robust and rarely lets me down, I've never had a moments regret over its purchase.

Eugene

You bought a cobra screen for GBP 6000+ ? 

Wish I had that budget...