Sign in to follow this  

I'm totally new at this....  you might have seen the RealAir Duke thread where I thought I'd like to try painting...  so far it's been a dysmal failure lol!

Ugh.....

Hey at least PART of the paint made it onto the wing somehow.... I painted it on the fuselage... any idea how it ended up there?  (the red and brown stripe)

Also how do I mirror this layer onto the other side of fuselage?  Or do I have to paint upside down and backwards?  Eeek!

Edited by firehawk44
Top Image removed as it exceeds 400KB weight. Yours was 510.55KB

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

You have to flip your texture vertically to get the bits to line up. There is an option in DXTBmp to do this. Watch the Alpha.

As for the strips, copy the layer(s), flip them vertically, and move into position.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Does the flipping depend on paintkit?  Because in the duke paintkit and image tool I didn't have to flip...

edit:  Nevermind...  I got it working with nvidia plugin for Photoshop CS2 (the free one)...  it was kindly written out in Sean's Duke paint kit PDF.

For the strips.... I rotated them 180.... but it didn't seem right...  I'll have to play around.  Are you using the Transform function to do this?

Ooooh!  It worked (sort of)... need to figure out how to align this stuff.  And no... I'm not an artist lol!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

For the strips.... I rotated them 180.... but it didn't seem right...

Flip vertical and rotate 180 are not the same thing.

Are you using the Transform function to do this?

Yep, Transform>Flip vertically.

need to figure out how to align this stuff.

Welcome to the wonderful world of repainting.

The design work is the easy part, making it project correctly on the plane is the hard part.

regards,

Joe

sigbar.gif

1. Hey at least PART of the paint made it onto the wing somehow.... I painted it on the fuselage... any idea how it ended up there?  (the red and brown stripe)

2. Also how do I mirror this layer onto the other side of fuselage?  Or do I have to paint upside down and backwards?  Eeek!

1. Make sure the actual texture has been successfully converted (by using DXTBMP)

Also, Sometimes DXTBMP will not load the rest of the picture (which can be deceiving), which a tiny missing part of the texture can even stuff up the whole aircraft's texture. (which happened to me once)

2. I use "Microsoft Paint". (if you don't want to be using payware) With Paint, I can highlight a specific area of the texture and re-paste it on the other side of the fuselage. then I keep the re-pasted highlighted and flip it horizontally or vertically.

But, I'm not really sure what the interface of Photoshop is? :unsure: You're gonna have to find that one out by yourself.

Regards,

Campo

.. Though it is worth pointing out that Adobe have made Photoshop cs2 available for free, and with the nvidia plugin it eliminates the problems with flipping textures (does it automatically) and will save the texture and alpha l together in one go...

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

1. Make sure the actual texture has been successfully converted (by using DXTBMP)

Also, Sometimes DXTBMP will not load the rest of the picture (which can be deceiving), which a tiny missing part of the texture can even stuff up the whole aircraft's texture. (which happened to me once)

2. I use "Microsoft Paint". (if you don't want to be using payware) With Paint, I can highlight a specific area of the texture and re-paste it on the other side of the fuselage. then I keep the re-pasted highlighted and flip it horizontally or vertically.

But, I'm not really sure what the interface of Photoshop is? :unsure: You're gonna have to find that one out by yourself.

Regards,

Campo

Never had any issues as mentioned above with DXTbmp.

Microsoft paint is NOT suitable to make any acceptable repaintwork.

There is no antialiasing in MS-Paint.

No use of layers either.

Gimp and Paint.net are excellent freeware painting programs.

Leen

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Never had any issues as mentioned above with DXTbmp.

Microsoft paint is NOT suitable to make any acceptable repaintwork.

There is no antialiasing in MS-Paint.

No use of layers either.

Gimp and Paint.net are excellent freeware painting programs.

Leen

I suppose My computer wasn't responding at the time of loading with DXTBMP (which caused the issue)

Well, I do know paint is useless if you don't want to be doing advanced painting with aircraft, but I managed to create a repaint for FSX using paint. (but that still doesn't mean I should use it)

Yeah, thank you so much beardysi, I'll try and download photoshop now.

Cheers!

Campo

Yeah, thank you so much beardysi, I'll try and download photoshop now.

Cheers!

Campo

It should be noted that Adobe backtracked on this 'free CS2' thing. It was introduced so that owners didn't have to worry about the authentication process should they need to reinstall, now that CS2 is not supported. However, it IS available from various places (here is one http://www.techspot.com/downloads/3689-adobe-photoshop-cs2.html ) and Adobe haven't kicked up a stink about it.....Yet.  :wink:

I reckon it comes under the heading of 'Every once in a while something nice happens'

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

FWIW, Photoshop of the future is called Photoshop Creative Cloud and is subscription based.

For something like $20 a month you can subscribe to and use the latest version.

For me, I am still happy with Photoshop 6, so as long as the OS boots it, I'm happy.

regards,

Joe

sigbar.gif