Sign in to follow this  
Guest lemonadedrinker

-> Rudder not working in FS9 <-

Guest ThrottleUp

Friends...The rudder on all planes (including default ones) has stopped working. I noticed it by chance when I was on external view while the Cessna Grand Caravan was on the runway. Using full deflection on the joystick I see that the ailerons & elevators work fine - but the rudder is frozen.The "Auto-Rudder" option in FS9 is turned on - still wont work.I loaded other default & add-on planes: same result http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/pcrying.gifCome to think of it my turns *have* been feeling sloppy when I fly. I got a feeling the rudder quit a long time ago...I have a Saitek ST90 Joystickhttp://www.pearl.de/images/large/pe-1224_2.jpgCan you help?Thank you :)----------------------------------------------------------------------****EDIT****:I went to Options->Controls->Assignments->Joystick Axes & found that the X-axis can only be assigned to *one* control-surface set (ailerons or rudder). I find that a bit strange - because Microsoft have a "auto-rudder" function thats supposed to move both ailerons & rudder - and both of them would have to use the X-axis to work.http://www.nextgenerationrecords.co.uk/boa...es/icon_eek.gifSo you can have one or the other but not both. So I guess Im stuck with aileron-only or rudder-only turns :( I still dont get why auto-rudder wont make the rudder work :(

When auto-rudder is enabled, I can't recall ever seeing the rudder move in spot view. You can detect if it is working by checking your turn coordinator. If you don't have to "step on the ball", then it is likely working.When autorudder is off, try this test:Go to spot view, turn num-lock off, and press the "0" key. If you don't see the rudder moving, there may be some conflicting joystick assignment causing the problem. You can check your joystick assignments and disable those that are rudder related if need be.In general, how do you like the joystick? I generally prefer a stick with a light touch, and I've been using an old Kraft joystick that's going on ten years'.... I've been looking to get a simple stick paired up with a set of rudder pedals so I can better practice crosswind landings (within the limits of MSFS) as I work towards my SPL.-JohnEdit: Didn't see your edit--you already discovered what I had suggested...

Guest ThrottleUp

<< Go to spot view, turn num-lock off, and press the "0" key. If you don't see the rudder moving, there may be some conflicting joystick assignment causing the problem >>The rudder moves when I do that! Ohh...so the rudder *is" working when auto-rudder is on...its just not shown on the visual model? That only means my sloppy turns are due to my flying "skill" hee hee http://www.nextgenerationrecords.co.uk/boa...con_redface.gifThanx for the heads up JohnCi!---------------------------------The Saitek ST90 joystick I have is great. For about $14 its a very good buy - and whats more it has a digital throttle built in with 4 LEDs that light up when you pour on the coal :) Its a - + button set into the top of the stick:http://www.ixbt.com/peripheral/saitek/st90/head.jpgAnd its legs fold neatly away for storage - its for this reason (and the throttle) that I got it!Of course in the end you cannot beat seperate rudder pedals!

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi. In the vc you can see the foot pedals moving if the rudder is working.Am I teaching my granma again!

I hope you don't mean you were teaching your granma to fly, and told her to look at the foot pedals when operating the rudder :) Methinks that would make VFR flight in crosswinds a challenge...

Guest lemonadedrinker

My granny has been gone a long time but before she left she said 'I'm off now, don't you be waitin' roun' for me'Just before Woodstock, I think it was. She never learned to fly (as far as I know) but what I intended to mean was that if the rudder wasn't working on the plane, then nor would the rudder pedals and instead of all that zooming in and out business you could just pan down momentarily! to see what was happening at your feet. I read something on another post about pedantry and this post of mine fits that quite nicely!!

Guest ThrottleUp

No yaw damper engaged :) I guess its just that FS9 does not show on the visual model that the rudder is moving. But in FS2000 you could clearly see the rudder & ailerons moving in synch with auto-rudder on! Wonder wy they got rid of that function. No big deal though! I was just worried that the rudder was not working at all hee hee.

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi there. I think Fs9 does show these bits working, but if you are watching the 'instant replay' then they don't seem to move, even though in your flight you were adjusting the controls.

Guest ThrottleUp

lemonadedrinker-I tried that but it doesnt work! I sat on the runway and in external view mode I jiggled the joystick, the ailerons & elevators move but the rudder stays frozen :)

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi there. I bin thinking on this and just tried the default Cessna at KSEA to see what happens. Your joystick moves the ailerons by going side to side. It moves the elevator by pulling forward or back on the stick, but my next thought is that you can only make the rudder go from side to side if you have a twisting handle.If you do have that kind of stick then I'm stumped, but if you don't then I would say that might be the reason :-roll

Guest ThrottleUp

<<< but my next thought is that you can only make the rudder go from side to side if you have a twisting handle.If you do have that kind of stick then I'm stumped, but if you don't then I would say that might be the reason >>>That might just be it! I *dont* have a stick with a twisting handle! Funny thing is on FS2000 *all* control surfaces moved - and I was using a mouse then! Like I said, its not a big deal its just a wee bit odd to see the rudder staying still when I a control-surface check in external-view mode (total wannabe-pilot style :) )Thanx for your input!!!!!

Guest lemonadedrinker

Nice if that was it! The thing with a twisty handle stick is the yawing and extra turning ability you get with it. Christmas is coming:9

Guest pwal

throttleup,as established in our a320 gau post, i'm no pro, but having the joystick w/ twist is great. - i flew a bit in fs at the age of about 12 in fs 1. then didnt try it again til now. i bought a $20 joystick after a couple months of having the program, it made all the difference. i aspire to nothing higher than this, cant imagine what my freinds would say if i had some whole setup. in any event, the crosswind landing really cant be practiced effectively if you still use key controls.