Sign in to follow this  
JohnB777

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO Vs. ASUS Z77 Sabertooth

Hmm, yes, I think I'll go with Paragon, I watched the features video and it states that it is good for moving from Computer to Computer, which is basically what I am doing as the motherboard technically IS the computer.

Paragon Hard Disc Suite has a facility whereby it will allow your existing OS etc to boot under your new hardware regime.

Knowing nothing about this kind of software, are you saying that you can completely build a new PC and then transfer a working and activated OEM version of Windows from your old PC to your new rig?

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

working and activated OEM version of Windows from your old PC to your new rig?

Rick ... Paragon doesn't mention OEM in their explanatory literature.

I certainly haven't tried it for that would be in direct contradiction of Microsoft's EULA.

Pretty straightforward.

After assambly instal windows 7 and drop in the mobo dvd.

Instal chipset drivers first.

Reboot and than go for the usb drivers and sata. Siund. Etc.

Stay away from the intelligent network stuff. And don't install the asus suite program.

use gpu-z and coretemp instead

As a rule of thumb, stay away from anything with the words intelligent, clever or smart on the label. When they malfunction, you'll never know what the hell is going on.

I certainly haven't tried it for that would be in direct contradiction of Microsoft's EULA.

That is exactly what I was getting at.

Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I would absolutely do a fresh install when changing out mobo/cpu!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I would absolutely do a fresh install when changing out mobo/cpu!

+1 - You may be surprised how much better your system and FSX run once you do everything fresh.

I just did a fresh install of fsx and some of the old problems I used to have are gone now. And it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be - has taken a couple of weekends.

Also you might be surprised that you may not even want to install some of that catalog of addons you may have built up over the years, which may help performance as well.

Rob

"Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it"

Have a rig very similar to the one you're considering (see posted specs) and run it on an Asus Z77V Pro. Very satisfied with it. As has been stated, do a new fresh instal of FSX and set up, tune, and tweak it per NickN's bible. Regards

I've done a few MOBO swap outs in recent years using the same OS. It doesn't matter if its OEM or retail, as long as your OS is genuine and you have the activation key code, you will be fine. On first boot, the OS will see the new MOBO as a new computer, all you have to do is follow the on screen instructions to re register and re activate your OS with Microsoft and its job done.  

If there are any issues after, you can always do a non destructive re-install of the OS.  Go for a Sabertooth Z87 so you can use the LGA1150 Haswel 4770k for a few bucks more.  Put your OS and apps on a couple of SSD's and you will have a kick butt system. Don't skimp on memory either, 1 or 2 sticks giving you 8 GB is more than enough. Go for a good GTX, Nvidia is the card of choice for FSX, always has been, always will be. Any one from the 5 series and up are great for FSX.

Good luck.

I've done a few MOBO swap outs in recent years using the same OS. It doesn't matter if its OEM or retail, as long as your OS is genuine and you have the activation key code, you will be fine. On first boot, the OS will see the new MOBO as a new computer, all you have to do is follow the on screen instructions to re register and re activate your OS with Microsoft and its job done.  

If there are any issues after, you can always do a non destructive re-install of the OS.  Go for a Sabertooth Z87 so you can use the LGA1150 Haswel 4770k for a few bucks more.  Put your OS and apps on a couple of SSD's and you will have a kick butt system. Don't skimp on memory either, 1 or 2 sticks giving you 8 GB is more than enough. Go for a good GTX, Nvidia is the card of choice for FSX, always has been, always will be. Any one from the 5 series and up are great for FSX.

Good luck.

You read my mind(well, almost), forget about a I7 3770k, I will go for a I7 4770k and a z87 Sabertooth. But I still havn't excactly changed my mind. I want to know which one will give better FPS, I hear the 4770k OC's less but is faster and the 3770k is better at OC'ing. I will be overclocking but in the end I just want the one that gives better FPS(don't care about anything else right now). I will be using a H100i Corsair cooler but I also need good lifespan. So what are everyones opinions on a 4770k vs. 3770k in a H100i in a Sabertooth Fps wise?

As for that reinstalling FSX, heres the thing, I am a stubborn person and will go to ANY extent to not have to reinstall FSX. I have read about creating a Hard drive 'image' using Paragon Hard disk manager 12 suite. OR partitioning my HD and transfering data to external drive and then back to internal after new hardware- what are your opinions on this?(And no, I will not do a reinstall, I have HUNDREDS of programs, HUNDREDs of tweaks to FSX and 50+ addons(I ain't kiddin'!) It would just be too much work.

As for my response to Busterbvi about RAM, I alrady have 16 GB of Corsair Vengeance RAM. I might get a GTX 550 TI later on(Christmas of 2014? This Christams will already be used up from all the other upgrades).

Yep, 4770k and Z87 is the way forward.  Seriously, I wouldnt bother overclocking, that CPU will be more than adequate for FSX. Go for reliability and stability. I'm still running it on a old Quad Core Yorkie (stock QX9770) and it laughs at FSX !  If you shove a good GTX in there you will be able to instal Nvidia Inspector, a great free utility for tweaking FSX and if you apply the popular tweak guide the frame rates will be locked at 30 fps.  The best upgrade you could possibly do right now would go the SSD route. You will be amazed at the difference. Your FSX is safe on your HD, you dont need fancy software to back it up, just copy & paste the entire folder to an external drive and C & P it back onto the new SSD when its installed. Or just re install your existing HD, C & P to the new SSD and remove your old drive, simple !  This is the way I move my FSX folder around and I never had a problem.  I know how you feel about not messing with it, I too have spent a lot of time and money getting it to where I am more than happy with it.  I have FSX humming along perfectly now.  Dont stress out about frame rates and overclocking, its quite unesessary. Make sure your RAM is compatible with the MOBO, just use Corsairs RAM compatibility page on their site.  If your OS is still 32 bit, your 16GB of RAM is useless. The sensible thing to do now would be to upgrade to W7 or W8 / 64 bit for a bit of future proofing. 

Shove a new OS on a 120GB SSD and your apps on something like a 350GB SSD and you will be in a whole new world of wonderfull things !

Regarding frame rates, keep in mind that 25 fps is as fast as the human eye can see and movies are shot at 27 fps !

Feel free to PM or email me.

Hope this helps.

Yep, 4770k and Z87 is the way forward.  Seriously, I wouldnt bother overclocking, that CPU will be more than adequate for FSX. Go for reliability and stability. I'm still running it on a old Quad Core Yorkie (stock QX9770) and it laughs at FSX !  If you shove a good GTX in there you will be able to instal Nvidia Inspector, a great free utility for tweaking FSX and if you apply the popular tweak guide the frame rates will be locked at 30 fps.  The best upgrade you could possibly do right now would go the SSD route. You will be amazed at the difference. Your FSX is safe on your HD, you dont need fancy software to back it up, just copy & paste the entire folder to an external drive and C & P it back onto the new SSD when its installed. Or just re install your existing HD, C & P to the new SSD and remove your old drive, simple !  This is the way I move my FSX folder around and I never had a problem.  I know how you feel about not messing with it, I too have spent a lot of time and money getting it to where I am more than happy with it.  I have FSX humming along perfectly now.  Dont stress out about frame rates and overclocking, its quite unesessary. Make sure your RAM is compatible with the MOBO, just use Corsairs RAM compatibility page on their site.  If your OS is still 32 bit, your 16GB of RAM is useless. The sensible thing to do now would be to upgrade to W7 or W8 / 64 bit for a bit of future proofing. 

Shove a new OS on a 120GB SSD and your apps on something like a 350GB SSD and you will be in a whole new world of wonderfull things !

Regarding frame rates, keep in mind that 25 fps is as fast as the human eye can see and movies are shot at 27 fps !

Feel free to PM or email me.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much, this is the answer I have been hoping for, I do have Windows 7 64-bit and I will definetly take your arive on transfering FSX SSD's, very helpful, and yes I have Corsair Vengeance.

Thank you for your help and advice,

John

Youre welcome.  And dont forget, if you go this route you will be enjoying all that PCIe 3, USB 3 and SATA 6 lovelyness !

Youre welcome.  And dont forget, if you go this route you will be enjoying all that PCIe 3, USB 3 and SATA 6 lovelyness !

Definetly won't forget, thanks very much!

I have the Z77 Sabertooth board and its really solid for OC, and you could probably get it pretty cheap now. See me specs, haven't had any issues and my build couldn't have gone better.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor