Sign in to follow this  
Kontio

Flickering/Shimmering in DX10

Hi guys,

i got the DX10fixer v1.1 and now switched from DX9 to DX10.

I've read this thread today and tried to fight that annoying flickering (in english i think the right word is shimmering ?) but i couldn't win the fight yet.

I tried a lot of combinations within the NI but no luck.

Don't have the best hardware but it worked well with DX9, no shimmering/flickering of fences, houses, trees, lines etc.

Here's my system: http://www.sysprofile.de/id177452

Good Morning - Welcome to the DX10 club!

1). Use this NI. It will work fine for your rig.

2). Your choiuce of 8x AA in the Fixer is too hard for your system. At the very maximum it can run 8x CSAA, which will give you 4x MSAA and 4x SGSS. The Fixer will install  these settings into your fsx.cfg automatically, and you will then take that "MultiSamplesPerPixel=4" and put it into the NI "AA - Transprency SuperSampling" line.. In this case it is already set in the NI profile that I have linked to in "1)." above. Note - there is very little noticeable difference in the quality between 4x and 8x - but there is a large performance drop when using 8x SGSS. Even with a 5 gig proc and a 780, I still use the NI exactly as it is above.

3). Turning on FXAA (Nvidia Pre-defined FXAA Usage "Allow", and "Toggle FXAA on or off - ON"   will get rid of the jagged edges to the spinning aircraft when FSX starts.

4). Vsync. Only use "ForceWindowedVSync=1" in the fsx.cfg. NI can handle vsync quite well, as set in the profile. You need "DisablePreLoad=1" under [Main] for it to work (it's already there).

5). Playing with the "Texture Filtering - LOD Bias" number may alter the shimmering (but may also increase it!). To start, I would set it to +0.0000, with TextureFiltering - Negative LOD Bias - set to "Allow" (as I have it set at this moment).

Meanwhile here is your fsx.cfg, changed somewhat.  

Note re BufferPools. This may help you to find a setting which will work for you.

Try it, set NI like the link above shows, set 8x in the Fixer, and your setup will - or should - then work a little better!

Let us know how it works.

All the Best,

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Thanks for your effort Paul but i don't get an improvement using your recommended settings. Flickering/shimmering is still there and doesn't change.

Will switch to DX9 again. I've got no flickering/shimmering in DX9-mode.

I won't buy new hardware only because of DX10.

I would get rid of all the tweaks in your Fsx.cfg.  Save this one as Fsx.orig.  Restart FSX and let it rebuild a new one.  Now, just change the resolution that is appropriate for your monitor, unlimited frames.  Turn on DX10.  Open up the Fsx.cfg and change Texture_Max_Load from 1024 to 2048 and change your LOD_Radius to 6.5.  Make sure the highmemfix=1 is in the Graphics section.  Make sure AA/AF are turned on. 

In the NI...

AA Setting should be 8xS  [Combined: 1.2 SS + 4x MS]

AA Transparency Multisampling - Disabled.

AA Transparency Supersampling - 2x Sparse Grid SS     NOTE:  This a frame rate killer and can cause anomalies.  4x should be used only for the most powerful computer systems.  You should try this disabled first.

Anisotropic filtering mode - Application Controlled  (turning this on is probably causing your shimmering)

Anisotropic filtering setting - Off [Linear]

Ambiant Occlusion - Off (does not work in FSX)

Ambient Occlusion usage - Disabled  (if turned on, FSX will disregard it).

Frame Rate Limiter - Off (external Framerate limiter causes major problems on some systems.  Based on my studies on the Internet, FSX works best using the internal Frame rate limiter (think you had yours set to unlimited in the Fsx.cfg which is good).

Vertical Sync - try 1/2 Refresh Rate.

Go Fly.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks for your effort Paul but i don't get an improvement using your recommended settings. Flickering/shimmering is still there and doesn't change. Will switch to DX9 again. I've got no flickering/shimmering in DX9-mode. I won't buy new hardware only because of DX10.

Do you get the flickering and shimmering only with the water reflections and light bloom? Because that's what I'm getting it with. It's not that these constantly flicker from on to off but rather change intensity constantly.

Do you get the flickering and shimmering only with the water reflections and light bloom? Because that's what I'm getting it with. It's not that these constantly flicker from on to off but rather change intensity constantly.

I will give it a last try today. First i will try Jim's ideas and then yours. Hopefully it will work better then. So thank you very much for any suggestion to lose the flickering/shimmering.

Forgot to mention you should also set NVIDIA Predefined FXAA Usage to 'Allowed' and Toggle FXAA on.  I'm in 7th Heaven with the display settings I provided above and I use no tweaks - none whatsoever except I have changed my LOD Radius to 6.5 and Texture Max Load to 2048.  I have a lot of photoscenery and that works best for that.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Now i tried all your recommended settings but i only got "improvement" by lowering the Texture Filtering - LOD Bias DX1 to a negative value.

But that makes things unsharp and is just fixing the flickering (lets call it almost non-working AA/AF) only a very little bit. It's not gone.

So unfortunately the DX10 is not working well for me regarding AA/AF. The increase of performance is in vain then.

I recognized that the flickering becomes less the nearer i am to that area. So maybe there is a setting increasing the radius for it, i don't know.

Another guess from me, i downloaded from Avsim "fps enhancement package" and "fsx enag" and "fsx enag2" for enhanced autogen. Maybe this can be a problem for DX10 ? Unfortunately i didn't make a backup of the original FSX-files so i will deinstall it and check it with a fresh FSX.

So i tried it now with a fresh install of FSX (Acc. Pack) to exclude the possibility that the enhanced-autogen downloads could cause the problem but no luck, no improvements.

Here's my short video with the problem i'm talking about, just as an example:

KORD: flickering red tower (all default, only applied the DX10fixer, used recommended settings from Jim) around 0:32 min and thereafter the flickering trees (ignore the stuttering it came from the recording software).

Unfortunately it's hard to see in the video despite FullHD :-/

http: // www . youtube.com/watch?v=hPY-F4KwUMQ

Guys you know what...loving it now with DX10.

Although the flickering/edges/bad working AA is still there i can now use FTX Global / UTX Europe / REX and all my other addons with max. graphic-settings and it looks great. I never thought of being able to fly with these high settings with my old PC.

A real pleasure to fly areas around the Alps and no stuttering with the 300S Extra aircraft so far.

is8bbgzo.png

Hi guys,

trying to find someone with my graphic card (NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+) who has no AA problems with DX10/DX10fixer !

Please contact me !

Thanks.