Sign in to follow this  
VitaminA330

Loss of FPS over water

Hi together!

Since I have Steve's DX10 fixer I have a strange problem:

As soon as I focus any water in FSX I get a HUGE drop of FPS, usually down to 5-6 fps even with the default ultralight plane at the default scenery. As soon as I turn the view "over land" everything runs normal. When looking into the land, I still get about 12 fps with the Airbus X, ORBX Brisbane + AI traffic for example. So it's clearly a problem with the water.

I've got REX 2 installed, with 1024 bit textures (as I always had before when I flew in DX9 mode), with the "optimized for DXT5" option activated. But even without that the problem existed. The problem occurs as soon as I set the water effects to any "normal" position, and even below I get bad fps. 

Does anyone know what could be the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Regards, Dominik

My System: Intel i5 3570k @ 3.4 GHz (not overclocked), NVidia Gforce GTS450, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, WD HDD @ 7.200 rpm

Regards, Dominik

If you dont have this in dx9 then I would say

uninstall steve's app /reboot and install again

OK, after some time I've uninstalled and reinstalled Steve's DX10 fixer with no result.

Then I wrote an eMail to Steve Parsons. He suggested that some textures are in 32bit format by mistake, probably the water effect textures (because the problem only occurs when I switch on the water effects). These textures were created by my REX2. BUT:

Could anyone tell me where these water EFFECT textures are in FSX and which format they should have?

In REX2 there are some options you can choose from before installing the textures. However there is no option for the format of the water (effect) textures, but only for the resolution.

Thanks again in advance,

Dominik

Regards, Dominik

OK, after some time I've uninstalled and reinstalled Steve's DX10 fixer with no result.

Then I wrote an eMail to Steve Parsons. He suggested that some textures are in 32bit format by mistake, probably the water effect textures (because the problem only occurs when I switch on the water effects). These textures were created by my REX2. BUT:

Could anyone tell me where these water EFFECT textures are in FSX and which format they should have?

In REX2 there are some options you can choose from before installing the textures. However there is no option for the format of the water (effect) textures, but only for the resolution.

Thanks again in advance,

Dominik

Are you using Nvidia Inspector?, as in this post:

http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15731-rex-water-frame-rate-loss-fix/

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

OK, now that I finally had some time again to test it, it really works now! :-)

I still can't tell you what exactly was wrong, but this is what I finally did:

- disabled all features in DX10 fixer

- uninstalled the effects

- reinstalled the effects, but did NOT enable DX10 mode in the fixer

- launeched FSX

- enabled DX10 preview mode in FSX

- restarted FSX, but before I checked the Settings in DX10 fixer again, and now they were all switched on, without doing that manually there

- FPS are nice again, even with the water effects switched on

- changed the Settings in NVidia inspector according to the info in the last post here (didn't notice a change, but left it like that)

In FSX and in DX10 fixer all the settings are the same as before. I just changed the order of enabeling them. Very strange because I still don't know what was wrong, but most important is thath it works now ;-)

Thank you again for all the helpful comments!

Cheers, Dominik

Regards, Dominik