Sign in to follow this  
Wolflikespie

Why are flight simmers so rude to each other?

1. I get a uiautomation.dll error 2. How do I fly an ILS 3. I get an OOM error 4. My favorite. IM BUILDING A NEW COMPUTER IS it GOOD ENOUGH TO RUN FSX/P3D. :) There are many more.

If it truly bothers anyone (I can't really see any reason why it should especially when the questions aren't being directly specifically at any individual 99.99% of the time) then why not just step aside and let someone who is willing answer the question. While they're at it they can possibly teach the new poster how to fish.

I actually don't use the search feature built into AVSIM because I don't find that it is of much use or is able to rank results based on relevance. I would rather not click through hundreds of posts to possibly find an answer. I get much better results by going to Google and funny enough it usually finds the right topic in AVSIM for me on the first try.

Sometimes, it can be fun to share someone else's new discovery and encourage them. I know that isn't up everyone's alley, but hey it's your hobby to kill.

1. I get a uiautomation.dll error 2. How do I fly an ILS 3. I get an OOM error 4. My favorite. IM BUILDING A NEW COMPUTER IS it GOOD ENOUGH TO RUN FSX/P3D. :) There are many more.

My favorite almost weekly asked question, "What is the best AI program?"

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Perhaps when you find you are in excess of +5000 or +10000 posts and these menial things are what bother you then maybe you should find something else to do with your time. If these are the sort of things that you have problems with in your life then I wish I had your lives.....Doesn't seem like you have any real problems.

I can think of a million other things in the world to worry about.

Very very well said...Amen.

Regards,

Joe Esposito

If it truly bothers anyone (I can't really see any reason why it should especially when the questions aren't being directly specifically at any individual 99.99% of the time) then why not just step aside and let someone who is willing answer the question. While they're at it they can possibly teach the new poster how to fish.

I actually don't use the search feature built into AVSIM because I don't find that it is of much use or is able to rank results based on relevance. I would rather not click through hundreds of posts to possibly find an answer. I get much better results by going to Google and funny enough it usually finds the right topic in AVSIM for me on the first try.

Sometimes, it can be fun to share someone else's new discovery and encourage them. I know that isn't up everyone's alley, but hey it's your hobby to kill.

I'll bring up a good example from the PMDG forum: there is a bug in the cold and dark panel state for the 777 that causes the master caution light to be stuck lit and shortly after it was released (and for a few weeks after) you only have to go back one or two pages to see at least 15+ threads regarding this exact problem which really did clutter up that sub forum, and people still occasionally post this problem without checking the issue thread. Some questions get posted so often that you don't even need to use the search funtion, just go back a page or two to find multiple threads on the same exact topic.

Actually I find most flight sim forums quite tame and enjoyable compared to many forums on the web.  I used to hang out in certain car forums that was full of uneducated, spoiled, know it all's, whose only contribution to society was the decline of civilization.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Simply put, there a__holes everywhere you go. The sim community is no different.

I guess the phrase "Forum Bull" is so closely related in my mind with the flight sim community because it was in the community (on another forum) here where I encountered my first example, and the impression was imprinted strongly in my mind.

Having some random stranger howling at you about what an idiot you are after you enthusiastically ask a simple question kind of sticks with you. Especially when time proves him so absolutely wrong, despite all of his supposed "Knowledge" and experience.

I've since seen several other examples in various forums since then (all flight sim related!) and there seems to be a certain species of that type that is unique in my experience, most especially in the way they are tolerated.

Even though the example that first caused me to coin that phrase was from a few years ago, it colored the whole way I thought and felt about the hobby for quite some time. Once bitten, twice shy. (and of course there is the example of watching others get jumped on, never to be seen again)

Maybe I have PTSD! (Forum Edition)  :blink:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

My favorite almost weekly asked question, "What is the best AI program?"

I already miss those, it's been a while since the last one has been asked... :P

To be honest, all those repetitive questions (the newest one probably being "I can't activate FSX") can be boring or tiresome, but instead of making rude, maybe even hurtful comments one should rather just keep silent. As someone said, there are such people (although only one or two come to my mind immediately, who seem to have that attitude), but those kind of people is everywhere, so I doubt there is an unusual high percentage of mean people here than anywhere else, it's just that those are quite present in the repsective forums, and quick to make helpless comments.

I think it is worth mentioning, though, that some of the "rudeness" is simply a misunderstanding due to language differences. I've stated this on various occasions already, but I think it is good to keep this in mind: Some things will more likely be understood as rude, just because we can't judge the poster's intentions based on his the expression in his tone and his face), adn some will sound perfectly normal to you in your own language, but when translated to English (and perhaps re-translated to another language) it can turn be understood wrongly!

The key is to show patience, and I strongly believe that if you can't keep your sarcasm out of a post, don't post at all (or at least not only a sarcastic but not helpful reply)!

I see people here that have 3,5,8, 10+ years in this forum, it's normal to see this question every day, people that ask this type of question have 2-3 weeks or days in this forum. That's why they come here, because they had a problem and they've been searching for an answer. 

DON'T EVER FORGET:

Every one of us have come here for the first time with a stupid question, asked before 1000 times, and we all received our answer, I think it's fair we help others, until they will integrate in our small community!

Regards, Albert Miu
                                                            CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.6Ghz GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 8GB OC Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI Hero RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866mhz 
                                               PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 Case: Corsair VENGEANCE C70 Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H110 Monitor: BENQ 1920x1080 Windows: 10 x64 Professional

X-Plane 11 Group:     Facebook

Treat people as you expect to be treated yourself simple as that. Treat like dirt get it back don't complain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

http://fs2crew.com/banners/Banner_FS2Crew_MJC_Supporter.png

Wayne HART

There are two types of people, those who make their world a very large place to live, and those who make their worlds very small. Ones actions will determine how big your world will be.

Matthew Kane

The reason we have forum bulls is becuase you have the certain breed of noob that asks that one question that has been beaten to death in the previous 100 threads without bothering to do a basic search, sometimes they ask the same question over and over after blatently disregarding a sticky that addresses the issue in the first place. Yes sometimes forum bulls go over the top but IMHO they are a necessary evil to keep the dead horse from being beaten to a watery pulp.

But they have never prevented the very next person to ask the very same question!   :P

Simply put, there a__holes everywhere you go. The sim community is no different.

Very true (and sad!):

AVSIM is about human beings in an online space. What else could we expect?

It's merely a special case of what anonymity does on the internet generally isn't it?  People say things in emails or forums they'd never be brave or stupid enough to say face to face.  In the absence of visual cues from facial expressions etc, emails and the like are very easily misinterpreted.

Personally, I think these forums are full of generous & helpful people.  There are a few "invigilators" who are happy to come out with "RTFM" type posts when, if they are so smart, it would be just as easy to be helpful & give the required answer.  Luckily those are relatively few & far between and long may it remain so.

ngxu_banner.png

I always enjoy posting questions here for a few reasons 1. Isn't that the purpose of  this forum ?  2.I enjoy hearing the opions of others. Doing research on a subject takes more time. I have a lot of things going on in my life right now, some good, some bad. It's better for me to post a question, do a little flying , visit My Mom in the nursing home, do yard work, cook, etc. , then come back later and find the answer. Call me lazy, I'll call me busy. I've had my fair share of people who just enjoy bad mouthing  others, but I think of those people who use their criticism as a form of power. They have a void in their life and they get off on critisising others.

(...) Doing research on a subject takes more time. (...) It's better for me to post a question, (...) then come back later and find the answer. Call me lazy, I'll call me busy. (...)

That's fuelling the fire, great post!   :lol: