Sign in to follow this  
Wolflikespie

Why are flight simmers so rude to each other?

....One of my biggest problems in communicating with people on the forum is that I have a very dry and acerbic wit and sense of humour much like a Brit.

Many's the time I've typed a reply whilst cackling to myself. (Damn! I'm funny!) Then think 'nah, that'll bomb.' and hit the back button.

Of course many's the time I've not hit the back button...and it bombed. :rolleyes:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I think I start a Jim Skorna Fan Club.

He is like my wife, cant live with her, but cant live without her.

Jim is needed for the headsup, and putting us back to earth.

I read the thread, and you will be amazed that a lot of people dont understand some simple things in live.

The OP in that thread came from a totaly different part of the world, and tried to his best to explain.

The reactions are from a western point of view. It will collide. Add some Americans, who expect the whole world thinks like thay do, and you have a misunderstandment. A bit of patience and, know not everyone masters English well, and not everyone is as smart as you.

PS: Ron, I hope it will not bomb.

I normally assume that the in-your-face RTFM, Search-The-Forum, hassle the FNG types are typically compensating for smallness.  If somebody has the time to type it, then either give the answer if you have it, or there is simply no need to say anything.

If somebody has the time to type it, then either give the answer if you have it, or there is simply no need to say anything.

Amen to that! I suspect more time is wasted by such folks trying to think up some new and clever put-down than it would take to simply provide an answer...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I've taken a few 1-2 year breaks over the 10 years I've been a member here, only just coming back a few months ago, after maybe 2 years away.

The difference in the atmosphere on this return was by far the greatest, and it's honestly been a bit hard to take. So much narcissism, selfishness, disrespect, and ungratefulness...it's sometimes hard to remember how things were just a few short years ago. I remember when freeware was a strong and celebrated part of the forum experience...not that there isn't still some wonderful and appreciated freeware out there but, not like it was, not even close. With the typical response to anything that doesn't have a PMDG label on it, it's pretty easy to see what happened there, but it's such a shame.

Speaking of PMDG, in my honest opinion, the worst section of this entire forum is the PMDG section, and I really believe that while a good portion of what goes on here now is just "how it is" nowadays, I also feel that a good bit of the negativity nurtured in that forum tends to seep out a bit. 

You know, this hobby sure did go and get awfully darn serious in the past few years...to think I was so confused and used it as an escape from real life stresses, now it seems we try to incorporate them  :lol:

Regards,

Brian Doney

Speaking of PMDG, in my honest opinion, the worst section of this entire forum is the PMDG section, and I really believe that while a good portion of what goes on here now is just "how it is" nowadays, I also feel that a good bit of the negativity nurtured in that forum tends to seep out a bit.

l:

I avoid that forum like the plague. Too many egoes in there, and such nastiness at times. Reminds me of the Apple and Android forums - everyone's an expert, yet know so little.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Many's the time I've typed a reply whilst cackling to myself. (Damn! I'm funny!) Then think 'nah, that'll bomb.' and hit the back button.

Of course many's the time I've not hit the back button...and it bombed. :rolleyes:

Oh I hear ya. Same story here.

Us people that have dry like a desert humor must stick together

I also read the thread and feel very bad for the poor guy. It was my hope that this thread would have brought awareness to the forum at large and perhaps give people a chance to double-check their actions on a conscious level.

Unfortunately for that guy, that didn't happen. Regardless of what he was asking or how he was asking it, those responses were demeaning at best.

I avoid that forum like the plague. Too many egoes in there, and such nastiness at times. Reminds me of the Apple and Android forums - everyone's an expert, yet know so little.

Hmmm  and you just posted  a post in the ngx forum, so  cant be that bad if  you still visit  there.   :Thinking:

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

You know, this hobby sure did go and get awfully darn serious in the past few years...to think I was so confused and used it as an escape from real life stresses, now it seems we try to incorporate them  :lol:

On the other hand we have a bunch of old dogs complaining that the new kids don't take it seriously enough. "It's a sim, not a game" and all that nonsense. So which is it?

I'm with you on this one, by the way. A slightly more relaxed attitude towards the hobby wouldn't hurt.

Edit: Just to clarify: I do not have a problem with people taking flight sims seriously. I just have a problem with those few who can't accept others not sharing their view and uses th phrase "It's a sim, not a game" as a fact rather than an opinion.

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

It's whatever one wants it to be.  If you just want a game, you've got it.  If you choose to use it as a simulator to further your knowledge and abilities as a pilot, then you've got that too.  I really don't see where it's that big of a deal.  Whichever way one chooses to look at it, I think that horse is pretty much glue by now, yes?

Cheers.  :smile:

Hmmm and you just posted a post in the ngx forum, so cant be that bad if you still visit there. :Thinking:

As I said, I avoid it. Saw an unread post on my Tab, where the resident band master was ripping some poor guy apart for not reading the manual. And what made it worse? It was a simple question and had already been answered, numerous times. Pathetic. Are you one of his groupies perhaps?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

On the other hand we have a bunch of old dogs complaining that the new kids don't take it seriously enough. "It's a sim, not a game" and all that nonsense. So which is it?

I'm with you on this one, by the way. A slightly more relaxed attitude towards the hobby wouldn't hurt.

Edit: Just to clarify: I do not have a problem with people taking flight sims seriously. I just have a problem with those few who can't accept others not sharing their view and uses th phrase "It's a sim, not a game" as a fact rather than an opinion.

I think you might have misunderstood my point, and being 35 years old doesn't make me an old dog, it means that I have things and can do stuff  :lol:

I was speaking only of the need for one to almost have a lawyer on retainer just to take part in certain sects of the hobby nowadays, etc.

Far too many of the things that are made into issues today have little or nothing to do with the sim itself. 

I have complete respect for whatever level of simming one is comfortable with. I have zero respect for those that try to impose their own view of how things should be done on others, "old dogs" or otherwise. 

There will come a point where the moderation here will be forced to change. It's not something I think anyone looks forward too, but it is the reality of the situation. People really do need to be babysat, and whether that should or shouldn't be necessary is irrelevant. Far too many of the situations discussed in this thread only got to the point they did because the moderation here just isn't where it needs to be for a modern forum as large as this one.

That isn't a criticism of the moderators or the more or less hands off policies they have tried to adhere to over the years. It is a criticism of a community that is no longer mature enough to handle that kind of freedom.

Now I will go have my coffee. :Nerd:

Regards,

Brian Doney