Sign in to follow this  
Wolflikespie

Why are flight simmers so rude to each other?

Gentlemen, keep it civil please. In this topic, something considered rude would be a response like "Okay you need to RTFM for once. Use your brain." Etc.

Actually I remember when I first got into simming proper, that was a relatively short time ago, my first forum was Aerosoft's and there was a guy there who seemed to think he had the right to come down on me for asking the simplest of questions. My reaction was to almost finish with the forum and go elsewhere. It was only by someone sending me a PM and explaining that not everyone acts like that and I should ignore him as he is known for being a complete dickhead. I have returned several times and found him to be a sad individual who seems to be more intent on trying to show how clever he is with his words than he is in helping anyone,

Howard, yes, and we are very familiar with this person. He's been banned from here and found to have created multiple accounts to get around the ban. He's pathetic, to say the least. He's been banned from every major forum that I know of.

While here; if you go to the top right now and use the search function, your first option will be to search AVSIM using Google. You have alternatives. Just click on the Google name and it will give you those. We had this sometime back, and this discussion reminded me to bring it back online.

I feel like most of the problems start when someone asks a question that's been answered before multiple times. Then when someone replies, their reply is usually blunt and straight to the point. Being the internet, blunt can easily be construed as condescending due to the lack of tonality that can be conveyed through pure text. 

Then, someone decides to unleash their anger towards that person for "being rude". From there, it just death spirals into personal attacks.

Personally, I like direct, blunt and to-the-point answers. That's how I want to receive them and that's how I like to give them. 

On another personal note, I do get annoyed when people ask extremely common questions over and over. And I'm sure others do too. The forum would be a much cleaner, nicer place if some people at least attempted to do some of the legwork on their own. 99% of the time you can find an answer faster yourself than waiting for someone to respond. I try to make sure my response isn't offensive, but sometimes it seems like people automatically feel that was the intention. So sometimes I won't respond at all.

I think a lot of others feel the same, which is why some people respond with a short, terse answer like "Read the manual", "Did you look at the first page of the forum?" other similar responses we've become familiar with seeing deteriorate into forum brawls.

The solution is two-fold. First, the responder needs to think about how people may perceive their remarks, and second, some people just need thicker skin and understand not everyone is out to get them.

Also:

Unfortunately, yes, there are some bad apples out there that do seem to make it a point to tear down destroy others for no reason at all. Which, of course, should not be tolerated. They only help further the impression that everyone is a jerk, which makes it easier to assume someone was actually attempting to be difficult and rude.

Title was:"Why are simmers so rude to each other"?

In my simple dictionary; "Rude" = "Impolite". "Coarse". "Vulgar". "Roughly made"!

I skimmed through the over numerous posts and didn't find any specific examples of any of the definitions above.

Being careful to avoid ignoring my dictionary; I will simply say.... "What's it all about Charlie"?

David Wightman

Haha oh goodness. 

I'm probably going to restate the obvious and what is already said but I'll give er a go (since I'm way too lazy to read through 2.5 pages of posts). 

I've never been a part of a forum where there isn't rude people. It's just a forum thing I guess. Everyone has there opinions and are entitled to them. Once behind a keyboard the average Joe's cojones grow up to 3x. 

It's unfortunate because there are a lot of knowledgable pilots (both sim and real life) on Avsim and rude people discourage new members from posting. 

That being said the good people of Avsim do a great job at regulating the rules and enforcing them. I know from experience this is a much more pleasant forum to be a part of than other ones because of these people. Tom Allensworth and the gang are doing a great job, so keep it up! 

In addition, if you are reading this and you have been discouraged to post anything due to being potentially "flamed" don't you worry. There are good people on this site who are VERY knowledgable!

Just my 2 cents on the situation. 

The ways I have managed for so long are

1. I only read posts that inerests me.

2. If I know answers to a an issue and no one has responded I try to help.

3. When  I read amgry confronional posts (quite rare) I ignore it and leave it for the mods to respond. I don't pretend or assume to be a moderator

4. If some folks post nasty reply to my post.. I ignore that person completely.

5. I do not generally respond to disagreeable posts...but occasionaly I respond back without ad hominim attack but maybe sarcastic... Ha HA. I should avoid that as well but what the heck! At least give that one.

IGNORE (bad posts and bad poster)  is the best policy I think

The  Primary reason I am here is for making my FSX world a  lot better

:)

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

You guys should try working in an air traffic control facility. Talk about a bunch of self grandizing prima donnas! The people on this fourm are kittens in comparison. I have to say I have picked up a wealth of knowledge since I have been simming just by scanning these fourms and I am thankfull to AVSIM and the community for it. It is a great hobby and since I dont know anyone else personally who sims this is where I come for hobby fellowship.

Vic green

I don't think in general simmers are rude to each other, i take part in forums on Motorsport and Photography, both of those have the aforementioned "Forum Bull"; in truth they make me smile.  I have also encountered the Aerosoft resident Bull, i asked a question regarding the Katana's engine anti-ice facility / self destruct facility .  Needless to say i was ripped a new one and told to RTFM... In any case, he provided the answer, i just ignored the additional verbal diarrhea.

I still remember my first question on here, i was getting a constant hard bank on approach for no reason (that i could see), the kind members here told me it was probably wake turbulence, perhaps more accurately the FSX broken model of wake turbulence.  I was very grateful for the help. 

Ian R Tyldesley

Off topic, but I want to apologize for responding twice. The first time was right when the forum went down for maintenance. I didn't think it posted, then came back reformulated a response. I was looking through and realized I had 2 difference responses in here.

Feel free to delete the first one. Apologies. 

BTW, It just occurred to me, I really hate it when some guys simply reply with a 'Google it' reply. I've never really got this argument. If you follow this mode of thought then there would be no need for a forum! I always like to think the forum is a bit like having some beers with your mates. I'd be a bit peaved if everytime I asked a question at the bar I was told to go elsewhere and find an answer! Of course some questions can very easily be answered with a quick search, but then again the nature of a forum is to engage with other like minded individuals and ask questions. What one person sees as being a question that has been asked repeatedly, doesn't necessarily mean that same question has been seen asked by the newbie.

Indeed.

One of my friends asked me the other day as we were strolling down the street where a particular pub was.  I could have said "Google it' but it just seemed normal to tell him.  And he was the second person who had asked me that day!!!!  I think I may have also told another person (who knows the first friend) rather than asking him to ask the first friend.

It just seemed the friendly thing to do.

I find that not reading posts that I don't want to read to be a good way to avoid reading things I don't want to read.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Please take this opportunity to remember that the REPORT button is placed at the bottom of every message. If you think that someone is being a "bull", rude, abusive, or similar, click on the REPORT link and tell us. We may not agree with you, and we may not take any action, but the odds are that you are right, and we'll take care of the issue / user. Keep that in mind when you are reading the forum. Abusive behavior is against our Terms of Service and will result in actions against those that do violate that policy.

I would say that people ask questions that have been answered 1000 times before because we are social people who like to engage in social activity. The ones that come down on someone for asking a question are exhibiting anti-social behaviors most likely from repetition because of spending too much time in the forums.

I agree, just ignore the post if you are not willing to help a person out. No one likes a Forum Bull.

There is a good chance a NOOB will get a response from another NOOB if all the so called No-It-All's or Forum Bulls just ignored those type posts, creating an environment for new people to learn from each other, and get to know each other. The moment a Bull tells a NOOB off for not searching or whatever creates a negative environment for people just wanting to engage in a social forum. Shame.

Matthew Kane

I've slightly worried, at times, that voicing my opinion has put me on the uh-oh list. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

My personal POV may be regarded as "brash", but it's just an opinion. I never set out with an agenda to completely trash somebody.

I just have a very upfront and matter-of-fact way of expressing myself, even in daily life. Probably comes from selling/servicing insurance.

I am having a bet each way here.

The Topic Starter by Wolflikespie appears to have struck a chord, judging by the number of posts it has attracted.

In March of last year, I returned to flight simming after an absence of 14 years. Since then, I have been very slowly increasing my knowledge and understanding of FSX and the degree of sophistication with which I am coming to grips with it. However, in terms of FSX maturity and experience, I am probably not much past the toddler stage.

In an effort to learn from other flight simmers, I immediately started to visit and read (but not join or participate in) two or three flight sim sites in addition to Avsim.

My early impression from a read-only involvement in all of them was that on the smaller sites there appeared to be none of the smart alec point-scoring that I was seeing from a very limited number of posters on Avsim.

It was 11 months before I joined Avsim and another 6 months before I made my first post. Why the delay? Despite coming from an occupation where robust debate is par for the course and seemingly being streetwise after over 60 years of life, I felt somewhat intimidated.

My experience has been that, like animal owners, the vast majority of flight simmers are extremely friendly, helpful and sharing people. People who produce and donate the extensive range of freeware programs are testament to that. However, just as there are obnoxious people in our communities, they are found also on forums, It is just that the chances of coming across those few people are much greater in a forum, like Avsim, which has well over 100,000 members than they are in a small forum of members in the hundreds or low thousands.

I accept that seemingly simple or repetitive questions or questions where a little bit of self-help may have found the answer can be frustrating for those already armed with the knowledge but surely the practical approach is (as suggested by other posters)  not to provide a response. It is no excuse for rudeness, lack of courtesy etc.

We have to live with it the best we can and rely on the Moderators to maintain an appropriate balance and standards.

Similar to the modus operandi mentioned by some earlier posters, you get to recognise the people whose conversational/interaction style does not sit comfortably with you. I no longer bother to read their posts.

By contrast, there are members who are fine examples and we would all be improved in our interaction if we could take a leaf out of their book. At the risk of embarrassing him (which I don't want to do) but merely to give a concrete example, from the very first time I visited Avsim firehawk44 stood out in that regard. Jim seemed to me to be very knowledgeable about flight simming and computers, gave clear, helpful and easy to understand and prompt responses and I can't recall a harsh word coming from him. I don't want to paint him as some sort of a Mother Teresa of the Avsim world but he is the type of person who makes the ups and downs of forum use really worthwhile and more than balances out the negative few which some posters.have focused on,