Sign in to follow this  
Scott Miller

Problems with FS2004 after migrating WinXP install on to Win7 sys

Scott, cant say ive ever re installed direct 9 runtimes on my system?

perhaps im also missing something, but as I said mine works perfect

steve

Yeah, I've never had any problems migrating FS2004 to a new system (or new hard drive as I had to do a few years ago when my boot HD went south on me)!  What is happening this time around is simply bazaar!   I was going to paste some screen shots here so you could better see the Problems I'm haing but for some reason I can't (I've done it before so I don't know why I can this time).  I'll have to attach them instead:

The first and second screen shots (or similar screen shots such as #4) appear when I press the A key to access the menu bar. A second press of the A key and this goes away. A third press of the A key and the bogus screen appears for a split second and then the normal view with the menu bar appears.

This one is the screen I see after trying to switch to the TinMouse II panel view.  Pressing the esc key and the subpanels start appearing and disappearing as normal.  A second press of the esc key is required to get the panel and cockpit view keys working again.  This only happens when a TinMouse 737 is first loaded.

The last three here show the old problem showing both a "United States" entry and a "USA" entry which only shows one state when opened.  One shows Indiana selected but Illinois airports.  I need to get rid of the "USA" entry! 

Just tried nVidia Inspector.  Unfortunately, it didn't resolve the Alt key/menu bar screen problem.  I tried both the default MS Flight Simulator 2004 profile and another I came across via Google.  Neither had any effect.  I'm back to square one at this point.

Just to double check I went back and renamed my FS2004 folder to "WINXPFS9" and renamed my windows 7 FS2004 install from "WIN7FS9' back to FS2004.  I then ran FS2004 to confirm that the Alt key problem is NOT unique to my WinXP FS2004 install.  It isn't the Win7 FS2004 has the same problem.

I could just live with this problem since it doesn't appear to affect FS2004, but it would be a constant reminder that FS is doing something that it isn't suppose to be doing.  Unless someone can come up with a way to resolve this problem I'll be going back to my XP system and retiring the Win7 system to the closet (or selling it)...

Scott

Just to clarify did you do a fresh install of FS9, ie load each scenery and aircraft one by one. Takes along time but the way I did it, or did you do it some other way, ie plug in a HD and tranfer over the data. I think if youve done it that way there lies your problems. I could be wrong we need other views from some experts (which Im not)

Steve

Your entry USA and United States could be a AFCAD problem. Check the AFCADS using AFX or ADE to see which is a possible problem. Just a thought

Steve

Steve

In migrating my XP FS2004 install to my Win7 system I basically followed the directions outline in the "Migrating FS9 from XP 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit" thread from this forum.  As part of this, after doing a fresh install of FS2004 and all of non scenery and aircraft addons  like ActiveSky, EFB2004, ISG, Reality XP WX500, EZ-VFR and shockwavelights.  The only aircraft and scenery I reinstalled were payware that I had on CD/DVDROM that were listed on the add/remove software list on my XP system.  I then renamed the fresh install folder (FS2004) to "WIN7FS9" and copied my entire XP FS2004 (including all addon scenery and aircraft, gauges, effects, module, FS2004 scenery and texture folders) from an external drive backup into a new FS2004 folder.  I've done this twice in the past (once when upgrading from XP Home Ed. to XP Pro, and the second when I had to replace my boot HD).  Both times FS2004 run just fine without ANY problems.

Just the same, today, to confirm whether or not what you belief that doing this is the cause of the issues I encountered this time around, I renamed my FS2004 folder back to WINXPFS9 and did a fresh completely install of FS2004 (no addons of any kind installed).  I then ran FS2004, and as I suspected, found that it had the exact same Alt key/menu bar with splashscreen/black screen problem (as per the screen captures I posted yesterday).  This clearly proves that the way I migrated my XP FS2004 install to my new system is NOT the cause of this problem.  At this point, I'm convinced, even though nVidia Inspector didn't resolve the problem (at least not with the settings I tried), that my GTX 650 graphics card is almost certainly the culprit.  That or Windows 7 might be.  Are you using the 32 bit or 64 bit version of Windows 7?  I have the 64 bit version (I didn't know Win 7 was available in a 32 bit version.  I would have asked for it if I had!

Well, I'll try tinkering bit longer with FS2004.  But if I, or anyone else can't think of something else to try soon (like a week or two at the most), I'm going to have to live with the problem (which doesn't seem to affect FS2004's stability or functions) or simply through in the towel and go back to  my XP system and it's single digit frame rate on FS2004 (at least FS2004, along with FS98, 2002, FSX all run like they should on my XP system (haven't actually installed FSX on the new system yet.  If I can't get FS2004 working like it should, I'm not going to waste the time installing FSX)!  I might try switching to the 32 bit version of Windows 7 or check with the folks I got my Windows 7 system from (PC Workshop) to see if I can run XP Pro on my new system (which has an ASRock Z87 Extreme mb, an Intel i5-4670K cpu, and 8gb ram along with the GTX 650 card)  The documentation on the mb only lists Win 7 & 8.

As to the USA entry problem I'm going to have to make all my US addon scenery inactive then activate them one at a time to track down the one that created the USA entry.  At this point, unless its a major addon, I'll probably just delete it rather than go to the  trouble of trying to edit it.  That or just live with it too (as I have for some time).

Thanks for the effort you have put in to trying to help me!  I've really appreciate all the help everyone has tried to give me!

Scott

I'm using w7 64 bit, and before you give up with it I'd uninstall the whole lot and start again.

I wouldn't transfer over anything from a external source which has come from XP but add all scenery and aircraft one at a time using the original install exe. I know this takes along time but it worked for me.

Look up the sadly late, David "opa" Marshall thread on how to install fs9 in W7 .

When I installed mine a year ago I saw the thread your using and (for me) found it to complicated and did not understand it not being very computer literate.

Good luck

Steve

Hi Steve

Well, I'm not *quite* ready to throw in the towel.  Still, I'd be loathe to go back and install every single aircraft and scenery file I've got.  The number of each that I have numbers in the hundreds.  I think Windows 10 would be out before I finished re-installing all my scenery and aircraft (I'm exaggerating here or course, but I don't think by much)!

Yeah, the procedure outlined in the "Migrating FS9..." thread is somewhat involved but I didn't find it excessively so (or I wouldn't have tried it).  Perhaps because it was pretty close to what I had done when upgrading to XP and when I had to replace my boot drive.

I may not have to do it anyway.  I posted a description of my TinMouse II panel problem on the TinMouse forum and just got a response from a gentleman who recommended copying the FS2Audio.dll file into the SysWOW64 folder in Windows (a copy also goes in the System32 folder).  Per a link the gentleman provided,   http://forum.avsim.n...iodll-problems/,  Bob Scott says this has to be done on 64-bit systems.  Anyway, the TinMouse panel loads normally without my having to press the ESC key!  I still get the black screen with the scenery/terrain loading window for a split second though, but, hey, its progress!

Before entertaining any thoughts of throwing in the towel and dragging my XP system out of the closet I thought I'd see if EVGA has a support forum and ask for help there.  I might do the same for my ASRock motherboard.  ASUS makes the ASRock mb.  Perhaps they could help as well (or at least tell me if I can run Windows XP with it.  Resolving the TinMouse panel problem has given me hope that the Alt key problem can be fixed without having resort to following your suggestion or going back to the XP system!