Sign in to follow this  
777simmer

GPU memory size and influence on VAS

Very interesting thread, so am I correct in saying I can go and buy a 780 GTX 4 GIGS and run it on my windows 7 64 bit without causing any issues with VAS (Running DX10 and based on what I just read above)

Regards

Wayne

+1

A very interesting and informative thread!

I hope though it is okay to ask as well:

Does a DX10 user need to worry about what has been mentioned here above if upgrading the graphiccard is being considered?

Cheers, Christoph

+1

A very interesting and informative thread!

I hope though it is okay to ask as well:

Does a DX10 user need to worry about what has been mentioned here above if upgrading the graphiccard is being considered?

Cheers, Christoph

I am not a DX10 user but I am going to say No to that.

GPU memory size has not influence on FSX DX10 mode VAS nor FSX DX9 mode VAS.

Soem DX10 users have reported that VAS is taxed less under DX10 than under DX9 (which is good for you).

However it would be nice if some of the very knowledgeable people in this thread could confirm or unconfirm this.

Rob Robson

There definitely IS a fragmentation problem in FSX, easy to demonstrate - simply allow 4096 textures, load up an airport and/or aircraft that uses 4096 textures

I've no doubt that is the case, but according to the FSX SDK "For Aircraft, texture maps cannot currently exceed 1024x1024 pixels in size..."  Maybe there was a reason for that?

Very interesting thread, so am I correct in saying I can go and buy a 780 GTX 4 GIGS and run it on my windows 7 64 bit without causing any issues with VAS (Running DX10 and based on what I just read above)

Regards

Wayne

Yes...I use a 4GB GTX680 in Win7 x64...no OOM issues here.

Cheers

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

That puts it to bed them.

Graphics memory doesn't count against application VAS. If it did there'd have been no VAS left for FSX.

Will a person with a high end computer hardware run out of VAS at the same rate as someone with a lower end system assuming they run all the same addons and everything else is identical?

I think perhaps this mis-conception is my fault ... because a video card has more VRAM it doesn't take away VAS on a more modern OS (including Windows 32bit).  

Can read more about it here:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366912(v=vs.85).aspx  32bit

and here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa384271(v=vs.85).aspx 64bit

A virtual address does not represent the actual physical location of an object in memory; instead, the system maintains apage table for each process, which is an internal data structure used to translate virtual addresses into their corresponding physical addresses. Each time a thread references an address, the system translates the virtual address to a physical address.

As for fragmentation, look into Hoard or Maged Michael memory allocation implementations.

I am not a DX10 user but I am going to say No to that.

GPU memory size has not influence on FSX DX10 mode VAS nor FSX DX9 mode VAS.

Soem DX10 users have reported that VAS is taxed less under DX10 than under DX9 (which is good for you).

However it would be nice if some of the very knowledgeable people in this thread could confirm or unconfirm this.

Cheers

Thank You both very much for Your replies!

Well then i may seriously consider upgrading my GPU and stay with DX10 as i already do now!

Thank You very much again for the info!

Cheers, Christoph

Thank You both very much for Your replies!

Well then i may seriously consider upgrading my GPU and stay with DX10 as i already do now!

Thank You very much again for the info!

Cheers, Christoph

I am not sure ugrading from a GTX580 to a GTX780 on your CPU will do you much good. (things might even become worse!)

It makes more sence to couple a GTX780 with an (overclocked) i7 4770k

Rob Robson

Can read more about it here

Those links refer to VAS in general - not the way in which a graphics card uses it.

This link is helpful

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/gg487348.aspx

Dedicated graphics memory, as the name suggests, is memory that is available for exclusive use by the graphics subsystem. Non-graphics applications and other subsystems in the operating system cannot access this type of memory. An example of dedicated graphics memory is the memory that is physically present on the “discrete” graphics adapter. This has been commonly referred to as “on-board” or “local video memory”—that is, close to the graphics processing unit (GPU). Dedicated memory, however, isn’t limited to on-board memory. A portion of system memory can also be dedicated to the graphics subsystem. This portion of system memory is never available to other subsystems or applications and is exclusively owned by the graphics subsystem.

Shared system memory is a portion of the system memory that can be used by the graphics subsystem when needed. For discrete graphics adapters, this type of memory is often referred to as “non-local video memory”—that is, far from the GPU. The shared memory is available to other subsystems or non-graphics applications when it is not being used by the graphics subsystem. Thus, it is never guaranteed to be available for graphics because it could already be in use.

I checked the memory used by my 1Gb graphics card and found:

Total Memory 2814 Mb

Dedicated Memory 1024 Mb

System Video Memory 0 Mb

Shared system Memory 1791 Mb

This shows the card isn't taking up any exclusive system memory.

I am not sure ugrading from a GTX580 to a GTX780 on your CPU will do you much good. (things might even become worse!)

It makes more sence to couple a GTX780 with an (overclocked) i7 4770k

Hi Rob!

Thank You very much for Your reply!

The thing is that i consider getting myself a new PC in the next half year, so i am just already starting to gather some information in advance.

I am sorry that i have not made this clearer in the beginning.

The more though again:

Thank You very much for all Your info!

Cheers, Christoph