Sign in to follow this  
Sportsfan23

Ultimate traffic 2 question

What is the advantage of the AI traffic flying a "real route" from airport to airport? How does that effect my flying into and out of airports?

Also I read the program has planes parking anywhere at airports and not at assigned gates. Is there a easy way to fix this?

What is the advantage of the AI traffic flying a "real route" from airport to airport? How does that effect my flying into and out of airports?

It doesn't affect your flying into and out of airports, but since the AI fly realistic routes, rather than from point A to B like .blg based AI/traffic files do, you get to see AI along your route, provided your flying a realistic route. Not to say that you wont see traffic along your route if you use something other than UT2, but say you pick a route from KDFW to KJFK and you fly a published route (not a direct GPS route) that you got from flightaware, then you will likely see other AI in transit to JFK on the same airways as you. 

Also I read the program has planes parking anywhere at airports and not at assigned gates. Is there a easy way to fix this?

Yes you can fix this easily. By default the airports in FSX dont have parking code for airlines. If you buy addon airports the parking codes will be in the new AFCAD provided with the scenery so the airlines will park in the correct spots.

If you dont want to buy addon airports, you can visit the Avsim library and download AFCADs for you favorite airports that include the parking codes for the airlines to park in the correct gates/stands.

Be careful that if you install a lot of freeware AFCADs for a lot of airports, then buy addon sceneries later, you take care to delete or remove the freeware AFCAD for the same airport as the addon  airport you bought. Having multiple AFCADs installed in FSX for the same airport can cause various problems.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

It doesn't affect your flying into and out of airports, but since the AI fly realistic routes, rather than from point A to B like .blg based AI/traffic files do, you get to see AI along your route, provided your flying a realistic route. Not to say that you wont see traffic along your route if you use something other than UT2, but say you pick a route from KDFW to KJFK and you fly a published route (not a direct GPS route) that you got from flightaware, then you will likely see other AI in transit to JFK on the same airways as you.

^^Pretty much that, but I doubt there is much change in areas with very dense airways, such as Western/Central Eruope or the US coasts. There's muhc traffic around you anyway. Where it might have a greater effect are areas like Siberia or transoceanic routes, where airways are sparse (and traffic is in general lower). So here it might help to have realistic routes (given that you fly realistic routes, too), as you are more likely to "meet" other traffic on your airway.

Thank you for the answers. Now another thing I read is that UT2 doesn't have the array of airlines/liveries that other AI programs do. Now is that for some of the smaller lesser known airlines or are there major airlines missing?

Well I think I will mostly be flying out of payware airports so I am glad to know that they will have updated afcads.

Now is that for some of the smaller lesser known airlines or are there major airlines missing?

They aren't missing, they're just disguised as that "Daedalus" airline, at least that's what I remember. However, it seems not to be too difficult to replace those by real world liveries, but depending on how many minor airlines you want to have covered, it might be some time-consuming work. It is possible, though, and from what I've read, it seems quite popular to use the freeware WOAI planes and plans for that.

They aren't missing, they're just disguised as that "Daedalus" airline, at least that's what I remember. However, it seems not to be too difficult to replace those by real world liveries, but depending on how many minor airlines you want to have covered, it might be some time-consuming work. It is possible, though, and from what I've read, it seems quite popular to use the freeware WOAI planes and plans for that.

Yea that is what I read. I am not very concerned about the smaller airlines I just wanted to make sure that most of the major airlines where I would be flying would be represented.

Yea that is what I read. I am not very concerned about the smaller airlines I just wanted to make sure that most of the major airlines where I would be flying would be represented.

What airlines are you referring to and I can check for you.  Some are or are not missing and it really depends on where you are flying as to whether or not an airline might be missing.  More populated regions, such as Europe or the US, will have most of the airlines you're looking for.  Also, it isn't always about if the airline exists; as most airlines do in some form or fashion but there may be specific aircraft models in that airline that aren't there.  For example, the KLM 747-400F GE Engine variant is not in UT2 even though KLM as an airline is (although the B-747-400F GE model is in UT2 there just isn't a texture for the KLM - it is one I'll have to add).

Either way, even if an airline is missing than all you really need to do is find the aircraft model and the texture you're looking for and insert it manually.  It isn't difficult and UT2 makes it easy to assign the textures to the models to have them appear in FSX.

I'm like you - I don't care for every airline but I do want to see the major airlines and their aircraft in.  There is some work to do but it isn't a very big deal.  And I have found that once you start going through to find models and variants it makes you want to do more :lol:

What airlines are you referring to and I can check for you.  Some are or are not missing and it really depends on where you are flying as to whether or not an airline might be missing.  More populated regions, such as Europe or the US, will have most of the airlines you're looking for.  Also, it isn't always about if the airline exists; as most airlines do in some form or fashion but there may be specific aircraft models in that airline that aren't there.  For example, the KLM 747-400F GE Engine variant is not in UT2 even though KLM as an airline is (although the B-747-400F GE model is in UT2 there just isn't a texture for the KLM - it is one I'll have to add).

Either way, even if an airline is missing than all you really need to do is find the aircraft model and the texture you're looking for and insert it manually.  It isn't difficult and UT2 makes it easy to assign the textures to the models to have them appear in FSX.

I'm like you - I don't care for every airline but I do want to see the major airlines and their aircraft in.  There is some work to do but it isn't a very big deal.  And I have found that once you start going through to find models and variants it makes you want to do more :lol:

I don't even know what airlines. Maybe it's better to ask what are the biggest airlines that are missing haha that need to be added? I will be doing most of my flying in the US or Europe so if those regions are covered then that is really all I need.

I don't know what is missing.  I only picked up UT2 a few days ago and I've been flying in Europe (and heading to Asia as we speak) so I haven't been flying around the US to see if there are any missing.  If it is a Legacy or Major than you can rest assured it is most likely in there, or if it isn't than you can bet that someone else has done it and is free for you to download and add.

EDIT: I will add that UT2 only adds 1 engine variant for each aircraft model it includes with the software.  It isn't too much of a big deal unless you are a stickler for things like that, and if you are you can always add additional variants manually - you go download a free aircraft model with the corresponding engine variant and paint you want, and ta-da.  There are freeware AI models, engine variants and paints all over the place.

Here is a list of the aircraft models and their engine variant that is included with UT2:

73G  -  737-700  -  non-winglet version
73H  -  737-800  -  winglet version
73J  -  737-900  -  winglet version
73K  -  737-500v2  -  winglet version
73L  -  737-300v2  -  winglet version
73S  -  737-200
73W  -  737-700  -  winglet version
74D  -  747-300  -  PW
74E  -  747-400  -  GE
74X  -  747-200  -  PW
74Y  -  747-400f  -  GE
75W  -  757-200  -  RR  -  winglet version
100  -  Fokker 100
733  -  737-300v2  -  non-winglet version
734  -  737-400v2  -  non-winglet version
735  -  737-500v2  -  non-winglet version
738  -  non-winglet version
739  -  non-winglet version
741  -  747-200  -  PW
742  -  PW
743  -  PW
744  -  GE
752  -  RR  -  non-winglet version
753  -  RR
762  -  GE
763  -  GE
D8F  -  DC-8 all Freighters
D93  -  DC-9-30
D95  -  DC-9-50
E70  -  Embraer 170
E75  -  Embraer 175
E90  -  Embraer 190
E95  -  Embraer 195
EM2  -  Embraer 120
F70  -  Fokker 70
M80
M87
M90
T20  -  Tupolev Tu-204 / Tu-214  -  PS90
310  -  GE
332  -  RR
333  -  RR
AB6  -  300-600  -  GE
DH1  -  DHC-8-100**
DH2  -  DHC-8-200**
DH3  -  DHC-8-300
DH4  -  DHC-8-400
S20  -  Saab 2000
SF3  -  Saab SF340A/B
772  -  RR
773  -  RR
318  -  CFM
319  -  CFM
320  -  CFM
321  -  CFM
J31  -  Jetstream 31
J41  -  Jetstream 41
SWM  -  Fairchild Metroliner

I will add that UT2 only adds 1 engine variant for each aircraft model it includes with the software.

Seems like a pretty impressive list of planes. By that you mean airlines only have 1 engine type and that is it even if there fleet uses different ones on some planes?

Seems like a pretty impressive list of planes. By that you mean airlines only have 1 engine type and that is it even if there fleet uses different ones on some planes?

You have to look at it as the aircraft models not being airline specific.  The aircraft models are created for UT2 and then those models are assigned to those airlines that fly that aircraft (and the associated texture for the airline).  So, for example, UT2 includes the B747-400 GE engine; so for the airlines that fly the GE version that airline may or may not even be included (as said above the major ones are) but if an airline doesn't fly the B744 GE but they do fly the B744 RR (like British Airways does) than the British Airways 744 RR either A) won't be included in UT2 (and can be added manually) or 2) a British Airways 744 will be included but it will be the GE variant of the 744.

Honestly a lot of people can't tell the difference, so it really depends if you are ADD about aircraft having the exact proper engine configuration models when you are at an airport where that aircraft even flies to.  If you're taxiing around Heathrow looking for a 744 RR in UT2 you won't find one (unless you added it manually, of course).  Freeware developers even create models that are included in UT2 but they create their models with much more detail, so you can also incorporate those into UT2 and overwrite the default UT2 models if you want even more detail (also keeping in mind that the more detail your AI has the more performance will be demanded of your PC - it's all a balance as to what you are personally satisfied with).  AI can really be done however you want - it is only a matter of how much time you want to put into it.  And we haven't even touched on having the most up to date Flightplans for all the airlines :P

Honestly a lot of people can't tell the difference, so it really depends if you are ADD about aircraft having the exact proper engine configuration models when you are at an airport where that aircraft even flies to.

I honestly had no idea the airplanes came with different engine configurations so I don't think I ever even paid attention to that. If I did decide to add planes or airlines are the plane files in the avsim library or other sources?

Also is there a manual somewhere of how to do this? I might try one just to see if I can do it but I doubt I will be trying to overhaul a ton of them or add a bunch.

Greg is doing a super job detailing the benefits of UT2.   I have touched upon a lot of the more advanced options in UT2 in another recent thread here, if you haven't checked it out already, it's at http://forum.avsim.net/topic/419396-lets-go-ai-native/

UT2 is the most full featured, yet user friendly, of the traffic programs for FSX.   I believe it's the only program with accurate flight schedules for the world's airlines, because while other programs may have more airlines, you will find those airlines at airports they do not serve in the real world.   IMHO, FSX is about "as real as it gets", and I cannot justify using any other payware AI program.   UT2 also has the best looking models and paints, and they are based on the same models used by a freeware program that the majority of FSX and FS9 simmers love: World of AI.   

Payware AFCADs are more often than not fine out of the box, ready to accommodate realistic levels of AI and having them park at the appropriate gates, and you can easily find AFCADs for any major airport in the freeware libraries like here at AVSIM.  So if you want minimum fuss but a very plausible AI representation in your skies, UT2 is the way to go.   And if you want to delve further into the art of AI, UT2 offers plenty of flexibility to customize the traffic to suit your needs.

• Upvote 2

UT2 is the most full featured, yet user friendly, of the traffic programs for FSX.

It does appear that way. That thread was helpful but I read the RJ145 and those series of planes are not in this program. Is there a way to add those?

It does appear that way. That thread was helpful but I read the RJ145 and those series of planes are not in this program. Is there a way to add those?

Yes you can add whatever models & paints the program is missing through UT2 user interface and UT2 power pack programs.