Sign in to follow this  
Q_flyer

Airline simmers: your flying ........ real of fictional?

If I want to fly from destination X to C then I check out airport X on wikipedia, and if any airline flies from airport X to dest. C then I click on the airline and open their wiki.

I go directly to the fleet and check out what airplanes they fly. Oh great, they have the 737? Time for NGX.  They only have the A330-200 & the Embraer 195? To bad, don't have these planes so I wont do the flight.  After that I check on flightaware which airplane they fly with.. If it's the plane I want to fly with or not does not matter to much, as long as I don't fly the NGX on a A330 flight.

And after that I look for the livery of the airline.

Also, if I REALLY want to fly to the destination I can go with a 'special charter' by the Charter airlines of my country (Would be Tuifly Nordic or Thomas Cook scandinavia etc.)

If i'm in a über-realistic mood then it will get even more complicated.  Say I want to fly from Stockholm - Tirana. Step 1: Fly to, say Munich with maybe Norwegian Air Shuttle. Step 2: Switch to a lufthansa Cityline Embraer. Step 3: Fly to Tirana, Lufthansa Cityline have this flight so i'm ok with it :) Why? There's no airline that flies Stockholm - Tirana

I may be abit.....picky with how I fly...

Overview:

http://www.departedflights.com/

The exact flight is then determined by paint and AFX file availability.

Although I have to admit that it's kind of weird seeing your flight in AI form depart immediately after or before you.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

For some reason, when I fly, all the flights have to be real routes, with the actual aircraft, with the right time. I have idea why... It just buggs me.. Lol.

I also can't ever fly a night time route when it's daytime, or visa versa.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Although I have to admit that it's kind of weird seeing your flight in AI form depart immediately after or before you.

I agree that is weird and somewhat annoying.  I have had that with World of AI traffic - at least it proves it's pretty accurate.  Of course, although it's flying point to point, the damn thing may well be pretty close all along the route so you have the added annoyance of ATC conversing with it all the way!

ngxu_banner.png

I agree that is weird and somewhat annoying.  I have had that with World of AI traffic - at least it proves it's pretty accurate.  Of course, although it's flying point to point, the damn thing may well be pretty close all along the route so you have the added annoyance of ATC conversing with it all the way!

It is annoying, you need something like "Super Traffic Board" and with a click of the mouse you can cancel the AI flight, literately.

http://forum.simflight.com/forum/119-flying-w-simulation/

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I try to fly RW liveries on RW routes for my VA (Air Jamaica Virtual Airlines) but with the operations of Air Jamaica being folded into Caribbean Airlines, my VA is starting to take liberties with planes and routes. For example, we fly the 777 on some RW Air Jamaica routes (MKJP to KJFK) as well as fictitious routes (MKJP to PANC). It keeps things interesting for us.

Real world BA livery and call sign..speedbird, except on the MJQ400 and Twotter...no BA livery, i have to use BMI on both..boo.

Fictional routes, largely because i like to fly from Manchester and BA only fly to London from here.

Ian R Tyldesley

The Va I fly with (VPA) are at the "extreme" level of realism working out UTC time, real schedules , Airlines and flight numbers, correct FL's = metric for china etc etc

There is also a button that needs punching every hour to prove your flying.

Initially didn't like it much at first but now thrive on it especially the feedback on flight reports. 

only as real as gets for me or I lose interest very quickly

Hi Zoran, 

I am sure you know this "high realism" is just one of the options at VPA (for which you'll get the most points). However you can choose any RW airline you want.

There is just complete opposite option you can use - fly whatever you want wherever you want.

This is what I like about VPA - you can choose what suits you best.

Regards

Jan

I mostly pick a departure and destination on the fly and go with it. With my real world flying, It's all random depending where the VIP needs to go. I like it that way as it keeps me on my toes and requires good planning when flying to places we rarely go.

I also fly rw routes with the right liveries and the airplanes flying to or from the airports. It has to be as real as it is in real life. When I prepare my route I first search at wiki which airplanes fly in or out the airports I use for my flightplan. Than I choose the right livery for the ngx or the 777 wich I fly most. And don't forget the ai planes. They are just as important for me that they have the most up to date liveries as in the real world. I use UTII and I always search for the latest livery updates. It is some form of addiction for me. lol

========================

HAPPY FLYING

Raymond

As someone who enjoys realistic procedures but who IRL generally isn't happy as the employee of large, rule-bound organizations, I tend to cast myself in the role of charter or aid-flight or some other form of nonprofit pilot.  That means plenty of freedom when it comes to city pairs and also equipment (including some pretty sketchy hand-me-downs).  It also means I'm able to throw a usually short flight together whenever my tight real-life schedule allows.  I do like to stick to realistic routings, though, and generally turn to Flight Aware and similar sites to see what routes are actually in use.  

I think flying for a VA that is modeled after real world operations is great even if it the VA itself is fictitious. I just started flying for Intercity Virtual and the destinations make sense.

( I.e. EGBB to EHAM in the Dash 8), along with a prescribed time for departure and arrival.

For the actual routes, I try to follow the real world routes as found on say

Route finder. Then I try to research the correct SID and STAR to use.

Sometimes this works out, sometimes I am left scratching my head! But it's a lot of fun so far.

Also, I try to use real world weather and the real world time when possible too.

But then again, real world time in FSX is not always possible unless you want to get up at 2 AM to see what Australia looks like during the day.

B.

Nice topic.

I fly mainly the NGX in Air Dominicana colors out of Santo Domingo MDSD. I simulate what it would have been if it ever took off in real life. I fly around the Caribbean, Central America, South America and the Eastern part of the US. Unfortunately Air Dominicana never made it off the ground in the RW. If I had the time and knowledge I would make it into a VA, but I don't know squat about websites or stuff like that. I use FsPax with both Spanish and English safety announcements and of course FS2Crew ;)

Reik Namreg

Most of my flying is with my virtual airline, PVA, and could be considered very close in line with real schedules (they have around 700 airlines to choose from with schedules from fall of 2012). Occasionally, I will fly a route that has been discontinued or with an airline that is no longer in service (Northwest, for example), but I always try to stick to 'believable' routes. For example, I would not fly a Delta A320 from Denver to Atlantic City, or a KLM 747 from Amsterdam to London. The only exception to this rule is when I am getting the hang of a new plane, as I like to keep my first few familiarization flights short (if I ever get the PMDG 777, for example, I may fly it from LA to SFO or something).  

I'm not sure how many of you read PC Pilot magazine, but in the most recent article they reviewed the PMDG T7 on a flight from LHR-SFO with an Air Canada aircraft. That irked me somewhat, as it would have been more realistic to use a United or BA aircraft.