Sign in to follow this  
flash828

Monitor views?

Getting back in to FSX. I have a 23” wide screen LG monitor I use. I also have a few extra 15”  in the closet. Because of the large desk I have, the monitor sits about 3’ from my seat. As I get older the little numbers in the gauges are harder to read. Although I would love to use the extra 15” for front and side view I think a (much) larger screen would work good too. Any thoughts??

Thanks

Generating additional Windows for views will affect the simulation performance...

Are you talking about expanding the view and using the screens as a single screen?

Ian R Tyldesley

Hi. If I went with a larger screen I would keep just the one view. If I went with the 19" I would have one front and one side. Don't want to buy additional hardware to hook up more than 2. Something else I guess to consider is I currently use full screen with the highest setting. I think I would have to use window view for more than one.

I meant 19" in previous post

I went from a 22" LG monitor to a 27" Samsung monitor (1920x1080) and love the effect.

Bert

I've tried a range of different setups involving multiple 24" monitors in various configurations and by themselves, along with a 42" HDTV.  Currently I'm using a 23" touchscreen as my simming monitor, but I do have my windows desktop extended across it and two 24's.

The point already made about multiple views being hard on framerates is very true - but you'll find that to stretch your full screen view across multiple monitors, you'll need monitors close to the same size and resolution.  You'll also face a bit of a performance drop as you increase the effective resolution of your screen - i.e. 3 monitors at 1920 x 1080 gives you a 5760 x 1080 resolution, which can decrease framerates as well.

Personally, I've been quite happy as on late with a 23" touchscreen on an Ergotrom arm; it lets me position the monitor in one of three spots: Just behind my yoke in my little home cockpit that's attached to the side of my desk, beside my two 24" regular lcd monitors as part of my windows desktop, or swiveled to the very front edge of my desk for use with a hotas joystick and throttle attached to my chair for military jets and helicopter flying.  Although it'd be perfect if it was a 27", I wouldn't get the same degree of flexibility that the moveable arm gives me.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I use a Samsung27 and an old 17 for guages. I honestly do not see any difference in framerates by just using the 27.

It's not increasing the monitor size that affects performance, it's increasing the resolution.  I run at 5760x1080 across 3 27" monitors (Eyefinity).  It does have a fairly significant hit, i would still go down this route than running 3 monitors with separate window views.

Ian R Tyldesley

Thanks again!

I have slowing been shopping for 27” monitors. Big price jump when you go over that. Pardon my ignorance but how do I have one screen just for the gauges? Also, I did experiment with two screens, had to stretch out the windowed view which distorted the angle of view. Like I was sitting sideways in the cockpit seat. (BTW, I also use Track IR)

Thanks again!

I have slowing been shopping for 27” monitors. Big price jump when you go over that. Pardon my ignorance but how do I have one screen just for the gauges? Also, I did experiment with two screens, had to stretch out the windowed view which distorted the angle of view. Like I was sitting sideways in the cockpit seat. (BTW, I also use Track IR)

You can create a window with the gauges you want in view, and move it to a second monitor.. here an example of a tablet displaying the six-pack..

Bert