Sign in to follow this  
Alec

How well is X-Plane getting along with newer AMD Radeon GPUs?

So, I plan on updating my GPU soon. I have been a Nvidia user for a long time, but the newer Radeon R9 290 crushes a standard 780GTX asking 100 dollars less! So I just might consider going to the red side of the force.

My question is for those with AMD Radeon cards. How good, or bad, is  X-Plane and AMD Drivers working together? I have the impression it must run fine, since I believe many X-Plane developers use Mac as their main PCs, and most MAC come with AMD cards.

Thanks!

Alexis Mefano

I had a thread not too long ago about trying to find pictures from nvidia users at 1920x1080 because I was struggling with AA/shimmering issues.

But to be clear, these issues are more apparent when using the 42" screen and are probably not so much of an issue on a smaller screen.

I use a 7970 so it's not the newest card around anymore, about on pay with the new 280 I believe but certainly behind the 290.

Other than that I find no performance issues that worry me.  I have used the card to drive 4 screens at ~ 4000x2000 and had got anywhere from about 22-50+ fps.

Now I run a single screen and am happily getting near 40+ frames with a lot of high settings.    

I can't tell you how that compares to nvidia but performance wise I dont think that they are lagging anymore in xplane but the only thing I am not convinced about is that they are on par with nvidia on the quality of AA.  I would love to have a later nvidia card to test against.

I had a thread not too long ago about trying to find pictures from nvidia users at 1920x1080 because I was struggling with AA/shimmering issues.

But to be clear, these issues are more apparent when using the 42" screen and are probably not so much of an issue on a smaller screen.

I use a 7970 so it's not the newest card around anymore, about on pay with the new 280 I believe but certainly behind the 290.

Other than that I find no performance issues that worry me. I have used the card to drive 4 screens at ~ 4000x2000 and had got anywhere from about 22-50+ fps.

Now I run a single screen and am happily getting near 40+ frames with a lot of high settings.

I can't tell you how that compares to nvidia but performance wise I dont think that they are lagging anymore in xplane but the only thing I am not convinced about is that they are on par with nvidia on the quality of AA. I would love to have a later nvidia card to test against.

I gets lots of shimmering in HDR. I am using a GTX 480 and a Dell 30" monitor.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

I have tried all kinds of settings and the only thing that brought it right was HDR with max settings in AA which iwas something ike 8xssaa + fxaa but the thing is my frames then dive to 18-22 which I consider to low to be enjoyable.

The lower settings don't fix the issua a lot but then when I jump to the highest, bang, it looks fixed.

I know nvidia has always had better AA than AMD which is why I am wondering if I will get better PQ with lower settings on nvidia..  I have no idea though.

Hey,

When I googled some info about AMD and XP10 I found some problem reports with the drivers of AMD that decreased the FPS majoarly when cloud are rendered.

Is this problem still happens for some body?

Im asking because im looking forward to buy a new PC,BTW with windows OS...

Well, thanks guys. I get the idea AMD vs Nvidia doesn't affect X-Plane much, like happens on games.

About HDR and AA in X-Plane, my GTX670 didn't do that fine either, that's something X-Plane still can improve in my opinion, nothing to do with the graphic card.

Alexis Mefano

Although my ATI card is anything but new "AMD Radeon HD 6750M", X-Plane does not run well at all on it, whilst FSX runs really well. I gave up trying to use HDR on it, as it was a huge performance hog.

I also have a second computer with a similar specced Nvidia card, and the performance is better and I can use HDR. However, enabling any sort of weather cripples it. IMO, and after seeing other posts around, NVidia cards seem to simply work better with X-Plane.

When I googled some info about AMD and XP10 I found some problem reports with the drivers of AMD that decreased the FPS majoarly when cloud are rendered.

Not just AMD, happens on my NVIDIA card as well