Sign in to follow this  
Gwhaarmann

Saving Panel State in FMC

2nd try!!

After loading flight info into FMC and setting up panel I triead to Save the panel state, it indicates it is loading however it doesn'e appear. Any suggestions??

George Haarmann

KPHX

Drum & Bugle Corps Fan

George,

"I triead to Save the panel state, it indicates it is loading however it doesn'e appear"

Are you saving or loading a panel state?

Did you do a screenshot?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

George,

If you are running under Windows 7, or Vista, and you have FSX installed to the default location, then you will need to run FSX as Administrator, otherwise the panel state won't save.

Kevin O'Connell

Kevin O'Connell

also have uac  turned off as well

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Just to shine light on the last two posts here.

You can:

1. Disable UAC and not worry about the issue for the most part; or
  2. Run FSX as an administrator to sidestep UAC.  Granting admin rights (full control) to your FSX folders wouldn't hurt, either.

Either way, if you're running Win7/Vista, FSX won't have the permissions to permanently save data until you do one of the above, and will cause the issues you're seeing.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks for the answers

1.  I AM trying to save a panel state

2. What is UAC

3.  How do I get to change/check the administrator ( Win 7) issue

Pardon for my lack of knowledge

George Haarmann

KPHX

Drum & Bugle Corps Fan

George,

"2. What is UAC

3.  How do I get to change/check the administrator ( Win 7) issue

Pardon for my lack of knowledge"

Have you searched the internet or these forums for Win 7 setup information?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

1.  I AM trying to save a panel state

Again, without doing what I mentioned, you will not be able to permanently save information in Flight Sim.  It will "save" it, but as soon as you quit FS, the temporary folder FS saved all of its data in gets trashed.  The next time you run FS, it's like nothing ever happened.

2. What is UAC

User Account Control - a google search would bring up tons and tons of articles about it, but I'll repost my standard stuff here:

To grant yourself admin rights to your folders, navigate to the Microsoft Games folder on your drive and:

Right click on the Flight Simulator X folder:

Select Properties

Select the Security tab at the top

Click on the Users account in the Group box

In the Permissions box, check the box Full Control

Click OK

This grants you (a User - Tron reference?) and the programs you use in that folder admin rights to the folder. Essentially, what is happening is the computer is writing the changes (your key assignments) to a 'ghost' (Compatibility Files) folder, which the PMDG Options panel ignores the next time you run it. Using admin rights writes those changes to the actual file, not a file in a 'ghost' folder. As a quick note, if you have problems with any other program (especially when it comes to settings not saving, etc), you should grant admin rights to the program's location first before trying other things. UAC has its place in Windows, but it ends up being a bear if you don't know how to keep it in check.

In order to run FS as an admin, right click the FSX logo and select properties.  In the window that pops up, go to the Compatibility tab and check the box "Run as Admin."  The program will now open as an admin when you use that shortcut to open it.

Pardon for my lack of knowledge

Can't have it until someone gives it to you or you know where to look - no worries!

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle,

Thanks MUCH for your explanation. Took me to where I've never been before.

Still doesn't solve the issue though .......I can get panel states that have been saved to open and show up on Rte/Legs page  however I still can't seem to SAVE a flt.

George Haarmann

KPHX

Drum & Bugle Corps Fan

Thanks MUCH for your explanation.

Welcome.

...but now I'm confused:

I can get panel states that have been saved to open and show up on Rte/Legs page

Panel states don't show up on your RTE/LEGS page.  They show up on the PMDG SETUP page to load cold and dark, and switch positions and all that.

The info the shows up on your RTE/LEGS page are saved routes (or COROUTES - which you've posted about in another thread).

Perhaps a read through the intro manual would really help, based on the questions here and in the other thread.

Saving flights needs to be done through FSX directly.

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle,

I didn't mean to confuse you ( I'm confused enough) .

Your explaination about UAC etc is the best I've seen yet. Thank you again.

I think I have narrowed my situation down to the fact that prior to FSX AND NGX I have been used to FS9. I got quite used to all its features. Actually when FSX came out I really didn't like it and continued with FS9. When FSX/NGX appeared I really tried getting into it because of all the features that NGX has.  MY problem is that I was getting FS9 and FSX/NGX confused thinking that where one feature worked in one would work with the other.

NOW I realize that I have to pay attention to the program I am using.

Thanks again to ALL that responded for your help

George Haarmann

KPHX

Drum & Bugle Corps Fan

Your explaination about UAC etc is the best I've seen yet. Thank you again.

You're welcome.  I know it wasn't your intention, but it seemed like terms and features were getting confused, so I wasn't sure what you were thinking you were referring to, thus the last post.

NOW I realize that I have to pay attention to the program I am using.
Thanks again to ALL that responded for your help

haha - always a good start!  Post if you continue to see issues.

Kyle Rodgers