Hi all,

I'm curious about the performance I am getting with my setup. I have a new laptop. It is a Toshiba Satellite P75-A7200.

The specs are located here:  http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Toshiba-Satellite-P75-A7200-Notebook.103741.0.html

:: Processor
:: Mainboard
Intel HM86 (Lynx Point)
:: Memory
8192 MB, DDR3-1600 MHz
:: Graphics adapter
Intel HD Graphics 4600, Core: 400 - 1150 MHz, 9.18.10.3107
1792MB available graphics memory (in system settings)
:: Display
17.3 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel, AUO209D, TN LED, glossy: yes
:: Harddisk
HGST Travelstar 5K1000 HTS541075A9E680, 750 GB 5400 rpm

It seems based on these specs I would have a good consistent high frame rate but when I am landing at an airport, my framerate drops down to 10fps or below with the default rendering options. I have dropped the number of objects and roads down to "a lot" and it still gets pretty jerky when landing.

any ideas or tips on how to improve this? overall it isn't too bad but I would like it better of course if I could keep my framerate above 20 all the time if possible (without having to sacrifice much)..
Thanks,

-Tavis

Could you post your full settings?

If you have HDR on that should be first to go...

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

If scotchegg's suggestion doesn't work, there is a button near the bottom of the rendering settings page to start from scratch.  Click that and raise the bars slowly, restarting to check between each.

John

John Wingold

It's pretty much the default settings except for number of objects is down a notch but I have tried a lot of settings. I can get it to be good but i have to sacrifice a lot.

I am just surprised I can't run with the default settings and be good to go on a brand new laptop like this one with plenty of vram and 2.4ghz cpu speed.

settings attached:

The specs on that page say your laptop only has the integrated Intel HD 4600 graphics, which is still only roughly equivalent to a discrete nVidia GT 630M. Unfortunately, both are very far down the list of GPU performance benchmarks, scoring about 600 and 750 respectively on videocardbenchmark.net. Even low-end desktop GPUs from 2-3 years ago, like the GT440, will easily outperform it.

I'm sorry to say, but just because it's a brand new laptop, doesn't mean it's capable of running X-Plane with anywhere near decent settings.

You'll also want some sort of manual fan control to force the fans to full speed when running XP10. Running XP10 on my own 2012 laptop with Intel HD4000, it can easily spike my i5's temperature to to above 100°C before fans catch up and bring it down to 90C; forcing fans to full means it only gets to about 85C. With most settings turned down I could get 15-20 fps.

I eventually custom-built a desktop PC for X-Plane.

Ah ok, I don't know much about PC's.. Mostly mac bough I bought this mainly for software development but now it has turned into a flightsim box :)

So if I crank up the fans I will get a boost in frame rate? Do you know of a fan control I could download?

I am averaging around 25-49fps normally, just when I land in KSFO or KSAN it gets choppy on the approach because of all the buildings and the airport etc..

Fans won't boost your frame rate, it'll just keep your components from overheating. Actually it *might* give a small boost, since the CPU/GPU may throttle itself to a lower speed when temperatures get too high, but I wouldn't count on much improvement in framerate.

I haven't used any 3rd party fan control utilities for Windows (my laptop is a Mac, the PC tower remains cool enough so it doesn't need manual fan control) so I can't recommend one

Try lowering "World detail distance" to medium, also based on you laptop's gpu specs, clouds should be set to minimum.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Fans won't boost your frame rate, it'll just keep your components from overheating. Actually it *might* give a small boost, since the CPU/GPU may throttle itself to a lower speed when temperatures get too high, but I wouldn't count on much improvement in framerate.

I haven't used any 3rd party fan control utilities for Windows (my laptop is a Mac, the PC tower remains cool enough so it doesn't need manual fan control) so I can't recommend one

A good one for mac (other than smcfancontrol) is Fan Control. It lets you set a fan speed curve based on temperature so it will slow down when the laptop cools down automatically. https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23137/fan-control

Try lowering "World detail distance" to medium, also based on you laptop's gpu specs, clouds should be set to minimum.

Thanks I will give that a try

Funny that this topic would come up again at this time.  I was flying with a computer (desktop) with one of the i-5 processors (several years old - dual core), 8 GB DRAM, and a GTX 560 OC display.  My framerates were ranging from 25 to 30 depending on where things were set (15 or so with HDR).  I found an online site offering a "Gaming Computer" which was equiped with a Gen 4 i7-4770, 16 GB DRAM and a GT640 processor with 4GB of onboard ram.  Sounded good and the price was reasonable.  When I got it (intending to install my GTX 560 OC on it) I found that the 300 Amp Power Supply was not upgradable because of a proprietory motherboard and connection port.  There was not enough power and no way to install a standard power supply.  I went out and bought a case and a LGA 1150 socket motherboard and installed the i7 from the one I bought, upgraded the so-so 16 GB DRAM with some 1600 DRAM I had bought some time ago for the board I had (and it wouldn't work) and reinstalled my (now powered) GTX 560 OC.  I had saved my X-Plane 10 folder and restarted on the same runway where I had last shut down with 36-37 FPS.  My FRs were now 80-81!  I installed nVidia Inspector and used Jcomm's settings and my FRs went down to the 50s.  Went back in and disabled the changes, and I was back to the 80s.  I have now upped some of my settings (distance, number of objects, texture resolution, etc.) and I am riding in the 60s.  Short story ... it really helps to have a machine which balances everything.

Note - I did not name any provider or name the manufactured computer on purpose..  The provider only offered an exchange.  I had noticed that they didn't elaborate on the components except the basics, so I should have smelled a rat, but with some more money (still a good deal after some worry) I have a great machine.

John

John Wingold