Sign in to follow this  
Appliance

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidescreen in FS9?

Simmers ... although I personally operate with a TripleHead2Go outfit I am curious as to whether any of you are using (or have seen used) FS9 on the 21:9 ultrawide 29" monitors typically available from ASUS, Dell and LG and which run at 2560 x 1080 resolution.

Any comments welcomed.

I've had a hi-res Dell for years: not quite as many iii's as the 21:9 you describe :) it runs at 1920 x 1200 (effectively a "14.4:9").

I do like the extra vertical pixels it gives, and it looks absolutely brilliant.

2D gauges are stretched of course, but strangely this has never bothered me

Because the eye naturally covers a 16:9 aspect, I added a smaller Dell: 1280x1024 and sometimes spill FS9 onto it.

This creates effectively a 24:9 vista which is more than I feel a need for.

(Mostly it is there to catch emails and unrelated stuff).

I've never thought of going extra-wide because you can only focus on the middle bit at any one time!

And if you need to look around, TrackIR is at the ready.

I think that the distortion on the sides ruined it for me in the end.   I started with th2go and 3x24" 16:10 screens.   Then I moved to 3x42"screens.  It gave me more wrap around coverage but the distortion at the sides was pretty awful.

I ended up configuring my sims so that only half of the outer screens were used.

The thing that gives us the bad distortion is the wide aspect ratio.  So when you go for a wider aspect like you do with the ultra wide screens then the distortion will be worse at the sides.

To counter this somewhat I went to portrait-landscape-portrait.  Three monitors but the overall aspect ratio was much more like a single screen.   This worked well, it gave the wrap around immersion but not so much of the ugly distortion that you dont want to look at.

I always use trackir, I dont use the sides so much to see things but more as an immersion factor.

A little while ago I tried things with just a single monitor and turned off the others.  It felt like I had tunnel vision but the frame rates were so much better I lived with it.   It didnt take long for it to feel natural again and the feeling of tunnel vision has gone.   

I was never restricted in my view because of tunnel vision because with TIR I only looked at the center anyway - it was just the peripheral I was missing.

So now I have gone full circle.  I appreciate the extra frames and things are fine but if I didnt have a 42" screen then I would still have triples on a smaller screen.   I only get away with a single screen because it is so large and I sit fairly close to it.

Thanks for your comments guys.

There is no way I would tolerate distorted gauges and I don't suffer from that with my TripleHead2Go setup. I guess one could alter the panel cfg's to suit but I have so many payware aircraft ... a chore I can do without.

It's only 2D cockpit gauges that stretch - how does the TH2G setup handle them?

I used to use Eyefinity with three 22" monitors. And while I did enjoy a little more immersion, I didn't feel it was worth the cost in framerates.