Sign in to follow this  
Brenchen

RealAir Turbine Duke or Piston Duke V2?

Hi all,

I currently have the piston duke v2 and thoroughly enjoying it (when I said thoroughly it means immensely).  I thought about also acquiring he turbine duke because it looks like the piston duke but slightly different.

But since I already have the piston duke, and I'm not a GA nut, is there much reason to also acquire the turbine duke?  Does the quality of the turbine duke match that of the piston?  Or there really isn't anything different, and rather save the money for a different aircraft type from either RA or other high quality developers?

Thanks for advices.

Cheers 

Brendan Chen

Learning to use and getting use to FSX!

Unless you need the short take off distance of the Turbine Duke you really don't need it. It's a bit different to fly a turbine aircraft, but the piston Duke has turbo charged engines and their performance isn't that much different once you are airborne. In real life the differences are much bigger than you wille xperience them in the sim. The v2 of the piston Duke is my all time favourite FSX aircraft, and I don't fly the Turbine Duke anymore.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Thanks for your opinion, exactly what I was thinking and looking for.  I think I'll hold off the purchase for something else.

Brendan Chen

I wouldn't give up that easily hehe. The turbine yields incredible climb rates. So if you intend to fly a longer / higher flight the turbine is what you want.

That, and the short stopping distance of the turbine.

Obviously piston v2 is better graphically (turbine came out what 3 years ago?)... But the turbine is much better than v1 piston.

I like them both!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I have them both also like Ryan but they redid the piston Duke and man what a difference, if your not too much in a hurry cause I have a feeling they are most likely gonna redo the Turbine also .

I have them both also like Ryan but they redid the piston Duke and man what a difference, if your not too much in a hurry cause I have a feeling they are most likely gonna redo the Turbine also .

I really can't wait for that. Bought some other aircraft via Flight1 (luckily) and I'm seriously thinking of returning them. They just feel dead. Oh well, I'm a new simmer, so you learn as you go.

The Turbine is no longer on my system.

If you want a fun airplane, get the Legacy instead!

Bert

I also have both Dukes and they are different airplanes and therefore different add ons for FSX.  Ryan called your attention to the performance gains but the Turbines are not for everyone.

You already know about the v2 Piston B60 performance in FSX and therefore how excited the FS community has reacted.  I would venture a guess that we will have a v2 Turbine Duke one day and we will all go gaga over its release.

I would guess the unannounced v2 of the Turbine Duke would also garner a lot of attention, especially the crowd that prefers performance.  I mean super performance - really short runway requirements.

Ray

EDIT  It seems Bert was typing at exactly the same time I was writing my blurb.  I agree with him, the Legacy is a great choice, and fast.  Remember, the Legacy was the first one with all the shakes, rattles and rolls that were added to the existing piston Duke.

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

On the topic of realism.  I got alabeo's PA38 because no one else made one and its the aircraft I spent most time on in RL.  Since I didn't fly in RL for nearly 10 years, I kind of lost that feeling of what it was like flying it.  I went up the other day, flew it for a bit and came back down some 30 min later.

Went out and loaded up the PA38.  Boy how it differed!  It's way too smooth to be a PA38, so that put me off a bit.

I see.  The 3 GA prop I have in my hanger currently is the Piston Duke v2, A2A C172 and the PA38.  PA38 I've got to have it as that's the only option.  C172 is too real to be a "fun" plane.  It's a trainer, and trainer only to me.  The only "fun" plane that is of a great quality is the duke and I flew around the alps with it.  Absolutely marvelously stunning and great fun flying hands on.

I still genuinely love my big gets, but that's a different story.  The main big jets/liners I operate is NGX, PMDG777 and the Q400.  I start to like the Q400 more as I see it too often where I am, and I like the hands on aspect of it.

So llooking for thrill of GA or half GA half not, I'll check out legacy.

One last thing (getting a little off topic), any good business jets around that is of A2A, RL (duke v2), PMDG type quality that you could suggest?  I haven't ventured into that part yet.

Brendan Chen

I'm a piston GA guy, through and through and I expect in time that the new B60 will probably become my most flown plane.  And yet... the Turbine Duke is currently my third most flown plane, and if you factor out a plane I'm not flying much anymore, it's number two.

Yes, the piston and turbine Duke are the same airframe but they fly and are managed very differently and are both fun in their own ways.  They're the same plane - but they're not.  Major differences (besides how you manage the engines) are short field performance (takeoff and landing), climb rate and flight profile.

I wouldn't want to be without either of them.

Scott

Look for a Cessna Citations review here at Avsim for info on the 'not so current' crop of high end FSX business jets.

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

You don't have the Legacy?! That's still my favorite plane of all time!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

You don't have the Legacy?! That's still my favorite plane of all time!

Never crossed my mind to get the legacy, it's a bit of an alien aircraft to me...

I have heard of the citation, and had been googling trying to find something of a good high end bizjet.  However, most of the returns I get is quite outdated.  So I guess this question should be asked at a regular interval to make sure we don't miss any potential good releases ;)

Brendan Chen

The Turbine is no longer on my system.

If you want a fun airplane, get the Legacy instead!

Yup, the B60 and the LEG2 are my favorites now. Luckily, that thing has speedbrakes as it just doesn't want to slow down! :D

You really can't go wrong with any RealAir aircraft..... even the old SF260 is still an absolute blast to fly.

But the Duke B60 2.0, Legacy and Turbine Duke are the real stars of the show;  I'd recommend them all.