Sign in to follow this  
FL630

Multiple Object error

Hi,

This randomly and suddenly appeared a few days back for no real reason. 

"There are multiple objects with the same title name. They must have unique title names.

Maule M7 260C

SimObjects\Airplanes\Maule_M7_260C"

This is the standard FSX Maule I gather, I have not intalled any new textures or modified it in any way. If I open \Airplanes there is only one Maule_M7_260C (plus a separate ski one). If I go into \airplanes\Maule_M7_260C there are no duplicated texture files.

Any ideas how I can get rid of this very irritating error?

Thans

FL630

Look at the aircraft.cfg, probably there are two entires with identical title= names for some reason. Make sure every entry has its own title name. 

Thanks FScamp, I assumed this but, maybe I'm blind, but I can't see any duplicates?

[fltsim.0]
title= Maule M7 260C paint1
sim=Maule_M7_260C
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=1
kb_checklists=MauleM7260C_check
kb_reference=MauleM7260C_ref
atc_id=N72163
ui_manufacturer="Maule"
ui_type="Orion"
ui_variation=" White, Red, Gray"
ui_typerole="Single Engine Prop"
ui_createdby="Microsoft Corporation"
description="Maules are rugged and simple. These traits, along with their short-takeoff-or-landing capability, make them popular among bush pilots. The Maule M-7-260C is a taildragger with spring-aluminum landing gear and a wide stance, suitable for taking off from and landing on rough, unprepared surfaces. Its 260-horsepower Lycoming engine provides power to transport up to five people at a relatively fast cruise speed. Ease of handling (with the usual caveats about landing taildraggers in a crosswind) and economical operation round out this plane’s sturdy virtues. The ski option adds to the 260C’s versatility."

[fltsim.1]
title= Maule M7 260C paint2
sim=Maule_M7_260C
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=2
atc_id=HB-MEV
ui_manufacturer="Maule"
ui_type="Orion"
ui_variation=" Swiss"
description="Maules are rugged and simple. These traits, along with their short-takeoff-or-landing capability, make them popular among bush pilots. The Maule M-7-260C is a taildragger with spring-aluminum landing gear and a wide stance, suitable for taking off from and landing on rough, unprepared surfaces. Its 260-horsepower Lycoming engine provides power to transport up to five people at a relatively fast cruise speed. Ease of handling (with the usual caveats about landing taildraggers in a crosswind) and economical operation round out this plane’s sturdy virtues. The ski option adds to the 260C’s versatility."

[fltsim.2]
title= Maule M7 260C paint3
sim=Maule_M7_260C
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=3
atc_id=N221CP
ui_manufacturer="Maule"
ui_type="Orion"
ui_variation=" Civil Air Patrol"

[fltsim.3]
title= Maule M7 260C paint4
sim=Maule_M7_260C
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=4
atc_id=N81868
ui_manufacturer="Maule"
ui_type="Orion"
ui_variation=" Blue, Silver"

[fltsim.4]
title= Maule M7 260C paint5
sim=Maule_M7_260C
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=5
atc_id=N86DMA
ui_manufacturer="Maule"
ui_type="Orion"
ui_variation=" Alaskan Operator"

[fltsim.5]
title= Maule M7 260C
sim=Maule_M7_260C
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=
atc_id=EC-527
ui_manufacturer="Maule"
ui_type="Orion"
ui_variation=" White"

What do you think?

Thanks
FL630

Note that the duplicate could be anywhere.

Have you added any planes or repaints recently?

Do you see the message every time you start the sim?

Most likely you added a texture set for a plane that the painter copied his aircraft.cfg section from the Maule and forgot to change the title= line.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

[...]

Most likely you added a texture set for a plane that the painter copied his aircraft.cfg section from the Maule and forgot to change the title= line.

First of all, wouldn't that just cause the new repaint not to appear, but all the others, which are not affected by that entry would display normally?

Second, the OP said that he did not install any repaints recently, so that shouldn't be the cause.

To the OP: Did you stopped checking right after the [fltsim.5] entry, or did you look through the whole aircraft.cfg? I have seen it happen that some (automated) installation processes add their repaint sections somewhere else, e.g in the end - although that shouldn't have happened, since you said you haven't installed any addons.

Make sure you don't have a duplicate Maule folder somewhere, also if you have installed any new addon aircraft lately try check their aircraft.cfg files for that title...

First of all, wouldn't that just cause the new repaint not to appear, but all the others, which are not affected by that entry would display normally?

FSX throws a warning when you have multiple [fltsim.nn] sections with the same title= line, which is what the OP is seeing.

They do not have to be in the same aircraft.cfg, they can be anywhere.

And yes. the second to load would not be displayed in the aircraft selection screen, which is a moot point anyway because if the plane in question is an AI it won't show up anyway.

Second, the OP said that he did not install any repaints recently, so that shouldn't be the cause.

I read it as he hadn't added any repaints to the Maule. It could have been a repaint added to any plane as long as it has the same title= line.

As the warning is pointing to the Maule folder, and the Maule aircraft.cfg looks fine, the offender will be in a folder above the Maule when looking at Windows Explorer, assuming the folders are in alphabetical order.

Although the offender can just as equally be in another folder that loads before...\SimObjects\Airplanes, assuming that is where the Maule is.

regards,

Joe

sigbar.gif

Thanks for the replies all. 

As the warning is pointing to the Maule folder, and the Maule aircraft.cfg looks fine, the offender will be in a folder above the Maule when looking at Windows Explorer, assuming the folders are in alphabetical order.

Unfortunately that is 121 folders to search through. I'm a serial freeware downloader so there is a lot that had been installed since this error occurred.

Do you see the message every time you start the sim?

Affirm, plus every time I select a new aircraft

Plenty of aircraft, no repaints installed.

To the OP: Did you stopped checking right after the [fltsim.5] entry, or did you look through the whole aircraft.cfg? I have seen it happen that some (automated) installation processes add their repaint sections somewhere else, e.g in the end - although that shouldn't have happened, since you said you haven't installed any addons.

No duplicates in that file, checked through.

It's half tempting to un-installed the Maule, I don't often fly it but I'd rather keep it in there for stock FSX missions when I get bored. Am I right in saying the only alternative is to check every other .cfg file for a Maule duplicate?

Thanks

Ian

It's half tempting to un-installed the Maule, I don't often fly it but I'd rather keep it in there for stock FSX missions when I get bored. Am I right in saying the only alternative is to check every other .cfg file for a Maule duplicate?

Assuming that Joe's right with what he posted above - and I have no reason not to believe him - you could simply rename the Maule's aircraft.cfg e.g. to Maule.cfg (which is equal to uninstalling to FSX), and see if you still get the error message, or if it's gone. If it's gone, the culprit is most likely the Maule, if the message does not go away, you might want to take a look at the "neighbouring" folders in the SimObjects/Airplanes directory.

Also, doesn't FlusiFix have an option to scan for issues in the aircraft.cfg? I might check on that.

Interesting, I've just renamed aircraft.cfg to aircraft1.cfg, naturally the Maule has disappeared, but so has the error! So, what would this indicate? An error within the Maule's Aircraft.cfg file?

Did you check the names of the Ski version and the ones of the normal version? Since those are two separate aircarft.cfgs, there might be a problem with those two.

Yes, all checked, nothing abnormal.

I think for the moment I'll just leave the Maule's .cfg edited by name. If, on the rare occasion, I want to fly it, I'll just re-rename it and fly, or just use the ski version.

Many thanks

Ian

After re-reading my above post, I'm not sure if it's really clear what I meant: My idea was to look if one of the ski-equipped Maules accidentaly has the same title as the same livery on the no-ski version - just to eliminate a possible misunderstanding.

Otherwise, if you're fine with not having the Maule in there, your option is a good one, too.

A relatively quick way to find the culprit would be to...

Disable the default maule

Create an AI flightplan that calls that title= line that will have the plane sitting at an airport for a long time. Use the WEEK type of flightplan and an airport that does not get much traffic.

Go to the airport and see what shows up.

regards,

Joe

sigbar.gif