Sign in to follow this  
jimimac

I5 4670k or i7 4770k

First time build so need some advice, I can only afford the nvidia 770 card but don't know whether to use the i5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 or the i7 4770 overclocked to 4.4 or keep the overclock at 4.2 the motherboard will be the asus z87-k, thanks in advance for any advice.

Jim

thank you,Jim

Asus Prime Z270-P| I7700k@4.6| 16gDDR4 3000 VengLpx|

Corsair H115aio Cooler| Evga GeForce 1080gpu|Corsair Rm750

The only benefit to FSX that the i7 has is the extra cache. For a 50% higher price I can't see it being worth the few fps.

Also, the i7 has hyperthreading, which FSX does not use.  If you have other apps that benefit from HT, by all means go for it, but I believe HT and extra cache are what i7 has going for it vs i5.   I think the i7 may overclock better, because it uses a higher quality bin of chips.  Full disclosure, I chose the i7 over the i5.

Can you turn off hyperthreading if so I will get the i7 and just overclock to 4.2 just going to use a good air cooler

Thanks,jim

thank you,Jim

Asus Prime Z270-P| I7700k@4.6| 16gDDR4 3000 VengLpx|

Corsair H115aio Cooler| Evga GeForce 1080gpu|Corsair Rm750

Hyperthreading is absolutely useless to FSX, and in fact, makes the cpu run hotter.   Unless you have an application or game that benefits from it, you just shut it off in the BIOS.

If you were not aware of it already, I highly recommend you read the FSX software and hardware guide http://forum.avsim.net/files/file/1-fsx-hardware-software-guide/   It will help you optimize your hardware and software when you setup the new system, and offers useful tips such the advice to disable Hyperthreading.