Sign in to follow this  
ronnie.d

ATC Landing Instructions

One of the worst real life wrecks in the western US happened kind of like what you described.   An MD-80 ran over a Cessna while in the landing pattern because of bad airspace procedures at the time.  The MD-80 went down in flames into a suburban neighborhood, killing everyone on board.  The Cessna student pilot and instructor were obliterated.

PSA 182 in San Diego or Aeromexico 498 in Cerritos? Because if it was PSA 182, it was a 727, not an MD-80, and if it was Aeromexico 498, it was a Piper, and I don't think it was a student pilot in that one.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

PSA 182 in San Diego or Aeromexico 498 in Cerritos? Because if it was PSA 182, it was a 727, not an MD-80, and if it was Aeromexico 498, it was a Piper, and I don't think it was a student pilot in that one.

PSA 182 which is a 727.    Dang those T-Tails all looking the same to me!

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

In addition you may not overtake an aircraft in front of you.

What were my options then as I couldn't go any slower than I was? Turn left/right? But in that case I could have ran into patterned traffic!

AISmooth greatly reduces the amount of incursions on approach, but it still happens from time to time. I use Ultimate Traffic 2 (UT2) for my traffic, which has a function to zap traffic, if they get in my way, which is what I do in the event AISmooth didn't work. (I believe if you have the registered version of FSUIPC, there is a similar function, but I never tried it.)

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I guess I'd tell ATC that the guy in front of me is too slow, and that I need to either get in front of him (if that is actually possible, but I doubt that) or I have to go around.

Hi Florian. Thanks for your detail response but unfortunately by the time I noticed the Cessna in front of me I had no time to contact tower and obtain further instructions….I was slightly below the Cessna as well so increasing altitude to go around wasn't an option at that stage…so I went with my instinct. 

Thanks for your detail response but unfortunately by the time I noticed the Cessna in front of me I had no time to contact tower and obtain further instructions.

That was a misunderstanding, it's impossible with default ATC to get further info in such a situation, they don't even give traffic alerts on approach. My reply was only what I think should be done in real life, in FSX your only option would have been to hit TOGA power and announce your go-around after that. However, since you say that you were actually below the traffic ahead of you, this obviously wasn't really an option either. I guess someone didn't concentrate, there :wink2:.

That poor Cessna pilot... T_T    RIP.    I am sure your wake turbulence by buzz flying him on final ended his career with a whirl wind crash you speed demon!       If this were real and I survived.  I would make it my goal in life to track down the ATC and the pilot of the Boeing and give them a serious talking to about not buzzing little prop jobs.

One of the worst real life wrecks in the western US happened kind of like what you described.   An MD-80 ran over a Cessna while in the landing pattern because of bad airspace procedures at the time.  The MD-80 went down in flames into a suburban neighborhood, killing everyone on board.  The Cessna student pilot and instructor were obliterated.

As for FSX, it happens.   I get AI traffic up in my face all the time when I am trying to land and have clearance.    Just last night I was cleared to land on Runway 08 at KABQ and at the same time Tower gave a King Air permission to takeoff... from the opposite end of the runway,  @_@   He buzzed me by a hundred feet as I was trying to stop down the runway.   Had to change my underpants.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:……………...

Man….thanks for bringing in some humour into this. After a long and hard working flight this is the last thing you want to ruin your virtual career. I know there's few suggestions  above but how can I avoid this in future? I use Ultimate Traffic 2….

When did this MD-80 incident happened? Is there an Air Crash Investigation episode for that? 

I guess if by chance you have a parallel runway you could side-step to the other runway. I think in real life, this is often used by ATC. Correct?

Not sure about real life Rick but EGNT has no parallel runways. 

Not sure about real life Rick but EGNT has no parallel runways.

Yeah I was really only referring to when there are. Sorry didn't mean to high jack your thread.

Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

AISmooth greatly reduces the amount of incursions on approach, but it still happens from time to time. I use Ultimate Traffic 2 (UT2) for my traffic, which has a function to zap traffic, if they get in my way, which is what I do in the event AISmooth didn't work. (I believe if you have the registered version of FSUIPC, there is a similar function, but I never tried it.)

Unfortunately I was using UT2 as well but obviously it didn't work for me that well :(

Unfortunately I was using UT2 as well but obviously it didn't work for me that well :(

Ctrl/Shift-A and that Cessna would just Poof out of existence, making you number 1 for landing!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Ctrl/Shift-A and that Cessna would just Poof out of existence, making you number 1 for landing!!

:lol: Best answer ever!

When did this MD-80 incident happened? Is there an Air Crash Investigation episode for that? 

It was actually a 727, not an MD-80, that he's talking about, as we later clarified in another post, but it was PSA 182 that happened in 1978, and I think there's an episode of that on Air Crash Investigation.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

It was actually a 727, not an MD-80, that he's talking about, as we later clarified in another post, but it was PSA 182 that happened in 1978, and I think there's an episode of that on Air Crash Investigation.

Cheers Kevin. Yes I did notice that later, can you send me the link for ACI if you can find it on youtube.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:……………...

Man….thanks for bringing in some humour into this. After a long and hard working flight this is the last thing you want to ruin your virtual career. I know there's few suggestions  above but how can I avoid this in future? I use Ultimate Traffic 2….

It was a Boeing 727, not an MD-80.  It was PSA Flight 182 over San Diego.  I believe there is in fact one but if not I actually saw a video that was an hour long called The Worlds 10 Most Dangerous Airports.      San Diego made the cut because of that crash.

That is such an horrible but iconic pictures of PSA 182 going down.   That wing just could not sustain lift with that level of damage.  :(  RIP.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy