Sign in to follow this  
raymar

RIVET JOINT - first UK delivery of RC-135 intelligence gathering plane

I'm not sure the exact meaning of Rivet Joint, but the Air Force has given certain nicknames to its RC-135 platforms since day one around 50 years ago. These nicknames progress as the AF does modifications every few so many years.  Prior to being called Rivet Joint, I believe it was called Rivet Card.  Rivet Joints deploy around the world on a frequent basis to austere locations since their intelligence gathering is probably the best out there and it's darn near real time.  I've seen a few in action before and the security around them while parked on the flightline is pretty significant as these birds might be worth more than the gold at Fort Knox!

There are also RC-135 Platforms using Cobra Ball and Combat Sent nicknames which are used in more unique types of of intelligence missions.  Oldies but goodies as most if not all fly with CFM-56 engines replacing the old blow out your eardrum J57's

Chris Sunseri

I'm not sure the exact meaning of Rivet Joint, but the Air Force has given certain nicknames to its RC-135 platforms since day one around 50 years ago. These nicknames progress as the AF does modifications every few so many years.  Prior to being called Rivet Joint, I believe it was called Rivet Card.  Rivet Joints deploy around the world on a frequent basis to austere locations since their intelligence gathering is probably the best out there and it's darn near real time.  I've seen a few in action before and the security around them while parked on the flightline is pretty significant as these birds might be worth more than the gold at Fort Knox!

There are also RC-135 Platforms using Cobra Ball and Combat Sent nicknames which are used in more unique types of of intelligence missions.  Oldies but goodies as most if not all fly with CFM-56 engines replacing the old blow out your eardrum J57's

Thanks for the info.  I did a prior search but was not able to find any references to the naming history or convention.  I did see at Wiki a paragraph about Rivet Stand, Rivet Quick, Rivet Dandy, Rivet Amber and Cobra Jaw among many others

I also noticed some of the actual aircraft names - Junk Yard Dog, Rapture, Jungle Assassin, Sniper, Problem Child - and such.  Sounds like  they are deep undercover and have been there for a very long time.

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .