Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

My experiences with the EVGA 780Ti 3GB (vs 670FTW) and 5760x1200

Doing some more generic flying with the 780ti and still in 4xSupersample mode..

The 737-800 NGX at Toulouse addon airport in the dark is clocking in around 22 fps.. switch to daytime with some clouds (with breaks).. getting around 17-22 as well (int frame lock here).. I havent run this same area under the 670 FTW 2GB to compare (as of yet)

EDIT: restarted the sim, this time the numbers went up.. now at least in the day test i'm 22-29 fps.. very acceptable.. occasional micro studders with locked internal mode, nothing too bad.. if i use external lock the numbers go up slightly.

GPU load hit 99% while memory load is at 2321MB out of the 3GB (bufferpools=0).. GPU temp hit 79C with a fan speed of 74%. According to what I read the throttle point on the 780ti is 83C while the Titan and 780 is 80C. Most benchmark tests done by independent reviews seem to show a peak of 82C

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

Thanks for the update - Are you still running - FTX, GEX, FS Global 2010, UTX?

Rob

"Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it"

Doing some more generic flying with the 780ti and still in 4xSupersample mode..

The 737-800 NGX at Toulouse addon airport in the dark is clocking in around 22 fps.. switch to daytime with some clouds (with breaks).. getting around 17-22 as well (int frame lock here).. I havent run this same area under the 670 FTW 2GB to compare (as of yet)

EDIT: restarted the sim, this time the numbers went up.. now at least in the day test i'm 22-29 fps.. very acceptable.. occasional micro studders with locked internal mode, nothing too bad.. if i use external lock the numbers go up slightly.

GPU load hit 99% while memory load is at 2321MB out of the 3GB (bufferpools=0).. GPU temp hit 79C with a fan speed of 74%. According to what I read the throttle point on the 780ti is 83C while the Titan and 780 is 80C. Most benchmark tests done by independent reviews seem to show a peak of 82C

Thanks for the update - Are you still running - FTX, GEX, FS Global 2010, UTX?

Yep.. see just now post.. the fps jumped up.. not sure what i did besides restart things.. looking good with this test anyway :)

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

Some updated news on my testing..

I opted to try the same tests on Windows 7.. just to see if there was any change.. i found an increase of about 1.2 fps in Windows 7, but that could have been due to a number of factors.. plus my 7 box is a full blown image of FSX.. so i'd call it a wash.

I ran more tests.. this time comparing all 3 cards (780 FTW as well).. summary again.. my 670FTW is basically almost the same as as a 680 at least in PCB terms and overclocking by the factory..  I tried internal vs external locking.. for me it seemed like external had less micro pauses and about 0.5 fps faster on average.

Bare Win 8.1 minimal FSX install, int locked at 30/DX10-5760x1200; LOD 7.5; 2048 (see full config in first post)

Test Cloud AA

4xSGSS 670FTW:   8.56 

4xSGSS 780FTW:   9.21

4xSGSS 780TiSC:  11.03  (10.75 with rex and full blown win 8 image of fsx with several addons, 10.78 if set to unlim frames)

Test Cloud AA

4xSS  670FTW:  20.80 

4xSS 780FTW:   26.61

4xSS 780TiSC:        29.26   (28.70 with rex and full blown win 8 image of fsx with several addons, 29.11 with NI external lock at 30)

Performance Drain 

4xSS 670FTW:   21.67  (full win 8, fsx install with rex etc)

4xSS 780FTW:   NA (didnt run yet)

4xSS 780TiSC:        NA (didnt run yet)

For another test i tested the NYCX addon, which i cant really get above 13 fps no matter WHICH card i use, when close to the city (and no matter how much i tweak the complexity/ag).. i set throttle to full on the tecnam p92 eaglet and did a 25 second timing test when approaching the downtown zoo area from a short distance away (high scattered clouds):

4xSS 670FTW:  12.52 

4xSS 780FTW:   NA (didnt test)

4xSS 780tiSC:    12.60

As you can see even with a $400 more video card such as the 780ti.. it cant add much of a benefit in this situation at least..  There should be some situations where having that horsepower can help, but its my opinion with FSX being so CPU bound, 90% of the time there may be no benefit.. though i have some scenarios to test.

A bit of a bummer.. hoping that the 780ti would churn out 5760x1200 a bit better in all cases, but so far not the case.. the AA cloud test does show a 10 fps gain, but thats a more rare instance I believe.  I tried some other scenarios.. like the previously mentioned France test with the NGX.. couldn't see a huge difference between the 670 and 780ti.. maybe 4-5 fps if that.

I'm going to try some more scenarios to see for sure.. but so far.. it seems if your card is a 670/680.. its pretty beefy as is.. especially if you use lower resolutions.. my needs are for high resolution, since i have the 24's.. so that makes it harder and more demanding and shows less of a benefit with the 780ti.. lower that resolution its a whole other story.

The 780ti could prove useful with Prepar3D v2.0 down the road, so it may be worth holding onto.

Worth noting but I do run the EVGA Precision software during testing.. trying to keep the 670 and 780 at 70C or less to prevent throttling and the 780ti at 83C or less all using the fan/temperature curve settings.

Here were my 3dmark11 Performance scores for each (at 4.6ghz i7 2600k), the 780ti wasn't immensely higher.. i've seen some web reviews with numbers around 13,500, mine didnt get that high even with my OC'd cpu for some reason (update:  my board is the p8p67 which is pcie 2.0, the card is rated at 3.0 which may or may not bring the numbers down a tad, the 780ti fill rate is 210 GT/sec so even with 3.0 only a 4% improvement in 3dmark11):

670FTW: P8685

780FTW: P12074

780Ti:      P12813

It could prove an interesting experiment to get another 2GB 670FTW and see how it performs on these same tests in SLI mode with my resolution.  Some SLI scores i've seen on the web are in the 14,680 realm with SLI, which would be higher at least 3dmark11 wise than the 780ti.

Thanks for the updates buddy!

My new 780 Classified just arrived with three new 27" monitors - Ahhh the office smells of new computer equipment - love it!

Not hooked anything up yet going to wait until I turn my current work project over late tomorrow before messing around in the box. Priorities ya know.

Sounds like the new Asus Black is at Newegg and shipping. I plan to give it a month (na I will fold in a couple of weeks) then time to update my processor (i7-4930K) and MB.

I am getting the new gear mainly for work but it will be interesting to see what all of the new hardware does in FSX.

Going to OC the 780 in a couple of weeks once I am sure the GPU is good. Nice to be back to Nvidia again.

Again thanks for the testing updates reps added. Makes for a great read while I waited.

Rob

Worth noting but I do run the EVGA Precision software during testing.. trying to keep the 670 and 780 at 70C or less to prevent throttling and the 780ti at 83C or less all using the fan/temperature curve settings.

Don't hold the 780 back to a lower temperature like 70C, by doing that you're likely limiting the performance it's going to give you in the sim and not letting it stretch it's legs so to speak.

If you're letting the 780ti max out at it's throttle point of 83C, then let the 670 and 780 go to their throttle points too so you can get a more fair and accurate representation of the results. Otherwise your results may be skewed.

Hell, you can let the 780 run up to 90-95C if you're keen on overclocking. Not suggesting you do this though. lol. If I'm overclocking my 780 I set my temp target at about 84C and have no throttling whatsoever.

Just my 2c.

Also, don't forget about fan profiles. These can impact things too. If you make a change on one card, make the same change on the other.

Thanks for the updates buddy!

My new 780 Classified just arrived with three new 27" monitors - Ahhh the office smells of new computer equipment - love it!

Not hooked anything up yet going to wait until I turn my current work project over late tomorrow before messing around in the box. Priorities ya know.

Sounds like the new Asus Black is at Newegg and shipping. I plan to give it a month (na I will fold in a couple of weeks) then time to update my processor (i7-4930K) and MB.

I am getting the new gear mainly for work but it will be interesting to see what all of the new hardware does in FSX.

Going to OC the 780 in a couple of weeks once I am sure the GPU is good. Nice to be back to Nvidia again.

Again thanks for the testing updates reps added. Makes for a great read while I waited.

Wow, that sounds like a fantastic build, with 27" screens x 3 to boot.. amazing!

I'd be real curious to see how your 2600k at 4.6 going to the 6 core works out.. technically if you overclock that 6 core its Passmark CPUMarks should surpass the i7-2600k easily.. however i wonder if that would really matter for FSX.. since it just likes raw power to power the fsx.exe process.. all things held equal (same video card) i'd be real curious.. because i was considering switching to ivy bridge or haswell and going to a better proc one day soon.

Yeah I think your 780 Classified will do fine.

Happy building! :)

Don't hold the 780 back to a lower temperature like 70C, by doing that you're likely limiting the performance it's going to give you in the sim and not letting it stretch it's legs so to speak.

If you're letting the 780ti max out at it's throttle point of 83C, then let the 670 and 780 go to their throttle points too so you can get a more fair and accurate representation of the results. Otherwise your results may be skewed.

Hell, you can let the 780 run up to 90-95C if you're keen on overclocking. Not suggesting you do this though. lol. If I'm overclocking my 780 I set my temp target at about 84C and have no throttling whatsoever.

Just my 2c.

Also, don't forget about fan profiles. These can impact things too. If you make a change on one card, make the same change on the other.

Gave it a shot and in both cases my numbers were about the same.. still.. point taken :)

I've tried OC'n video cards and even the 670FTW before.. never saw a real change in fps for fsx anyway.

Gave it a shot and in both cases my numbers were about the same.. still.. point taken :)

I've tried OC'n video cards and even the 670FTW before.. never saw a real change in fps for fsx anyway.

I just recently tried overclocking my 780 and in testing the average FPS in FSX increased by about 2FPS. So whilst not mind blowing it can make a difference, and the little 1-2FPS from here, there and everywhere all add up.

This was tested using the FSXMark11 test flight plan with the average calculated based on the last 4 flights out of 5 flights conducted (the first flight you load in FSX will always have lower FPS due to tecture loading etc, so this result gets discarded)

Yes it will be interesting build. I mainly want to watch the six processors chew through rending on 3d, video, and geo-data processing.

I have to say the 27s are a bit of overkill now that I have them all here. It is a super wide span. They span over 6 feet. So much so that maybe TrackIr would not even be necessary.  I kinda like overkill in everything I do.

Anthony that is interesting and that you pump out a couple of extra fps from adjust a few numbers in the setting- that is well worth it. I see you have 2 780s I hope to do that too after the new year. Upgrading the MB to a 3.0 PCI I hope will help bottlenecks.

Looks like Newegg is out of stock now on the Blacks.

Rob

Yes it will be interesting build. I mainly want to watch the six processors chew through rending on 3d, video, and geo-data processing.

I have to say the 27s are a bit of overkill now that I have them all here. It is a super wide span. They span over 6 feet. So much so that maybe TrackIr would not even be necessary.  I kinda like overkill in everything I do.

Anthony that is interesting and that you pump out a couple of extra fps from adjust a few numbers in the setting- that is well worth it. I see you have 2 780s I hope to do that too after the new year. Upgrading the MB to a 3.0 PCI I hope will help bottlenecks.

Looks like Newegg is out of stock now on the Blacks.

Have you considered Haswell for the cpu.. ie: the i7-4770K.. sure in passmark it has 2,000 less points, but many here say it gives you better fps at $200 less.. just curious if you looked into this.. Rumor is that late 2014 there will be an 8 core haswell cpu (and 6).. yeah fsx doesnt really care about multiple cores, but wow the power and for other applications too:)

On PCIe2.0 vs 3.0.. for instance, my 780ti.. its fill rate is  210 GT/sec.. while the rate of the pipe for 2.0 is 80 GT/sec for a 16 lane slot in each direction.. the transfer rate for 3.0 is 128 GT/sec.. so my card would, I think, still be sending too much info for the pipe to fully use.. however.. 80 vs 128 is around 38% improvement.. i'm beginning to envy either an Ivy or Haswell.

Which cpu cooling will you use.. i use the self contained corsair cooler as of now.. it works ok, not the best though.

I'm also waiting for the commercial version of the Oculus Rift goggles.. they could prove interesting if they work well with FSX.

Actually you inspired me to configure a new rig..

I may get this in the next month :)  

Cpu:  i7-4770k $319

MB3: asus z87-pro $199 

RAM: Use my existing 1600mhz c9 gskill for now, opt for 2400 later

Cooler: H110 280mm $117 35dba (existing corsair h60 is 31.5)

(sell old stuff, cost of new, around $329 net win )

I've read that 5 ghz on an i7-2600k is equivalent to say 4.5 ghz on the i7-4770k (i'm of course at 4.6, plus gain 3.0 pcie)

Whoops I hope I have not cost you money..... Naa I know once we make up our minds there is no turning back.

That looks like a really nice setup my friend and will serve you well for years. I know my 2600 has. That price is great! I might just keep my current system as an additional computer. With renders taking 6+ hours it will be nice to free up one (fast) computer for comms and work. I have a couple of other slower i7s.

Haswell will not fit into my work flow. While most would never use all six cores (or 12 with HT) my work does. Just like if I disable HT my rendering slows way down. The software I use makes use of as many cores as I can throw at it....but Xeon processors are out of my budget.

Funny I started this month fully intending to get the new MB (black) and processor but had 2 monitors blow in 2 weeks so that made me have to buy the new card (thank goodness) and three new monitors to have all of the same res since I had 1-26" and 2-22" before.

I too use the Corsair loop wc but fully intend to drop in a better system after the first of the year.

Hey wanna see the sickest wc build I have ever seen? I have the Corsair 800D but it is nothing like this. Check this out:

Corsair%20800D%2012x.jpg

Brings a tear to your eye doesn't it. Lol

Rob

Whoops I hope I have not cost you money..... Naa I know once we make up our minds there is no turning back.

That looks like a really nice setup my friend and will serve you well for years. I know my 2600 has. That price is great! I might just keep my current system as an additional computer. With renders taking 6+ hours it will be nice to free up one (fast) computer for comms and work. I have a couple of other slower i7s.

Haswell will not fit into my work flow. While most would never use all six cores (or 12 with HT) my work does. Just like if I disable HT my rendering slows way down. The software I use makes use of as many cores as I can throw at it....but Xeon processors are out of my budget.

Funny I started this month fully intending to get the new MB (black) and processor but had 2 monitors blow in 2 weeks so that made me have to buy the new card (thank goodness) and three new monitors to have all of the same res since I had 1-26" and 2-22" before.

I too use the Corsair loop wc but fully intend to drop in a better system after the first of the year.

Hey wanna see the sickest wc build I have ever seen? I have the Corsair 800D but it is nothing like this. Check this out:

Corsair%20800D%2012x.jpg

Brings a tear to your eye doesn't it. Lol

That is pretty wild.. like something out of a sci-fi movie :)

I can understand the need for extra threads for rendering.. i was so happy when i went from an 920 cpu to my 2600k, rendering was greatly reduced for standard home movies and edits.. simple consumer edits anyway.. made things easier..

The H110 or even H100 corsair coolers arent going to work in my thermaltake VA8000BWS case... i really dont want to switch cases.. looks like ill have to find a single fan/radiator solution that can still work well for say 4.5 on the 4770k.. bummed..

Rob do you have a link to the full details of this setup?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.