Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

My experiences with the EVGA 780Ti 3GB (vs 670FTW) and 5760x1200

I used Word Not Allowed's AA Cloud test to compare performance on both the 670 and the 780ti with either 4xSupersampling or 4xSGSS (sparse grid super sampling). All tests were in DX10 mode with the latest dx10 fixes.

Just so you don't feel too bad, Word Not Allowed ran those tests on his 2560x1440 monitor.

That is about 3.7 megapixels compared to your 6.9, almost twice as many.

gb.

You bet and it is amazing to see the development.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=224731

Great, thanks,

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Just so you don't feel too bad, Word Not Allowed ran those tests on his 2560x1440 monitor.

That is about 3.7 megapixels compared to your 6.9, almost twice as many.

gb.

Great, thanks,

gb.

Thanks for the vote of confidence..

Btw.. i7-4770k vs i7-2600k.. at first I was thinking I'd see a bit of a jump, maybe 5-8 fps increase.. now i'm not so sure.. this may warrant some more research, but this thread shows a chart that shows no real change in fps given various Ghz settings:

http://oldfokkers.myfunforum.org/archive/intel-core-i7-4770k-vs-core-i7-2600k-gaming-performance__o_t__t_2380.html

I was about to hit submit on my haswell order.. but in a holding pattern  :lol:

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

Just FYI, my 4.5Ghz 4770K is yielding better results than my 4.9Ghz 2600K. The average improvement was about 5FPS if I recall correctly, so there is benefit but it's up to you whether it's worth it to you.

4770K does have some other benefits such as supporting pcie3.0 as well as more native SATA 6GB/s and USB3 ports.

Just FYI, my 4.5Ghz 4770K is yielding better results than my 4.9Ghz 2600K. The average improvement was about 5FPS if I recall correctly, so there is benefit but it's up to you whether it's worth it to you.

4770K does have some other benefits such as supporting pcie3.0 as well as more native SATA 6GB/s and USB3 ports.

Oh nice.. then mine should improve by maybe as much as 7-8 fps i would think.

Did you Delid your cpu to make it cooler.. or just went as is?  Which cooler do you use.. i'm thinking ill just give the 80i a shot and not delid for now (and hope i get a good chip in the lottery of overclocking).. 

also have you run Passmarks cpumark on that by chance?

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Where do you buy your hardware from?

Rob

"Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it"

I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Where do you buy your hardware from?

For me wherever is cheaper.. newegg, buy.com and amazon usually.. or whomever can get me the parts by the weekend if i go forward lol

Yeah I buy from Newegg. They have slowed down a little in payment processing takes like a full day and a 1/2 (in my case) but it used to take 10 minutes and get my stuff in 1-2 days.

Amazon....Always takes over a week on my purchases. Never will go for free shipping from them again. Then it can take multiple weeks. I have not tried buy.com.

Sooo writing this on my new card and monitors that I just finished setting up 5 minutes ago. YAAAHOOO!

If we do not go out tonight I will get to fly FSX for the first time in years on a Nvidia card again.

Oddly my computer is having problems for the last 2 days not recognizing one of my hard drives. Unless I boot in safe mode and then restart and everything is fine... Kinda takes away from my love of the new setup (has nothing to do with my new GPU since it started yesterday).

Off to do some research on the problem.

Rob

Well i ended up going with the 4770K.. got parts from both amazon and tigerdirect.. tigerdirect had some coupon codes (cpu there and h80i cooler)..

I hope i can keep it cool enough with the h80i corsair, since my existing case cant take dual 120's like the kraken x60.  And hopefully cool enough to reach 4.5 without deliding it.

Parts get here friday.. my old i7 2600k and board will then go up for sale soon there after :)

Oh nice.. then mine should improve by maybe as much as 7-8 fps i would think.

Did you Delid your cpu to make it cooler.. or just went as is?  Which cooler do you use.. i'm thinking ill just give the 80i a shot and not delid for now (and hope i get a good chip in the lottery of overclocking).. 

also have you run Passmarks cpumark on that by chance?

No I haven't delidded. Not really interested in going down that path to be honest. I'm running a H110 and temps when gaming peak at 60*C. That's the hottest I've seen it get unless stress testing.

Sorry, haven't run cpu mark or anything like that.

Its worth noting that with 4SS my max memory is around 2040 and GPU % around 59%.. if i switch to 4SGSS this becomes 2500MB and 99% (bufferpools = 0).. this in the FTX PNW region (with full on clouds and rain), this is on the 780ti 3GB (max volts shows 1.2v), while core max 1137 and memory 1749, temp max 74C, fan 79%. (external lock at 30)  

Only if you add clouds with rain does it hit 99% on 4xSGSS.. otherwise around 66%. (4xSS with weather and rain and a heavy region gpu load is 84%)

I would think that the fact the gpu hits 99% means either i should tweak fsx.cfg differently than maybe UsePools=0  or maybe sli of 770 or 780 would actually be of help.. though a recent test with scenery complexity down a notch still resulted in 22 fps to 26 fps in severe KSEA weather at 4SGSS.

I'm also hoping moving to the haswell 4770k at 4.5 or higher will free up any CPU bottleneck that could also be occurring, though i'm guessing even this 780ti cant keep up with the data being sent.. hence 99%.

**Its interesting to note that even lowering to 3840x800 and 4SGSS, utilization still hits 99% (3840x800-1050 is where most that have 4SGSS seem to fly on with good success).. frame rates go from 11.05 to 22 fps or so, for the Word Not Allowed Cloud test AA (too grainy to use on my screens though, non native).  So utilization maybe not a big indicator of much here.

I'm also hoping moving to the haswell 4770k at 4.5 or higher will free up any CPU bottleneck that could also be occurring, though i'm guessing even this 780ti cant keep up with the data being sent.. hence 99%.

I see that you also fly P3D and XPlane.

What sort of frame rates do you get in these?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Funny I oomed at the end of the runway on my first flight with the new card..... using the same settings I was using on the 7950. Except for the Word Not Allowed adjustments in NV Insp.

Actually made me laugh at the irony.

Did not have time to tweak and test again but maybe later today. I will go through everything and will adjust my settings, fsx.cfg, and NV inspector settings.

Too funny since the new card runs all of the latest software at max settings. FSX is one fickle lady.

Rob

I see that you also fly P3D and XPlane.

What sort of frame rates do you get in these?

gb.

Well its been awhile since I used either one.. they arent installed at the moment.. however.. ill be able to tell you a bit on Prepar3D 2.0 come monday :)

Super stoked.

Funny I oomed at the end of the runway on my first flight with the new card..... using the same settings I was using on the 7950. Except for the Word Not Allowed adjustments in NV Insp.

Actually made me laugh at the irony.

Did not have time to tweak and test again but maybe later today. I will go through everything and will adjust my settings, fsx.cfg, and NV inspector settings.

Too funny since the new card runs all of the latest software at max settings. FSX is one fickle lady.

Whats your LOD radius?

Which runway/addon and aircraft?

With an NGX that I rarely use.. i showed 238,000 free memory in FSUIPC in toulouse france/ftxg (this with a clean bare dll.xml).. with a default cessna in a non addon area 2.3GB free.. unselecting scenery in sceneryconfig editor made not difference

If i lowered LOD from 7.5 to 4.5 i had a large jump in free memory.. for the default cessna one maybe 2.3GB to 2.9GB

I had actually started this thread on the issue.. yeah FSX can be a beast.. but.. prepar3d 2.0 arrives monday $59 academic :)

Yeah I didn't give details since it was just a "what if" flight. Funny the 7950 ran with those settings and worked great but the 780 oomed in minutes.

I actually changed a bunch of stuff since then so no idea what the settings where. Pretty much line for line of Kostas settings.

Airfield was Orbx - PAKT, PFJ, Full rain (realtime weather with Opus and REX) night time. A2A 172 - no GPS. LINDA, SPAD, RemoteFlight, VAC, GoFlight pushing 5 panels 2 throttles, yoke, pedals, Cessna Trim Wheel.

I am going out tonight so will check again on Sunday or maybe tomorrow night.

I am doing my usual wait and see on P3D2. If I can not get my Saitek panels working in it I will not be onboard.

Rob