Sign in to follow this  
BleedAir

Woman gives birth during flight

I wonder if the Birth Certificate will be Canadian or International?

I have a friend that was born on an international flight back in the early 1980's and her Birth Certificates has the latitude longitude of approximately where she was born but registered in Sweden where the plane was diverted to. 

Matthew Kane

I have to wonder why the "emergency landing at Yellowknife" at all? There were enough real doctors on board who assisted with the delivery of a healthy child, so just what was the "emergency?"

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I have to wonder why the "emergency landing at Yellowknife" at all? There were enough real doctors on board who assisted with the delivery of a healthy child, so just what was the "emergency?"

Insurance liability emergency!  :p0504: 

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Wouldnt the baby have a Dutch brith certificate? Coreect me if I'm wrong, but I thought that aircraft are still considered a 'part' of the country in which they are registered.

Wouldnt the baby have a Dutch brith certificate? Coreect me if I'm wrong, but I thought that aircraft are still considered a 'part' of the country in which they are registered.

From my understanding in this case the birth would be on Dutch Soil only if the aircraft was in international airspace at the time, If they were over Canada at the time that would mean it happened in Canada. 

In Canada as long as the baby was born in Canada, regardless of the parents citizenship, that baby would be automatically Canadian. So from my interpretation as long as that aircraft was over Canada at the time, that baby would be a Canadian Citizen.

USA has the same law, As long as the boat or aircraft is in USA Territory, regardless of the registration of the vessel, that baby was born in the USA.

Matthew Kane

From my understanding in this case the birth would be on Dutch Soil only of the aircraft was in international airspace, If they were over Canada at the time that would mean it happened in Canada. 

In Canada as long as the baby was born in Canada, regardless of the parents citizenship, that baby would be automatically Canadian. So from my interpretation as long as that aircraft was over Canada at the time, that baby would be a Canadian Citizen.

USA has the same law, As long as the boat or aircraft is in USA Territory, regardless of the registration of the vessel, that baby was born in the USA.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. This may be going a little off topic, but I did think that the laws of the country of registration come into play on the plane. For example, if you tampered with a smoke detector on a KLM plane that took off from, say, Chicago and was still over US airspace you would be subjected to penalty under Dutch and not American law. Similarly, a 19 year old can board a Lufthansa plane in the US and have alcohol even though the legal drinking age in the US is 21 (in most states). Would all of that be correct or is the aircraft subject to the law of the airspace it is flying in? 

Would all of that be correct or is the aircraft subject to the law of the airspace it is flying in? 

With the USA they are subject to US law when they are over US airspace. But it will vary from country to country.

So if an aircraft is flying from Montreal to Jamaica where both the departure and arrival ports the drinking age is 18, while over the USA they would be subject to US Law being 21 years old, even if they are not landing there. Wether or not they enforce this would be up to the airline. My guess is they don't but I am not sure.

Tampering with a smoke detector would be subject to US law while over US airspace.

Matthew Kane