Sign in to follow this  
mrmertz

FSX Refuses FSGenesis

There are some FSGenesis add-on sceneries that need to be activated by FSX that are sitting within the add-on scenery folder yet FSX sees no files there. When I back out and manually go into the file in question, all the files have a .bgl extension. They are there, FSGensis put them in there automatically and according to the docs is says to find the folder (which FSX does) and click "OK". When I do that it simply brings up the scenery folder within and says there are no matching items. How can FSX show an empty folder and yet when I go look it's loaded with the files?

One more reason I just find MSFS series to be way too high maintenance.

There are some FSGenesis add-on sceneries that need to be activated by FSX that are sitting within the add-on scenery folder yet FSX sees no files there. When I back out and manually go into the file in question, all the files have a .bgl extension. They are there, FSGensis put them in there automatically and according to the docs is says to find the folder (which FSX does) and click "OK". When I do that it simply brings up the scenery folder within and says there are no matching items. How can FSX show an empty folder and yet when I go look it's loaded with the files?

One more reason I just find MSFS series to be way too high maintenance.

Any subfolder under the addon scenery folder other then "scenery" must have its own entry in the scenery database. IF FSGenesis didn't add it in the installation, then you need to add it manually.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Could this be an issue with Windows Vista and 7 regarding adding addon scenery? Under these operating systems manually adding entries to the scenery library can be a bit tricky.

Here is a post on how to add scenery to FSX with vista or W7:

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/topic/6035-how-to-add-scenery-to-fsx-with-windows-7/

The correct setup for a scenery folder should be:

Scenery Name/scenery/

All the .bgl files go into this scenery folder and you add the "Scenery Name" folder to your scenery library. Obviously the "Scenery Name" will change depending on what scenery you are installing.

If there is any autogen or textures then there will also be a folder: 

Scenery Name/texture/

Those should contain all the .agn or .dds files.

Now, if these FSGenesis bgl files have been added to the Flight Simulator X/Addon Scenery/Scenery folder then there is nothing you need to do.

This "Addon Scenery" folder is a default FSX folder and should already be in your scenery library. It is on top of all the other default scenery folders and will usually be below any 3rd party scenery you may have. Any bgl file added to this folder will become part of your scenery the next time you restart FSX as long as the "Addon Scenery" folder is still in your scenery library (ie you haven't removed it from your scenery library).  You can check this by removing the bgl files and restarting FSX. You should get a rebuilding scenery database message. Then you can quit FSX and return the bgl files. Again you should get a rebuilding scenery database message.

www.antsairplanes.com

On my system there's a subfolder under the addon scenery folder called FSGS with it's own scenery folder. It is set in my scenery database, but I don't remember if it was automatically set there by the installer, or I had to enter it manually, but it's there and working.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d