Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Thanks to Ron Attwood!

I've made some progress with painting!  Weeee!  He was kind enough to help me out on teamspeak walk me through the PS, dxtbmp steps to get my issues sorted!

Obviously I have a long walk ahead but I've got this stripe on the Legacy.  (I wanted to start with the Duke but all the sheets scared me away lol!).

So here it is (mesh enabled to help me line up)... maybe it will actually look good someday hahah!

Edited by firehawk44
Image removed. Exceeds 400KB weight limit. Please repost with proper size.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

That looks really nice Ryan. :cool:

I knew Ron had to be good for something!  :P  :lol:

Thats pretty cool...I kind of like those lines in the hull. It gives i sort of a carbon fiber look.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Looks like you're off to a good start. Your effort is actually quite motivational, speaking as one who every so often considers getting into repainting...but never actually does.

Please keep the updates coming...

Yes Holdit... I've been like you my entire flightsim journey. I've always been the user, you know, asking for repaints etc. I want to be able to do a paint myself eventually , so I decided its time to learn!

Also I'm the type of learner that needs some sort of visual teaching. I went through some YT tutorials but it appeared I always missed 1 step. Ron's "photoshop tutorial" really filled in the missing pieces!

Still I'm unable to get that DDS nvidia plugin working.

What we ended up doing was saving the psd as a bmp, flipping in DXTbmp, then saving as dxt5 (DDS). It might be an extra step or so but I was dead in the water with the nvidia plugin INOP anyway.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I managed to sneak in 15 in after lunch and before work... all for a mismatched line!!  Note to self:  my naked eye sucks!  Back into the psd to get this these lines lined up.  I also learned to make a new layer for anything I plan on moving separate from other items.  Basically I had to redo the entire thing because wrongly grouped the fuselage and front cowl stripes together haha.  Then I went to move them and the entire fuselage moved eeek!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Yes, I add my thanks to Ron as well.  I have many of his fine add-ons.  Hope you are reading this Ron because you deserve kudos for many jobs well done.

So this is what I've got now...  the stripes were a PITA to line up (and it's still not great).  I've got to figure out a better way to line stuff up ugh!

Anyway couldn't think of a base color so I just picked gray.  In my head I'm thinking a shiny silver would be neat but I don't know how to make that work in FSX.  Should I put something on the wings?  Like the same pinstriping I did on the fuselage?  No idea...

Comments?  Criticisms?

In the meantime I found some cool Legacy paints while looking at google image search.  The curves.... no idea how to do them... maybe I'll just try.  But some of the simpler ones seem tempting.  I'l leave the Duke alone for now!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |